Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Let's talk about cars

Let's talk about cars

Old Apr 2nd 2016, 11:47 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Let's talk about cars

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
Thoughts on the Tesla3? .....
Looks like a Hyundai with all the corners rubbed off.
Old Apr 4th 2016, 11:47 pm
G33k!

charlas has a reputation beyond reputecharlas has a reputation beyond reputecharlas has a reputation beyond reputecharlas has a reputation beyond reputecharlas has a reputation beyond reputecharlas has a reputation beyond reputecharlas has a reputation beyond reputecharlas has a reputation beyond reputecharlas has a reputation beyond reputecharlas has a reputation beyond reputecharlas has a reputation beyond repute

sniffpetrol.com/2016/04/01/musk-struggles-to-say-name-of-new-car/#.VwOlo2grKUk

Still wouldn't mind one
Old Apr 10th 2016, 12:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

Love the classic RangeRover style. Prefer these lines to that of the current RR models.

I am a huge fan of restomods, so if I had a garage I would modify this style of RR with some modern amenities and a modern diesel.

Last edited by Boomhauer; Apr 10th 2016 at 12:25 pm.
Old Apr 11th 2016, 5:26 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

2017 Audi RS 4 Avant | News, Rumors, Specs, Performance | Digital Trends

New Audi?
Old Apr 12th 2016, 5:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boomhauer
Love the classic RangeRover style. Prefer these lines to that of the current RR models.

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...ps8s8ggoqx.jpg

I am a huge fan of restomods, so if I had a garage I would modify this style of RR with some modern amenities and a modern diesel.
Quite mind-blowing to think that they pretty much invented the category, but failed to capitalize on it.
Old Apr 12th 2016, 5:17 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
Quite mind-blowing to think that they pretty much invented the category, but failed to capitalize on it.
It's the British way - ground breaking in so many areas of engineering, manufacturing, and civil engineering, and virtually nothing to show for it.

Examples include not only the Range Rover, but the Mini (the proper one), the Harrier, Concorde, ocean-going cruise liners, trains from early steam engines, to the advances of diesel-electrics and the electric "APT" (the tilting train which was abandoned), and now apparently the entire British steel industry! And those are only a few things off the top of my head.

Last edited by Pulaski; Apr 12th 2016 at 5:21 am.
Old Apr 12th 2016, 5:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
It's the British way - ground breaking in so many areas of engineering, manufacturing, and civil engineering, and virtually nothing to show for it.

Examples include only on the Range Rover, but the Mini (the proper one), the Harrier, Concorde, ocean-going cruise liners, trains from early steam engines, to the advances of diesel-electrics and the electric "APT" (the tilting train which was abandoned), and kw apparently the entire British steel industry! And those are only a few things off the top of my head.
Hovercraft
Old Apr 12th 2016, 5:24 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Jet Engine
Old Apr 12th 2016, 5:34 am

Originally Posted by Boiler
Jet Engine
Ah yes, that was a big one I missed - "given" to the Americans for political convenience! ..... The aerodrome where the Gloster Meteor, the only Allied jet to see service in WWII, was developed and built, is now a housing estate.
Old Apr 12th 2016, 9:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Examples include not only the Range Rover, but the Mini (the proper one), the Harrier, Concorde, ocean-going cruise liners, trains from early steam engines, to the advances of diesel-electrics and the electric "APT" (the tilting train which was abandoned), and now apparently the entire British steel industry! And those are only a few things off the top of my head.
My amateur analysis would be a lack of marketing savvy. Probably an ingrained sense that people will 'do the right thing' and buy the right products ... rather than accepting that customers need "convincing" (using lies and exaggeration as necessary!).

Being a small country with a small population and its own currency probably didn't help, though ... something that 'Europe' was supposed to change ...
Old Apr 12th 2016, 9:44 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Apparently 80s and early 90s era Chrysler Lebarons are collectors now here, saw one today on the road with collectors plates on it.

An old lady maybe 80 ish years old driving it. Probably the last new car she bought.

I think it was a Lebaron anyhow, looked identical to the one in the photo.

Spoiler:

Last edited by Bob; Apr 12th 2016 at 9:49 am. Reason: large pic
Old Apr 12th 2016, 1:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

As I was watching a lot of YouTube documentaries on British railways, it struck out that Britain is not a globally leading manufacturer of locomotives despite being the birthplace of the steam locomotive and train.

Brushing up on my knowledge of Maglevs, the 1st commerically viable Maglev was built in England , though Wikipedia says the first patents were issued to Germans. Now the Japanese and Germans dominate the field with the later being the only one to actually sell a Maglev system to a foreign customer.

Last edited by Boomhauer; Apr 12th 2016 at 1:59 pm.
Old Apr 12th 2016, 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by Boomhauer
As I was watching a lot of YouTube documentaries on British railways, it struck out that Britain is not a globally leading manufacturer of locomotives despite being the birthplace of the steam locomotive and train.

Brushing up on my knowledge of Maglevs, the 1st commerically viable Maglev was built in England , though Wikipedia says the first patents were issued to Germans. Now the Japanese and Germans dominate the field with the later being the only one to actually sell a Maglev system to a foreign customer.
The British maglev prototype used to sit outside the back of BREL's Derby Works, near the old APTs. .... A sort of graveyard for British railway engineering.

As long ago as 1976 BR was importing locomotives from, of all places, Romania.
Old Apr 14th 2016, 4:16 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

If you want to buy Hillary Clinton’s old car, now’s your chance | Driving
Old Apr 14th 2016, 11:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Now Mike Lawn is selling. According to Gettysburg’s Evening Sun, the insurance company Hagerty values similar models at around $8700; but that doesn’t account for the fact that it was owned by the former first lady and current front-runner for the Democratic nomination.
In what parallel universe is an 1986 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera worth $8700? I could see it being worth that much if it had $8500 in cash in the boot.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.