British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Trailer Park (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/)
-   -   Sex education in the US (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/sex-education-us-877015/)

petitefrancaise May 5th 2016 1:42 pm

Sex education in the US

Or should I give this thread the title "non-sex education in Texas".

The approved programme for the sex-ed in schools in my district is called "Worth the Wait". The kids get to sign a "virginity" pledge - ie they sign to say that they understand that for all kinds of social and medical reasons they should not have pre-marital sex.

At age 13 my daughter has still not been taugh about contraception in her Texas school, friends tell me that the subject of condom use is broached at the delicate age of 15.
They put the girls and boys in separate classes to educate them so god knows what the boys get told. My daughter has already been told that her future husband may not respect her quite so much if she's "been around" and has a "reputation".

This in a state that has had recent abortion laws rejected by the Supreme Court for undermining women's rights.

Good job the french system had told her about just about everything from menstruation to HIV prevention before she left primary.

I pulled her out of the classes for the last 2 years but this year she didn't tell me about them because she wanted a laugh.

moneypenny20 May 5th 2016 1:55 pm

Re: Sex education in the US

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise (Post 11940356)
They put the girls and boys in separate classes to educate them so god knows what the boys get told.

They do that in the UK and Australia as well. At least for some of the classes anyway.

petitefrancaise May 5th 2016 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by moneypenny20 (Post 11940370)
They do that in the UK and Australia as well. At least for some of the classes anyway.

wow.
and yet France has one of the lowest teen pregnancy rates in the world. Which ones have the highest and is on the rise last time I looked?

I have a few complaints about the french ed system but the absolute straight forward, non-judgemental way they present the facts to both girls and boys on this subject is great. Why would you want to separate out the sexes? The whole idea of keeping them together is to encourage discussion between the sexes.

Bob May 5th 2016 2:54 pm

I don't think it's taught in much of a different way down my way either. I'll have to ask one of the mum's with an older kid.

sir_eccles May 5th 2016 3:08 pm

They sometimes have to get permission to use the word vagina...

Teacher Says She Was Fired For Saying The Word 'Vagina' | ThinkProgress

RoadWarriorFromLP May 5th 2016 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise (Post 11940394)
Why would you want to separate out the sexes?

To make it easier for the girls to ask sensitive questions and minimize embarrassment.

kodokan May 5th 2016 3:18 pm

The sex ed where we lived in AZ was an 'abstinence only' curriculum; it was a highly religious Mormon area, and they'd packed out the school board. Contraception was explicitly not mentioned; if it came up in conversation, the message was 'that's something to discuss with your parents, not here' (along with masturbation and homosexuality).

I supplemented this at home for my kids, in a loud and explicit manner.

My son is just coming to the end of his high school health semester in OH (a graduation requirement) and it appears to be much better. It's still giving a message of 'waiting is better, this is a serious adult matter' and talking a lot about diseases, but he has been taught about contraception and the efficacy of the various methods. Girls and boys are taught together, and I think he now knows more about menstruation, fertility and female reproductive anatomy than I did at that age!

I'm pleased with the balance of teaching not only focusing on how to prevent babies, but acknowledging that at some point these teens may deliberately want to make one, and should know how. Too often sex ed class seems to be designed around a couple of years, rather than the rest of one's life.

kodokan May 5th 2016 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by sir_eccles (Post 11940449)
They sometimes have to get permission to use the word vagina...

Teacher Says She Was Fired For Saying The Word 'Vagina' | ThinkProgress

Son said the very first lesson, the teacher opened by standing at the front and saying repeatedly 'Vagina, vagina, vagina, penis, penis, penis... they're words, we're going to be saying them a LOT, get the sniggering over and done with now so we can all move on.'

Nutek May 5th 2016 3:40 pm

Will there be a section on "bathrooms"?

SultanOfSwing May 5th 2016 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by Nutek (Post 11940473)
Will there be a section on "bathrooms"?

In before Boiler makes a toilet reference?

Why are Americans so bloody repressed, though? Puritanical weirdos. I mean, I don't want my daughter having sex anymore than anyone else does, but what's the sure fire way to push teens into having it earlier? Making it sound bad, forbidden and therefore exciting.

Do a realistic lesson on the reality of sex, in all its messy, hair pulling, missing the right hole, 'where's the tissues and where the hell did my underwear go anyway?', glory. Kids will be happy to wait then :nod:

Also, make them all have to watch an actual baby for a few hours a week. They'll realise what little shits children are and will cut off their knobs and buy chastity knickers before you can say 'I'm off for a wank instead'.

Wintersong May 5th 2016 4:05 pm

Teaching the kids that sexually active girls are sluts? Nice. And I'm sure absolutely nothing was said about boys who have sex before marriage.

Originally Posted by kodokan (Post 11940461)
Son said the very first lesson, the teacher opened by standing at the front and saying repeatedly 'Vagina, vagina, vagina, penis, penis, penis... they're words, we're going to be saying them a LOT, get the sniggering over and done with now so we can all move on.'

I used to do this when we covered the human reproductive system in Yr7 science. It worked :lol:

Nutek May 5th 2016 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 11940495)
In before Boiler makes a toilet reference?

'I'm off for a wank instead'.

NSFW audio!

SultanOfSwing May 5th 2016 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by Nutek (Post 11940508)

That was a great bit. "That's it, I can't live anymore, I'm going to jump off a bridge or something. On the other hand, I might have a wee wank before I go ..." (paraphrased). Good old Billy :lol:

Nutek May 5th 2016 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 11940521)
That was a great bit. "That's it, I can't live anymore, I'm going to jump off a bridge or something. On the other hand, I might have a wee wank before I go ..." (paraphrased). Good old Billy :lol:

Just counting my willies...

SultanOfSwing May 5th 2016 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by Nutek (Post 11940532)
Just counting my willies...

People tend to go a bit Bonnie Langford when you catch them having a wank ...

****ing hell, I forgot how much I love his stuff.