Reload this Page >

the Scottish independence issue

the Scottish independence issue

Old Jan 9th 2014, 6:44 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: the Scottish independence issue

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Immigration within the European Onion is effectively uncontrollable, and that accounts for 95%+ of immigration into the UK. So unless Scotland is planning on leaving the EU, there is ****-all that an independent Scottish government could do about immigration!
Scotland would need first to join the EU, which for a whole variety of reasons is not a given.
Old Jan 9th 2014, 6:57 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neilcumming
Im not blaming the english ,its the UK parliment that is broken .The scottish government has shown over its 2 terms it can do better and if we can control things like the crazy immigration system ( or no system) we could even better.
Maybe you could elaborate? You keep making these sweeping statements with no evidence or detail.

Are you familar with the Barnett formula? That is the main reason why Scotland has done well since devolution, not "the Scottish government" Independence = no more Barnett formula.
Old Jan 9th 2014, 7:18 pm
Mouthy Yank

Speedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond repute

Why are you all ruining good Scotch with your compound constructions? The only thing I take in my Scotch is a dribble of clear water.

Incidentally, can anyone put me on to a supplier of Highland Spring or Deeside water in the US where the shipping isn't actually more than the #%$%*&# water costs? They do not have it at the shop in the Rice Village.
Old Jan 10th 2014, 12:20 am
BE Forum Addict

neilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
Maybe you could elaborate? You keep making these sweeping statements with no evidence or detail.

Are you familar with the Barnett formula? That is the main reason why Scotland has done well since devolution, not "the Scottish government" Independence = no more Barnett formula.
Its not really a sweeping statement ,much more simple than that.The concept of independence is self governance or simply put,to do better than the last mob.The Barnett formula only came into use in the 70s .Of course it wont exist after independence but the scottish government has done better ,its not me just saying it ,its a fact .
Old Jan 10th 2014, 8:40 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Its not really a sweeping statement ,much more simple than that.The concept of independence is self governance or simply put,to do better than the last mob.The Barnett formula only came into use in the 70s .Of course it wont exist after independence but the scottish government has done better ,its not me just saying it ,its a fact .
I see, when you say "fact", you mean it in the way Alex Salmond means it - "It is a fact because I say it is a fact".
Old Jan 10th 2014, 11:18 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

My impression is that everything changed with Maggie Thatcher.
Actually, I think the rot set in when we pinched the stone scone, though why the theft of a stale pastry should cause so much hard feeling is a mystery.
Old Jan 10th 2014, 3:40 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I miss Lardy Cakes.
Old Jan 10th 2014, 3:44 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
I miss Lardy Cakes.
ooooooh.

I had forgotten those.
Old Jan 10th 2014, 3:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

CelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
Actually, I think the rot set in when we pinched the stone scone, though why the theft of a stale pastry should cause so much hard feeling is a mystery.
Yes there was always that issue, which of course was compounded by the cross border sheep rustling in which you lot constantly indulged. Bad enough in itself, it didn't help that the sheep were never the same after their alleged intimacy with their captors. Who could blame them?
Old Jan 10th 2014, 3:52 pm
Ping-ponger

Originally Posted by CelticRover
Yes there was always that issue, which of course was compounded by the cross border sheep rustling in which you lot constantly indulged. Bad enough in itself, it didn't help that the sheep were never the same after their alleged intimacy with their captors. Who could blame them?
It's not our fault you could no longer satisfy them.
Old Jan 10th 2014, 3:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

neilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond repute

I see, when you say "fact", you mean it in the way Alex Salmond means it - "It is a fact because I say it is a fact".
Ok Im not Alex Salmond but tell me if these are facts or fiction.The Community Care & Health Act free personal care for the elderly ,Mental Health Act ,every person with mental health disorder the right of independent adovacy,Homeless Act ,homeless people the right to perm.accommodation,no university fees for students,free public transport for 16 to 18yr old,over 60s and disabled,no precscription fees.Correct me if Im wrong but England has none of these .In England some people are having to sell their elderly parents homes to pay for care. One of Scotlands big problem is alcholism,the scottish government is addessing this problem which was completely ignored by UK parliment. Obviously its not all rosy but I believe the scottish government ARE doing better.
Old Jan 10th 2014, 3:53 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

They were kinda needy.
Old Jan 10th 2014, 4:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

CelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond repute

Indeed, why try when we could depend on you lot?
Old Jan 10th 2014, 4:08 pm
Mouthy Yank

Speedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CelticRover
Indeed, why try when we could depend on you lot?
And over in Houston, a Yank with no dog in the fight has to excuse herself to the loo so she can laugh her head off without co-workers staring...
Old Jan 10th 2014, 4:23 pm
Ping-ponger

Ok Im not Alex Salmond but tell me if these are facts or fiction.The Community Care & Health Act free personal care for the elderly ,Mental Health Act ,every person with mental health disorder the right of independent adovacy,Homeless Act ,homeless people the right to perm.accommodation,no university fees for students,free public transport for 16 to 18yr old,over 60s and disabled,no precscription fees.Correct me if Im wrong but England has none of these .In England some people are having to sell their elderly parents homes to pay for care. One of Scotlands big problem is alcholism,the scottish government is addessing this problem which was completely ignored by UK parliment. Obviously its not all rosy but I believe the scottish government ARE doing better.
Acts existed in the UK before and after devolution, they aren't a Scottish invention.

UK Mental Health Act 1983
Housing Act 1996; Homelessness Act 2002
NHS & Community Care Act 1990

It's easy with Wikipedia - but you end up getting an incomplete picture (for example, prescriptions aren't free for "over 60's and disabled" in Scotland - they are free for everyone).

I completely agree that social welfare provision is marginally better in Scotland (I live there, experience it first-hand, watch local Scottish TV and listen to local radio every day and read local newspapers, I don't need to use Wikipedia to search for facts). But most of this social welfare provision has been subsidized by an imbalance of tax revenue allocated to Scotland, which won't be there after independence.

And free university will be a thing of the past when the UK and Scotland become independent - it will become illegal to charge English students and they will be over the border in their thousands. The only feasible solution will be to charge everyone. Try Googling Bologna Agreement.

As for harmonious government following independence, I watch First Minister's Questions regularly and it makes Prime Minister's Questions look like a love-in.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.