Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Sex education in the US

Sex education in the US

Old May 6th 2016, 3:20 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sex education in the US

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
Another issue that I have talked about with my son recently...
HPV vaccinations. Eldest daughter received the vaccinations in France at age 13, France has since decided to offer the vaccine to boys - why they didn't do this right from the start is beyond me. Som has agreed that he should get the vaccine too.

In light of recent research (Gender differences in risk factors and natural history of oral human papillomavirus (HPV) infection) showing that throat cancers are on the increase amongst men due to oral sex.

enjoy your toast and coffee!
HPV vaccine should be a matter of course, just like the MMR or tetanus but you know how batshit crazy some people get regarding vaccinations in the US
Old May 6th 2016, 3:29 pm
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yellowroom
Why do you think it's the parent's responsibility? you've not addressed any of kokokan's points apart from nit-picking on the definition of 'teaching religion'
Why should it not be the parents responsibility ? Could it be that it's because parents are too embarrassed to discuss the subject with their kids so "let the schools take care of it instead" ?

I imagine that any kid would feel more at ease asking his parents questions on the subject during an open discussion that asking a teacher in the classroom such questions
Old May 6th 2016, 3:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Anian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond repute

Many parents are so up tight about sex that their kids won't get any "education" about it until their wedding night.

I don't know why anyone would be against the teaching of basic biology and healthcare. Oh yeah, it inconveniently sidesteps religion as a means of social control.
Old May 6th 2016, 3:52 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dc koop
I imagine that any kid would feel more at ease asking his parents questions on the subject during an open discussion that asking a teacher in the classroom such questions
I don't know what universe you live in, but there was no way I was ever going to ask my parents any kind of question about knobbing at all.
Old May 6th 2016, 3:54 pm
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute

Why should it not be the parents responsibility ? Could it be that it's because parents are too embarrassed to discuss the subject with their kids so "let the schools take care of it instead" ?

Any kid?

That's pretty blinkered, to be honest.

Sure, in an ideal world all parents would be well educated, have great relationships with their kids, and have fostered an environment of open and honest discourse.

But let's consider the real world.

Half the population has a below average IQ.
900,000 children per year are the victims of abuse or neglect.
61% of children are more likely to seek sexual advice from equally ignorant friends than from parents.
The highest rates of poverty and social inequity are associated with the highest rates of sexual activity and teen pregnancy.
A huge number of parents are uncomfortable talking about sexuality.

What we have are massive numbers of kids who either don't have a healthy relationship with a parent, don't have a parent, have a parent who isn't intelligent enough to know when they're spreading misinformation or to understand the truth, or have a parent who simply refuses to speak about sex.

I have taught multiple classes of 11yr olds this precise subject and, believe you me, the thought that all parents can be wholly responsible for teaching accurate information about sex is laughable. The misconceptions that those kids come in with are mind blowing, and I can tell you right now that the majority will ask questions during these classes that they would never ask their parents (don't forget - most kids simply want to please their parents and don't want their parents to think badly of them. Their Biology teacher is a much safer prospect when it comes to sharing something that is potentially shameful or embarrassing).

Should it be the parents' responsibility? Yes. But let's get real - far too many parents can't or won't, and far too many kids would fall through the cracks. Since society ends up paying the price for kids born to parents who are too young, can't take the responsibility and are not financially capable of raising a child, the responsibility to ensure that all kids receive an adequate sex education rests on all our shoulders.
Old May 6th 2016, 3:54 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
So, a couple of weeks ago, eldest (who is at university near me) said that her room-mate was worried she was pregnant. Eldest quickly got her a pregnancy test and apparently on the way to getting it told her friend "don't worry because if you are pregnant then my mum will help sort you out" Oh dear god, I missed a bullet there.
Anyway, the dr apparently talked her into using birth control. I kid you not. An honors student from a Texas catholic family.

There's been an outbreak of syphillis amongst the students in Lubbock. Apart from taking drugs I don't think the poor kids there have anything else to do so let's hope the drs are instructing them in the use of condoms.
Texas!!

Not unique to Texas. Many areas are seeing STD outbreaks these days. Regions in Canada have seen increases in gonorrhea and syphilis in the last few years.

People tend to have more casual sex these days and more sex with more partners increases risks of STDs.

I can only find data for 2010, but stats Canada reports condom use for ages 15 to 24 was only 68% average.

Albera had one of the highest use rates at 73% but still has issues with gonorrhea and syphilis outbreaks.

15 to 17 year olds are moat likely to use condoms with 80%.

Certainly not unique to Texas.
Old May 6th 2016, 3:57 pm
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Anian
Many parents are so up tight about sex that their kids won't get any "education" about it until their wedding night.

I don't know why anyone would be against the teaching of basic biology and healthcare. Oh yeah, it inconveniently sidesteps religion as a means of social control.
Too bad then but there's truth in it. My dad probably felt perfectly at ease joking about sex at the Men's Working Club but if the subject had been mentioned at home then the full wrath of an offended Yorkshireman would have descended on my head My mother was Catholic and sex was taboo.

I don't blame them in a way. They were products of their time and generation. We now live in the 21st century. There's no excuse for parents these days to have any awkward feelings about the subject. There are plenty of books available. Buy them and let the kids read and be prepared to answer questions.

My first "education" about sex was from drawings and scribbles on lavatory walls. I didn't even know about the covert joys of masturbation until I was clued up by a pal at the age of sixteen

Last edited by dc koop; May 6th 2016 at 4:00 pm.
Old May 6th 2016, 3:59 pm
I have a comma problem

I didn't even know about the covert joys of masturbation until I was clued up by a pal at the age of sixteen
Your mates mustn't have liked you very much. Three wasted years, there
Old May 6th 2016, 4:05 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Just give everyone an anti depressant. Then nobody will have a sex drive and not have sex.....

( not being serious. Many if not most kill sex drives to a point you feel no real need for it. At least the ones I have taken.)
Old May 6th 2016, 4:07 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Just give everyone an anti depressant. Then nobody will have a sex drive and not have sex.....

( not being serious. Many if not most kill sex drives to a point you feel no real need for it. At least the ones I have taken.)
I have heard that but it didn't happen when I was on them. Not that the local fanny was beating a path to my door at the time either, of course. At least I was happy and not getting any, as opposed to the alternative, I suppose
Old May 6th 2016, 4:14 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
I don't know what universe you live in, but there was no way I was ever going to ask my parents any kind of question about knobbing at all.
Course you wouldn't. Neither would I have but that was then. We should have moved on a bit. Better to start teaching a child going through puberty about the subject through educational books and discussions at home. This is what my daughter is doing at the moment with her eldest girl and she's absolutely right.
Old May 6th 2016, 4:16 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Your mates mustn't have liked you very much. Three wasted years, there
I certainly made up for those three wasted years though
Old May 6th 2016, 4:19 pm
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute

Course you wouldn't. Neither would I have but that was then. We should have moved on a bit. Better to start teaching a child going through puberty about the subject through educational books and discussions at home. This is what my daughter is doing at the moment with her eldest girl and she's absolutely right.
Yes, she is, and kudos to her. The education that your granddaughter is receiving is undoubtedly more in-depth and superior to anything she will receive at school.

But there aren't too many parents like your daughter, sad to say.
Old May 6th 2016, 4:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

LondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond repute

I think condoms do work pretty well if used correctly. A colleague was married for several years using only condoms until they decided to go for a baby, at which point she got pregnant. Daughter is now 16 and no other children, so the condoms continued to work. She couldn't take the pill for health reasons.
Old May 6th 2016, 4:36 pm
I have a comma problem

It wasn't that long ago, thank you very much.

I keep it practical (with my son, my daughter is only six and I plan to be dead before she becomes sexually active):

Don't put your dick in crazy, don't put your dick in anything unless it's wrapped, and stay single for as long as you can because it will forever remain the best years of your life.

He knows the biology, and what the undesirable end results are, but I'm not sitting down with him and having touchy feely conversations with him about getting his end away, either.

Originally Posted by LondonSquirrel
I think condoms do work pretty well if used correctly. A colleague was married for several years using only condoms until they decided to go for a baby, at which point she got pregnant. Daughter is now 16 and no other children, so the condoms continued to work. She couldn't take the pill for health reasons.
That's how it is for us. My wife couldn't go on the pill because of her blood pressure, so I rubber up. Can't take the blame for the child she had before we met of course, but in 12 years, we have had one pregnancy and that's how it shall stay.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.