Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Let's talk about cars

Let's talk about cars

Old Mar 23rd 2016, 7:37 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Let's talk about cars

Originally Posted by Nutek
I had the 2008 hardtop. That added (I think) 60lb or so over the ragtop... I couldn't tell the difference.
So you just left some of your cake supply at home?
Old Mar 23rd 2016, 7:52 am

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
So you just left some of your cake supply at home?
Never divulge the whereabouts of your cake supply.
Old Mar 23rd 2016, 7:53 am

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zargof
Well yeah, but for you 60lb is about the same as your lunch, so that's understandable...
Old Mar 23rd 2016, 7:54 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Can he drive?
Too young.
Old Mar 23rd 2016, 7:56 am
BE Enthusiast

rbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Too young.
Based on dog years ?
Old Mar 23rd 2016, 8:11 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by rbackhouse
Based on dog years ?
They do not take that into account, shame he aced the written test.
Old Mar 26th 2016, 12:50 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.maxim.com/rides/trans-am-...-bandit-2016-3

Fun limited edition TransAm...
Old Mar 26th 2016, 12:58 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
With the current trend for modern homages to the Mustang, Camero, and Challenger, I have long thought it a crying shame that GM killed off Pontiac, therefore preventing a modern interpretation of the 1970's Firebird. I used to pass one on the way to high school in Gloucester, and long dreamed of owning one.
Old Mar 27th 2016, 6:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

FlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond repute

With the current trend for modern homages to the Mustang, Camero, and Challenger, I have long thought it a crying shame that GM killed off Pontiac, therefore preventing a modern interpretation of the 1970's Firebird. I used to pass one on the way to high school in Gloucester, and long dreamed of owning one.

I bought a new, canary-yellow Formula 400 Firebird in 1972 (price about $3,600 + tax). It looked great, was powerful, fast and handled quite well, considering it only had belted bias-ply tyres. One thing that always annoyed me was that the hood "air intakes" were non-functional. It got 10 mpg but ran on Gulftane without complaint.

After six months someone stole the carburetors (no internal lock on the hood). The replacements never produced the original power. After a year the filler tube separated from the fuel tank. Took it to the dealer and they replaced the tank and filler tube, but stupidly poured the gas back into the new tank (claimed they used a Mercedes filter). The sludge ruined everything and it would stall out on the thruway. I traded the damn thing in on a Datsun 260Z, which ran perfectly for about 5 years until I traded it on a BMW 320i - and never looked back and never bought another GM product.

If they produced a retro Firebird, there would have to be a host of improvements and actual quality control needed for it to be a good vehicle. I believe the picture is of a 1970 Formula 400, but the 1972 looked pretty similar except it had the honey-comb wheels and some minor ornament differences.

Last edited by FlaviusAetius; Mar 27th 2016 at 7:11 pm.
Old Mar 27th 2016, 6:44 pm
Joined on April fools day

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FlaviusAetius
I bought a new, canary-yellow Formula 400 Firebird in 1972 (price about $3,600 + tax). It looked great, was powerful, fast and handled quite well, considering it only had belted bias-ply tyres. One thing that always annoyed me was that the hood "air intakes" were non-functional. It got 10 mpg but ran on Gulftane without complaint.

After six months someone stole the carburetors (no internal lock on the hood). The replacements never produced the original power. After a year the filler tube separated from the fuel tank. Took it to the dealer and they replaced the tank and filler tube, but stupidly poured the gas back into the new tank (claimed they used a Mercedes filter). The sludge ruined everything and it would stall out on the thruway. I traded the damn thing in on a Datsun 260Z, which ran perfectly for about 5 years until I traded it on a BMW 320i - and never looked back and never bought another GM product.

If they produced a retro Firebird, there would have to be a host of improvements and actual quality control needed for it to be a good vehicle.

http://www.firebirdgallery.com/2nd%2...ges/73fr11.jpg
GM in the 70's was pure junk, well the 80's also. I remember that the 'Z' cars were a hot ticket in the early thru mid 70's provided you could keep the front end down.
Old Mar 27th 2016, 10:43 pm

Originally Posted by FlaviusAetius
..... If they produced a retro Firebird, there would have to be a host of improvements and actual quality control needed for it to be a good vehicle. ....
Maybe it was significant that the one I used to pass was always parked outside the owner's home.
Old Mar 28th 2016, 10:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Burt Reynolds Is Why I Can't Hate This 'Bandit' Camaro-Trans Am Conversion

Looks pretty bad to me. The bad bad not the good bad.
Old Mar 28th 2016, 1:44 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

The issie for me in the Mazda is a clear view from the drivers seat. Doing left turnss suck due to lack of clear view because of how the frame of the car is. And the mirrors dont have a good enough range to make them useful. And poor view of stop lights due to lack of visibility as well.

Perfect car for my wife though so she does 99% of the driving and well she gets a 43% insurance discount if she is primary driver so that is a reason as well.

Legroom wise, havent ever driven a car I would say was comfortable in leg room department.

I agree, somewhat, as he could read reviews of other tall drivers. I am 6'5", but then you probably already know that Jeremy Clarkson is 6'5"

It is fairly random as to which cars are driveable for me, though smaller cars are generally less roomy, unsurprisingly. My father had a proper Mini, a van actually, and that was perfectly OK for me, despite being much smaller than a MINI. I learnt to drive in a Mini Metro, which was a small ugly eggbox of a car, but which had adequate leg room and generous head room. ..... My Mustang fits like a glove, and only someone with no legs at all could sit behind me in that.
Old Mar 28th 2016, 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
..... Legroom wise, havent ever driven a car I would say was comfortable in leg room department.
Get yourself an F250 Crew Cab. It is the only vehicle I have ever driven without the seat all the way back AND even then it leaves ample room for me to sit behind the drivers seat. Unless buy a limo, it is likely to remain the most spacious vehicle I ever own. ..... Probably falls short on your expectations of gas mileage though.
Old Mar 28th 2016, 3:13 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I dont think we could afford the gas...lol

Get yourself an F250 Crew Cab. It is the only vehicle I have ever driven without the seat all the way back AND even then it leaves ample room for me to sit behind the drivers seat. Unless buy a limo, it is likely to remain the most spacious vehicle I ever own. ..... Probably falls short on your expectations of gas mileage though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.