Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Sex education in the US

Sex education in the US

Old May 5th 2016, 1:42 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute
Default Sex education in the US

Or should I give this thread the title "non-sex education in Texas".

The approved programme for the sex-ed in schools in my district is called "Worth the Wait". The kids get to sign a "virginity" pledge - ie they sign to say that they understand that for all kinds of social and medical reasons they should not have pre-marital sex.

At age 13 my daughter has still not been taugh about contraception in her Texas school, friends tell me that the subject of condom use is broached at the delicate age of 15.
They put the girls and boys in separate classes to educate them so god knows what the boys get told. My daughter has already been told that her future husband may not respect her quite so much if she's "been around" and has a "reputation".

This in a state that has had recent abortion laws rejected by the Supreme Court for undermining women's rights.

Good job the french system had told her about just about everything from menstruation to HIV prevention before she left primary.

I pulled her out of the classes for the last 2 years but this year she didn't tell me about them because she wanted a laugh.
Old May 5th 2016, 1:55 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sex education in the US

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
They put the girls and boys in separate classes to educate them so god knows what the boys get told.
They do that in the UK and Australia as well. At least for some of the classes anyway.
Old May 5th 2016, 2:06 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
They do that in the UK and Australia as well. At least for some of the classes anyway.
wow.
and yet France has one of the lowest teen pregnancy rates in the world. Which ones have the highest and is on the rise last time I looked?

I have a few complaints about the french ed system but the absolute straight forward, non-judgemental way they present the facts to both girls and boys on this subject is great. Why would you want to separate out the sexes? The whole idea of keeping them together is to encourage discussion between the sexes.
Old May 5th 2016, 2:54 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think it's taught in much of a different way down my way either. I'll have to ask one of the mum's with an older kid.
Old May 5th 2016, 3:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

They sometimes have to get permission to use the word vagina...

Teacher Says She Was Fired For Saying The Word 'Vagina' | ThinkProgress
Old May 5th 2016, 3:09 pm
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
Why would you want to separate out the sexes?
To make it easier for the girls to ask sensitive questions and minimize embarrassment.
Old May 5th 2016, 3:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

kodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond repute

The sex ed where we lived in AZ was an 'abstinence only' curriculum; it was a highly religious Mormon area, and they'd packed out the school board. Contraception was explicitly not mentioned; if it came up in conversation, the message was 'that's something to discuss with your parents, not here' (along with masturbation and homosexuality).

I supplemented this at home for my kids, in a loud and explicit manner.

My son is just coming to the end of his high school health semester in OH (a graduation requirement) and it appears to be much better. It's still giving a message of 'waiting is better, this is a serious adult matter' and talking a lot about diseases, but he has been taught about contraception and the efficacy of the various methods. Girls and boys are taught together, and I think he now knows more about menstruation, fertility and female reproductive anatomy than I did at that age!

I'm pleased with the balance of teaching not only focusing on how to prevent babies, but acknowledging that at some point these teens may deliberately want to make one, and should know how. Too often sex ed class seems to be designed around a couple of years, rather than the rest of one's life.
Old May 5th 2016, 3:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

kodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
They sometimes have to get permission to use the word vagina...

Teacher Says She Was Fired For Saying The Word 'Vagina' | ThinkProgress
Son said the very first lesson, the teacher opened by standing at the front and saying repeatedly 'Vagina, vagina, vagina, penis, penis, penis... they're words, we're going to be saying them a LOT, get the sniggering over and done with now so we can all move on.'
Old May 5th 2016, 3:40 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Will there be a section on "bathrooms"?
Old May 5th 2016, 4:03 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutek
Will there be a section on "bathrooms"?
In before Boiler makes a toilet reference?

Why are Americans so bloody repressed, though? Puritanical weirdos. I mean, I don't want my daughter having sex anymore than anyone else does, but what's the sure fire way to push teens into having it earlier? Making it sound bad, forbidden and therefore exciting.

Do a realistic lesson on the reality of sex, in all its messy, hair pulling, missing the right hole, 'where's the tissues and where the hell did my underwear go anyway?', glory. Kids will be happy to wait then

Also, make them all have to watch an actual baby for a few hours a week. They'll realise what little shits children are and will cut off their knobs and buy chastity knickers before you can say 'I'm off for a wank instead'.
Old May 5th 2016, 4:05 pm
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute

Teaching the kids that sexually active girls are sluts? Nice. And I'm sure absolutely nothing was said about boys who have sex before marriage.

Originally Posted by kodokan
Son said the very first lesson, the teacher opened by standing at the front and saying repeatedly 'Vagina, vagina, vagina, penis, penis, penis... they're words, we're going to be saying them a LOT, get the sniggering over and done with now so we can all move on.'
I used to do this when we covered the human reproductive system in Yr7 science. It worked
Old May 5th 2016, 4:20 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
In before Boiler makes a toilet reference?

'I'm off for a wank instead'.
NSFW audio!

Old May 5th 2016, 4:30 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

That was a great bit. "That's it, I can't live anymore, I'm going to jump off a bridge or something. On the other hand, I might have a wee wank before I go ..." (paraphrased). Good old Billy
Old May 5th 2016, 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
That was a great bit. "That's it, I can't live anymore, I'm going to jump off a bridge or something. On the other hand, I might have a wee wank before I go ..." (paraphrased). Good old Billy
Just counting my willies...
Old May 5th 2016, 4:39 pm
I have a comma problem

Just counting my willies...
People tend to go a bit Bonnie Langford when you catch them having a wank ...

****ing hell, I forgot how much I love his stuff.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.