Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Let's talk about cars

Let's talk about cars

Old Mar 30th 2016, 3:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Let's talk about cars

I was recently in Mexico and noticed they have cab-over Toyota hiace minivans. These are common in a lot of Asian countries, from developing ones to Japan.

I much prefer the Ford Transits and Merc Sprinter styles but wondering why the cab-over Toyotas and Nissans aren't sold Stateside?? Back in the 60s,70s, 80s Dodge and Ford sold cab-overs here, and ofcourse VW.
Old Mar 30th 2016, 4:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boomhauer
I was recently in Mexico and noticed they have cab-over Toyota hiace minivans. These are common in a lot of Asian countries, from developing ones to Japan.

I much prefer the Ford Transits and Merc Sprinter styles but wondering why the cab-over Toyotas and Nissans aren't sold Stateside?? Back in the 60s,70s, 80s Dodge and Ford sold cab-overs here, and ofcourse VW.
Isn't there a law that prevents trucks being imported to the US. They have to be made here.
Old Mar 31st 2016, 12:35 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
Isn't there a law that prevents trucks being imported to the US. They have to be made here.
There's a substantial tariff on them, but there isn't an outright prohibition. Ford imports Transit Connects from Turkey, but they come fully fitted with a second row of seats and so are classified as a station wagon or SUV at the point of import, with low/no tariff. Then they are stripped of their rear seats and seat belts in most cases before they are shipped to the dealers. The removed belts and seats are thrown away.

I don't know where full size Transit vans are made, but if Ford is importing them I bet there's similar shinanigans going on.
Old Mar 31st 2016, 2:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

Chicken tax tarrif: The Transit Connect couldn't be sold as a commerical vehicle (without a hefty tarrif) so came with rear side windows , which Ford then removed stateside to make into a commercial vehicle.

I am not aware of passenger minivans being barred Stateside by any regulation (other than conforming to DOT and EPA standards that is applicable to all passenger vehicles) . The Hiace Toyota minivan I am referring to is a passenger van that would marketed to the public as an alternative to the traditional American minivan, so importing it would be no different to importing a VW minivan.

Ford brings in the Transit. Mercedes/Freightliner/Dodge brought in the Sprinter. Dodge Ram Promaster commerical vans are just Renaults .

Hiace passenger minivan

Last edited by Boomhauer; Mar 31st 2016 at 2:38 am.
Old Mar 31st 2016, 4:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Good to hear I wasn't imagining it. Also unsurprised there is a stupid workaround.
Old Mar 31st 2016, 4:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The First Trailer For New Top Gear Brings The Drifting And The Puking

If nothing else I'll watch it to see Chris Evans puke on a regular basis.
Old Mar 31st 2016, 4:55 am

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

If nothing else I'll watch it to see Chris Evans puke on a regular basis.
Every time he opens his mouth.
Old Mar 31st 2016, 5:14 am
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutek
Every time he opens his mouth.
Shots fired ...
Old Mar 31st 2016, 5:52 am

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Shots fired ...
Some say...
Old Mar 31st 2016, 7:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The World's Last Great Vintage Race Should Never Change Because Of Safety

Some lovely pictures of classic racing cars doing what they do best and some pictures of them racing too.
Old Mar 31st 2016, 7:48 am

Some lovely pictures of classic racing cars doing what they do best and some pictures of them racing too.
Superb pics! Thanks for linking.
Old Mar 31st 2016, 8:10 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

I was at the Festival of Speed in 2000 when John Dawson-Damer died in, or immediately before, crashing his 1969 Lotus 63. Mrs P and were on the path through the woods to the "top paddock" when we heard the crash.

Marshals closed access to the path from both ends, and held those on the path, including Mrs P and me, while emergency services attended to the scene. As far as I remember we were held for about 20-30 minutes. We were briefed by marshals before the path was reopened, about the media/journalists who had collected below the woods to interview anyone coming down out of the woods. We were told we were free to speak, but were requested to not talk to them or answer questions.

As we filed back out of the woods, in more or less single file, everyone ahead of me, and everyone I could see or hear behind me, as we kept on walking, declined to make any comment to the assembled journalists, mostly with the customary "no comment".

Driving for the day was abandoned.
Old Mar 31st 2016, 8:22 am

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I was at the Festival of Speed in 2000 when John Dawson-Damer died in, or immediately before, crashing his 1969 Lotus 63. Mrs P and were on the path through the woods to the "top paddock" when we heard the crash.

Marshals closed access to the path from both ends, and held those on the path, including Mrs P and me, while emergency services attended to the scene. As far as I remember we were held for about 20-30 minutes. We were briefed by marshals before the path was reopened, about the media/journalists who had collected below the woods to interview anyone coming down out of the woods. We were told we were free to speak, but were requested to not talk to them or answer questions.

As we filed back out of the woods, in more or less single file, everyone ahead of me, and everyone I could see or hear behind me, as we kept on walking, declined to make any comment to the assembled journalists, mostly with the customary "no comment".

Driving for the day was abandoned.
Well, that's made it a bit less fun.
Old Apr 1st 2016, 12:44 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/unite...-hipster-hatch

I know it's a joke, but I actually kind of like it....
Old Apr 1st 2016, 1:00 am

Originally Posted by Bob
https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/unite...-hipster-hatch

I know it's a joke, but I actually kind of like it....
LOL

Twin Cassette.

I would have killed for one of those.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.