Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

the Scottish independence issue

the Scottish independence issue

Old Jan 8th 2014, 4:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

neilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: the Scottish independence issue

Originally Posted by Ulsterman in Texas
I lived in Northern Ireland most of my life, Scotland has 1 more Tory MP than Northern Ireland does, in fact Scotland has more Tory MPs than Northern Ireland has MPs from any of the main UK parties but I don't wine and moan about it, I am still a committed unionist.
With all due respect NI politics are very different to Scotland ,at the '97 election we returned 0 Con. MPs.Im not whining or moaning about it just stating the facts ,Scotland has again a UK government that the majority didnt vote for,this one the main pts for independence,self rule.The oil to US was a bit tongue in cheek but I think the US would rather buy oil from anywhere than middle east.Blair was just another tory lawyer not really labour and Brown I think got the bums rush ,it wasnt his fault the economy went tits -up.
Old Jan 8th 2014, 5:11 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neilcumming
With all due respect NI politics are very different to Scotland ,at the '97 election we returned 0 Con. MPs.Im not whining or moaning about it just stating the facts ,Scotland has again a UK government that the majority didnt vote for,this one the main pts for independence,self rule.The oil to US was a bit tongue in cheek but I think the US would rather buy oil from anywhere than middle east.Blair was just another tory lawyer not really labour and Brown I think got the bums rush ,it wasnt his fault the economy went tits -up.
Wasn't he Chancellor 1997-2007?
Old Jan 8th 2014, 5:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

neilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
Yes ,then he was PM from 2007 to 2010
Old Jan 8th 2014, 5:16 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Details, details.
Old Jan 8th 2014, 5:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Boiler
Details, details.
Dont understand,what details?
Old Jan 8th 2014, 5:38 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Yes ,then he was PM from 2007 to 2010
OK .... note my bold ... maybe you missed it first time.
Old Jan 8th 2014, 6:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

OK .... note my bold ... maybe you missed it first time.
Ah ok,i get but those years were before the financial crisis kicked in around 2008 ,then he became PM ,not much he could do if banks are being greedy and giving out silly loans ,he got the blame and also because he was scottish (my opinon) he got the bullet.Independence would give Scotland better control of these problems .
Old Jan 8th 2014, 7:00 pm
Ping-ponger

Ah ok,i get but those years were before the financial crisis kicked in around 2008 ,then he became PM ,not much he could do if banks are being greedy and giving out silly loans ,he got the blame and also because he was scottish (my opinon) he got the bullet.Independence would give Scotland better control of these problems .
So the economic crisis in 2008 was a bit like spontaneous combustion, then?

Nothing to do with the regulation of banks (or lack thereof) during the preceding 10 years, or government regulation creating an easy-credit environment in which increasing house prices fed a frenzy of remortgaging and spending? Or the fact that government money surpluses weren't put away for a rainy day?

I think the idea that Brown got the blame because he was Scottish only feeds the notion of Scots as victims.

Brown wasn't the only guilty party by a long, long way, but he was hardly blameless.
Old Jan 8th 2014, 7:13 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

It was not exactly a once in a lifetime event either.
Old Jan 8th 2014, 7:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

No Im not saying it was spontaneous combustion.The financial crisis didnt just happen in UK it was worldwide and he got the blame.I lived in England for 11yrs (I left in 2007) and I can tell you first hand people didnt want him as PM because he was scottish.Some english people object to scottish MPs voting on english affairs( even though we are all british).As I said in a previous post the UK political system is broken ,its not working ,at least not for the scots.

Last edited by neilcumming; Jan 8th 2014 at 7:22 pm. Reason: missed out a word
Old Jan 8th 2014, 7:23 pm
Ping-ponger

No Im not saying it was spontaneous combustion.The financial crisis didnt just happen in UK it was worldwide and he got the blame.I lived in England for 11yrs (I left in 2007) and I can tell you first hand people didnt want him as PM because he was scottish.Some english people object to scottish MPs voting on english affairs( even though we are all british).As I said in a previous post the UK political system is broken ,its not working ,at not for the scots.
He's still a hero in Kirkcaldy.
Old Jan 8th 2014, 10:48 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

And that's why the Scotch have to go it alone - so they can stop blaming the English for everything.
Old Jan 8th 2014, 11:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

SarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cape Blue
And that's why the Scotch have to go it alone - so they can stop blaming the English for everything.
The Scotch?! We're not a drink!
Old Jan 9th 2014, 12:04 am

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SarahG
Egg?
Old Jan 9th 2014, 12:13 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SarahG
Originally Posted by Nutek
Egg?
Mist?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.