Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

the Scottish independence issue

the Scottish independence issue

Old Jan 10th 2014, 5:39 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: the Scottish independence issue

Originally Posted by dunroving
like that .
Old Jan 10th 2014, 5:41 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutek
OK, you got me. The kind of sheep I'd be holding would be much better looking. There, I've said it. One step down, nine to go.
Old Jan 10th 2014, 5:42 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutek
I thought Hamish Macbeth had it.

Old Jan 10th 2014, 6:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

neilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond repute

Acts existed in the UK before and after devolution, they aren't a Scottish invention.

UK Mental Health Act 1983
Housing Act 1996; Homelessness Act 2002
NHS & Community Care Act 1990

It's easy with Wikipedia - but you end up getting an incomplete picture (for example, prescriptions aren't free for "over 60's and disabled" in Scotland - they are free for everyone).

I completely agree that social welfare provision is marginally better in Scotland (I live there, experience it first-hand, watch local Scottish TV and listen to local radio every day and read local newspapers, I don't need to use Wikipedia to search for facts). But most of this social welfare provision has been subsidized by an imbalance of tax revenue allocated to Scotland, which won't be there after independence.

And free university will be a thing of the past when the UK and Scotland become independent - it will become illegal to charge English students and they will be over the border in their thousands. The only feasible solution will be to charge everyone. Try Googling Bologna Agreement.

As for harmonious government following independence, I watch First Minister's Questions regularly and it makes Prime Minister's Questions look like a love-in.
The Acts you mentioned are for the UK as a whole,my point is the scottish government has bettered them e.g. the UK community care was "care in the community" in other words no care ,whilst the scottish act is FREE care for the elderly ie.you dont have to sell your parents home as in England to pay for it , can you tell me which the is better ? You are getting mixed up with free public transport and free prescriptions,i didnt say free prescriptions just for over 60s and disabled ,thats for free public transport.If there are only so many places at scottish universities (already taken) how will 1000s of students be coming over the border?
Old Jan 10th 2014, 6:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

neilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
OK, I can't say I really care about what happens to Scotland but my head is going to explode if I read another of your posts ... can you tell me - is there an actual method to the madness of your punctuation, or is there something random going on? I see spaces before commas, no spaces after periods, etc. Is this just another case of someone posting from a tablet or iPhone?
I think you need to get your eyes checked and if you dont care what happens to Scotland why are you on this thread.
Old Jan 10th 2014, 6:12 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neilcumming
I think you need to get your eyes checked and if you dont care what happens to Scotland why are you on this thread.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comma
Old Jan 10th 2014, 6:20 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

The Acts you mentioned are for the UK as a whole,my point is the scottish government has bettered them e.g. the UK community care was "care in the community" in other words no care ,whilst the scottish act is FREE care for the elderly ie.you dont have to sell your parents home as in England to pay for it , can you tell me which the is better ? You are getting mixed up with free public transport and free prescriptions,i didnt say free prescriptions just for over 60s and disabled ,thats for free public transport.If there are only so many places at scottish universities (already taken) how will 1000s of students be coming over the border?
I have no idea about the latter, I only work there.

Because university places are competitive ... ? You can't just say "We will only take Scottish students"
Old Jan 10th 2014, 6:22 pm
Ping-ponger

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Surely you, mean http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Question_mark
Old Jan 10th 2014, 6:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

I meant you got my comments mixed up on previous post.In an independent Scotland wouldnt scottish students take precedent over foreign students if it were still free (and there is no signs to change it) and being funded by scottish taxpayers?
Old Jan 10th 2014, 6:29 pm
I have a comma problem

Oh aye, but I'm not going to do all his research for him
Old Jan 10th 2014, 6:30 pm
Ping-ponger

I meant you got my comments mixed up on previous post.In an independent Scotland wouldnt scottish students take precedent over foreign students if it were still free (and there is no signs to change it) and being funded by scottish taxpayers?
In short, no. It's explained on the other independence thread.

Last edited by dunroving; Jan 10th 2014 at 6:45 pm.
Old Jan 10th 2014, 6:33 pm
I have a comma problem

Not if foreign refers to EU nationals, no.
Old Jan 10th 2014, 6:36 pm
Ping-ponger

If you used punctuation properly I wouldn't get mixed up about what you are saying.

If you re-read your post in a Hemingway-esque stream of consciousness way, it makes perfect sense to assume you were saying "over 60s and disabled, free presecriptions" ...
Old Jan 10th 2014, 7:22 pm
Ping-ponger

So, are we done talking about sheep? Just thought I'd ask. No other reason, really.
Old Jan 10th 2014, 7:39 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

So, are we done talking about sheep? Just thought I'd ask. No other reason, really.

I think that does it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.