Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Let's talk about cars

Let's talk about cars

Old Mar 29th 2016, 10:02 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Let's talk about cars

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
Burt Reynolds Is Why I Can't Hate This "Bandit" Camaro-Trans Am Conversion

Looks pretty bad to me. The bad bad not the good bad.
I rather like it, but then I like the late 70 Trans Am Firebird too.
Old Mar 29th 2016, 12:05 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Renault Clio, 25th anniversary
Old Mar 29th 2016, 2:18 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

F250 would be nice. Does it have a window int he back for the pup to get into the truck bed, a bit of a deal breaker.
Old Mar 29th 2016, 2:23 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
F250 would be nice. Does it have a window int he back for the pup to get into the truck bed, a bit of a deal breaker.
Yes it does, though I use it very rarely, and would prefer a single pane of glass really as it seems to be a weak point for breaking in.
Old Mar 29th 2016, 2:29 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Yes it does, though I use it very rarely, and would prefer a single pane of glass really as it seems to be a weak point for breaking in.
The locks on my F150 have not worked for years so not really an issue.
Old Mar 29th 2016, 2:54 pm

The locks on my F150 have not worked for years so not really an issue.
My locks work, but can be bypassed if you pull the cylinder out using a pull-hammer, or pry the lock out of the door, as (both) have happened to my truck. I guess there's no point in climbing into the bed to fiddle with the window when the door locks are largely ineffective.
Old Mar 29th 2016, 3:33 pm
Account Closed

Somebody messing with my truck would be likely to wake up the pup.
Old Mar 29th 2016, 3:37 pm

Somebody messing with my truck would be likely to wake up the pup.
My truck isn't fitted with one of those.
Old Mar 29th 2016, 3:53 pm
Account Closed

It is an upgrade.

I remember coming back to the truck once and woke him up, sprawled across the front bench, so he wakes up, sits up, his head pretty much hits the roof and looks the other way where somebody is getting into their car and was visible startled, quite funny.
Old Mar 29th 2016, 4:12 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Crooks around here dont fuss with the locks. They just bust your windows.

Cant leave anything in a car here in this city, the crack heads will bust the window if they see anything of value. Soda can even....

Car theft is down, but break ins are up.

Originally Posted by Pulaski
My locks work, but can be bypassed if you pull the cylinder out using a pull-hammer, or pry the lock out of the door, as (both) have happened to my truck. I guess there's no point in climbing into the bed to fiddle with the window when the door locks are largely ineffective.
Old Mar 29th 2016, 5:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FlaviusAetius
...I traded the damn thing in on a Datsun 260Z, which ran perfectly for about 5 years until I traded it on a BMW 320i - and never looked back and never bought another GM product.

But BMWs have, and have had for a long time, a pretty bad reputation for reliability. Yes, they were good looking (though not any more), and have always been 'drivers cars', but they aren't the engineering miracle some folks make them out to be - at least, not in the reliability department.

This article Are German Cars Reliable? The Myth of "German Engineering" » AutoGuide.com News gives a fairly accurate assessment; BMWs (and other German cars) still come out on top in terms of 'appeal', but not reliability. They admit that some of the low scores were due to silly things like cup holders, but there is a bigger problem than that.
Old Mar 29th 2016, 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by Steerpike
But BMWs have, and have had for a long time, a pretty bad reputation for reliability. ..... They admit that some of the low scores were due to silly things like cup holders, but there is a bigger problem than that.
A lot of it is electronics, and not necessarily electronic systems that are critical for driving and the operation of a car. Ford has suffered a decline in "reliability" for the same reasons.

A couple of years ago a neighbour traded his BMW 550 after barely a year because, despite multiple returns to the dealer under warranty, they never did get the electronics working properly.

Last edited by Pulaski; Mar 29th 2016 at 5:57 pm.
Old Mar 29th 2016, 5:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
But BMWs have, and have had for a long time, a pretty bad reputation for reliability. Yes, they were good looking (though not any more), and have always been 'drivers cars', but they aren't the engineering miracle some folks make them out to be - at least, not in the reliability department.

This article Are German Cars Reliable? The Myth of "German Engineering" » AutoGuide.com News gives a fairly accurate assessment; BMWs (and other German cars) still come out on top in terms of 'appeal', but not reliability. They admit that some of the low scores were due to silly things like cup holders, but there is a bigger problem than that.
Isn't that why BMW leases are so popular.
Old Mar 29th 2016, 8:37 pm
Account Closed

I remember a long time ago a friend whose family owned a a German dealership lamented the problems with production being outsourced and the drop in quality.
Old Mar 30th 2016, 5:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

First world problems...

Knightsbridge gold supercars given parking tickets - BBC News

I saw an Aston Martin Rapide in the daycare parking lot this morning, it burbled as I drove past.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.