Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Let's talk about cars

Wikiposts

Let's talk about cars

Old Apr 11th 2014, 3:06 am

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Let's talk about cars

Originally Posted by Mr Weeze
Latest consumer report verdicts on cars:

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/02/27/c...rst-cars-2014/
Ouch.

We saw a diesel Mini today. I didn't know they made those.
Old Apr 11th 2014, 3:13 am
I love my brick!

zargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond repute

When was the last time that Chrysler produced a car that wasn't shit?
Old Apr 11th 2014, 3:31 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

I have long thought CR was run by a bunch of wänkers, at least when it came to cars. .... That said I can believe they're right about. Chrysler Dodge vehicles and the small-engined Jeeps.

Last edited by Pulaski; Apr 11th 2014 at 4:11 am.
Old Apr 11th 2014, 4:09 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutek
...... We saw a diesel Mini today. I didn't know they made those.
Me neither. The next question then is "should they"?
Old Apr 11th 2014, 4:21 am

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Me neither. The next question then is "should they"?
I quite like Diesels. Baffles me why they don't catch on in the U.S.
Old Apr 11th 2014, 4:34 am

Emissions standards in the US are tougher on "particulates" than many countries, so manufacturers can't, in most cases, sell a diesel in the US with a redesign. When demand is low it isn't worth the cost of the redesign and different manufacturing, so you have a chicken-or-egg situation.

Also gas is much cheaper than in Europe, so the higher efficiency doesn't have the same appeal, and when diesel is 50¢ more than gas, and has been $1 more than gas, the efficiency advantage is significantly diminished.
Old Apr 11th 2014, 5:22 am
Mions' a point.

MostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond repute

Plus when Olds came out with the converted 350 ci diesel it was nothing but issues, a lot stemming from the factory service techs having absolutely no idea how to service them I understand. It really gave diesels a black eye.

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Funny! .... I had guessed the drag race was going to end when they came to a bend.
LMAO!! Don't you know how well a 1958 Caddy handles? Like it's on rails. That only go straight. Well kinda.

Got the clutch for the S-10! Only need the ujoints and exhaust clamps and the job's ready to go. Can't wait. Also got the bits I need to replace the stereo, which is on the fritz, Excelon head unit, Mark Antony amp, all new wiring, I'll reuse the existing aftermarket speakers for now.

Pete
Old Apr 11th 2014, 7:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MostlyYank
Plus when Olds came out with the converted 350 ci diesel it was nothing but issues, a lot stemming from the factory service techs having absolutely no idea how to service them I understand. It really gave diesels a black eye. Pete
That engine was doomed from the start. It was not properly engineered to handle the extra compression and did not have a water separator. While the block was actually new and not the original 350 block, they did use other bits that were not appropriate, like the head bolts from the gas 350 which were not strong enough for the extra compression. Save a few bucks per vehicle seemed like a good idea to those with no idea. The lack of a water separator and the flimsier head bolts led to head gasket failure which flooded the cylinders with water. The mechanics were not as bad at servicing as they were at repairs. The engine deserved the death that it ultimately faced.
Old Apr 11th 2014, 11:21 am
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

The torque scares them!
Old Apr 14th 2014, 5:22 am
Mions' a point.

MostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond repute

Got everything but the exhaust clamps. So Easter weekend is clutch kit/all seals/input shaft bearing/slave master and hose/greasable pivot ball stud/mount/universals for the '91 S-10. Yay! With old cars I hope do it once and be done will apply. And a bonus, the leaky exhaust will be fixed too. The whole thing should improve the drivability immensely. Right now it's a symphony of squeaks rattles chirps and vibrations with freeway driving an experience.

I've got some experience with the craptacular 350 diesel. My dad bought a '80 Cutlass Cruiser wagon one year old and it was our camping family vacation hauler, loaded with us and a little trailer.

I think it was a combination of being lucky and dad being a civil engineer. He researched it and ended up telling the factory techs what to do when it was serviced. It went to 180k before dad had it swapped out. It ran fine but needed all new seals and he didn't think it was worth it.

It's too bad, it was a fine highway cruiser. The '73 Rocket 350 he had installed was ok though

Pete

Last edited by MostlyYank; Apr 14th 2014 at 6:27 am.
Old Apr 16th 2014, 12:29 am
Mions' a point.

Learned about bearing preload, never even heard of it before.

Pete
Old Apr 16th 2014, 12:32 am

Learned about bearing preload, ....
I hope it wasn't a painful lesson.
Old Apr 16th 2014, 1:10 am
Mions' a point.

Nope! No knuckle or skull damage. All grey matter work Relating to the input shaft bearing. Very interesting.

Pete
Old Apr 16th 2014, 1:14 am

.... Relating to the input shaft bearing. Very interesting. ...
I'll take your word for that!
Old Apr 16th 2014, 3:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting Mustang fact.

"Fifty years ago, the Ford Motor Company debuted its iconic Mustang at the 1964 World's Fair in New York City. To mark the occasion, the car company cut up one of its new cars into three pieces and reassembled it on the top of the Empire State Building. In honor of the anniversary, the company has decided to re-create its original celebratory stunt...only this time with a more modern version. A prototype of the 2015 Mustang will be cut into even more pieces than the original 1964 car and will be ferried to the top of the second-largest building in the city. The newest model will be on display to visitors on April 16 and 17."

Last edited by dakota44; Apr 16th 2014 at 3:55 am.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.