Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Let's talk about cars

Let's talk about cars

Old Apr 28th 2014, 2:04 am

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Let's talk about cars

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Finally, I was able to get rid of the millstone that was my old Suzuki over the weekend. A $1,200.00 quote for a head gasket replacement was the straw that broke the camel's back. Especially given it would only have been worth $1,600.00 fixed ...

So off to the dealer we trotted on Saturday morning and after six hours (it was a bit busy) I drove off with a brand new Chevy Cruze. Yeah, nothing fancy but it was an up-level trim with an RS option package so I like it. Plus it's red and everyone knows red cars are faster. It's just a rule. Also, we got a package where I won't have to pay for any oil changes, tyre rotations, fluid top-ups or filters for 75,000 miles and I get one set of brake pads per year and three full brake replacements free for that 75,000 mile period as well.

Nice to be done with worrying about where we are going to come up with repair money for the old one. Even though we can't really afford the new one

Is this it?

Nice to have all the servicing taken care of up front. Our Minis came with a similar option. it's surprising how that stuff can mount up, especially if consumables like Brake Pads are included.
Old Apr 28th 2014, 2:13 am
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutek
Is this it?

http://www.gm.ca/images/vehicles/201...uz_over_01.jpg

Nice to have all the servicing taken care of up front. Our Minis came with a similar option. it's surprising how that stuff can mount up, especially if consumables like Brake Pads are included.
Very slightly different wheels but yes, that's the one, assuming it is an LT. I do see the RS badge on the door like mine has. Sad bastard that I am, I still think that's a bit cool.

Having the servicing in there is a big plus. I only ever had pads replaced on the Suzuki, and even then it was upwards of $280.00 per visit, never mind all the other things they found wrong with it while it was in. This way I get the pads taken care of once a year and if I ever need a full overhaul, I'm covered.

The monthly payments are a bit higher than we wanted but it's easier than trying to find $1,000.00 for repairs every how ever many months on one of the credit cards.
Old Apr 28th 2014, 2:20 am
Mions' a point.

MostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats on the Chevy SoS. I've been fighting the repairs vs new car cost thing but it's my back doing the talking!

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I'm not the biggest fan of Corvettes, but this update on the Bowling Green sinkhole just about made me want to cry. Just scroll through the before and after pictures, with captions enabled.
Interesting but sad. I kind of like the idea of leaving the hole as part of the exhibit.

To update my clutch job for all one of the people interested (), the clutch is in.

Should have been cake, but of course there is always, always, always a problem. The pilot bushing was frozen.

Tried the grease trick, pack it with grease use a rod that snugly fits into the hole and beat it with a hammer using hydraulic pressure to pop it out. Nothing nada zilch. The old bushing was egged pretty badly so no real way to seal it. Called around and only one store had a puller, but it was the gear puller style (nobody had the slidehammer type) so even after filing the hook castings sharper it just pulled out - itself. Useless.

After searching the internet and reading various methods I thought heck I can do better. I tapped the bushing and threaded a big'ol coarse threaded grade 8 bolt, attached a cable to it, fabricated a small pulley system bolted to the block so I could run the cable out from underneath the back of the truck, walked out to the telephone pole at the street and pulled it out with a comealong.

Just kidding :-D I got a 3/8" cold chisel and beat that thing till it broke. It was hard work. I only scored the crank in one place. A slidehammer puller might have worked. Might.

Once that was done it was just another clutch job. Midas GAVE me a 3' piece of 2-1/4" exhaust to bridge the ugly cat gap (awesome) but nobody had a 2" od to 2-1/4" od adapter (I need it for one end), and it was getting late so I skipped replacing the donut on the manifold downpipe and forced the missing adapter bit with a clamp, so it's quite loud. I also managed to forget to install the exhaust support bracket but for that I only need to remove the 2 bolts holding the trans to the mount, no biggie.

The biggest deal happened on the test drive. The truck started without bucking, no noises ('cept for exhaust!), everything works great. I expected improvement but didn't expect it to clutch/shift like butter. Nice

Head up to the nearest higher speed road, got going for a 1/4 mile or so and BANG! followed by a huge vibration. Heart into the stomach, truck to the side of the road. Look and - rear ujoints' loose, lost a cap. Almost certainly my fault. If I had to bet I'd put my cash on a c clip not seated properly

It stinks, but minor, minor, minor. I'll have that done and hopefully the exhaust at least a little quieter this week. Yay.

Sidenote, even though I've taken two showers and scrubbed like there's no tomorrow I still smell vaguely of grease.

Pete
Old Apr 28th 2014, 2:27 am
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MostlyYank
Congrats on the Chevy SoS. I've been fighting the repairs vs new car cost thing but it's my back doing the talking!
Cheers.

We were just sick of throwing money at a car that wasn't worth it. This one should hopefully keep more value because it's more mechanically sound and it's got a nice extras package.

I just have to look after it a bit better than the old one
Old Apr 28th 2014, 2:28 am

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Very slightly different wheels but yes, that's the one, assuming it is an LT. I do see the RS badge on the door like mine has. Sad bastard that I am, I still think that's a bit cool.

Having the servicing in there is a big plus. I only ever had pads replaced on the Suzuki, and even then it was upwards of $280.00 per visit, never mind all the other things they found wrong with it while it was in. This way I get the pads taken care of once a year and if I ever need a full overhaul, I'm covered.

The monthly payments are a bit higher than we wanted but it's easier than trying to find $1,000.00 for repairs every how ever many months on one of the credit cards.
Yeah.. I really like the maintenance being covered. Brakes on the Mini are an expense you don't want cropping up too often. Or anything else come to that, considering it's BMW pricing.

The payment might be a bit if a stretch, but at least it's one constant amount... No nasty surprises. And, of course, you have some piece of mind with the car too.. That's worth a few bucks in itself.

The combination of it being red AND having the RS badge on it.... That's a winning combination for sure... Does the lizard charge you extra insurance for that?
Old Apr 28th 2014, 2:29 am

To update my clutch job for all one of the people interested
Old Apr 28th 2014, 2:45 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Finally, I was able to get rid of the millstone that was my old Suzuki over the weekend. A $1,200.00 quote for a head gasket replacement was the straw that broke the camel's back. Especially given it would only have been worth $1,600.00 fixed ...

So off to the dealer we trotted on Saturday morning and after six hours (it was a bit busy) I drove off with a brand new Chevy Cruze. Yeah, nothing fancy but it was an up-level trim with an RS option package so I like it. Plus it's red and everyone knows red cars are faster. It's just a rule. Also, we got a package where I won't have to pay for any oil changes, tyre rotations, fluid top-ups or filters for 75,000 miles and I get one set of brake pads per year and three full brake replacements free for that 75,000 mile period as well. .....
.... Nice to have all the servicing taken care of up front. Our Minis came with a similar option. it's surprising how that stuff can mount up, especially if consumables like Brake Pads are included.
Congratulations on the new ride, Sultan!

Brake pads are consumable? .... I can't remember when the brake pads were last replaced on my Accord. I don't know when it was, but it was 190,000-200,000 miles ago. For the past 18 months our Honda dealer has been telling us the pads are going to need replacing "soon". I am puzzled as to why the original pads apparently only lasted 70,000-80,000 miles, however I do know that the front pads and the brake fluid are the only parts of the brake system that have been replaced.

Last edited by Pulaski; Apr 28th 2014 at 3:01 am.
Old Apr 28th 2014, 3:00 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

..... To update my clutch job for all one of the people interested (), the clutch is in. .....
This thread is going to get very big very quickly if you're going to update us every time the clutch is "in", and doubly so if you're going to post to tell us every time you let it out again. .....
Old Apr 28th 2014, 3:11 am
Mions' a point.

MostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond repute

THIS JUST IN!

Whoops, it's out again

Pete
Old Apr 28th 2014, 3:21 am

Brake pads are consumable? .... I can't remember when the brake pads were last replaced on my Accord. I don't know when it was, but it was 190,000-200,000 miles ago. For the past 18 months our Honda dealer has been telling us the pads are going to need replacing "soon". I am puzzled as to why the original pads apparently only lasted 70,000-80,000 miles, however I do know that the front pads and the brake fluid are the only parts of the brake system that have been replaced.
I go through front pads in about 20K miles or so. Rears in 25. You aren't trying hard enough.
Old Apr 28th 2014, 3:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Awesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond repute

I go through front pads in about 20K miles or so. Rears in 25. You aren't trying hard enough.
Have to agree with this - sounds like Driving Miss Daisy.
I have a 2012 Mustang GT - the OEM pads, rotors and calipers are not up to the performance of the car. This weekend I swapped the whole lot out for a Brembo 6 piston front with 15" discs and upgraded rears (stock on GT500).
Even with this upgrade, I anticipate going through the front pads in around 25k miles.
Old Apr 28th 2014, 3:53 am

Originally Posted by Awesome Welles
Have to agree with this - sounds like Driving Miss Daisy.
I have a 2012 Mustang GT - the OEM pads, rotors and calipers are not up to the performance of the car. This weekend I swapped the whole lot out for a Brembo 6 piston front with 15" discs and upgraded rears (stock on GT500).
Even with this upgrade, I anticipate going through the front pads in around 25k miles.
Nice upgrade.
Old Apr 28th 2014, 3:55 am

How does the Chevy drive SoS? Smooth ride?
Old Apr 28th 2014, 4:01 am
I have a comma problem

Yeah.. I really like the maintenance being covered. Brakes on the Mini are an expense you don't want cropping up too often. Or anything else come to that, considering it's BMW pricing.

The payment might be a bit if a stretch, but at least it's one constant amount... No nasty surprises. And, of course, you have some piece of mind with the car too.. That's worth a few bucks in itself.

The combination of it being red AND having the RS badge on it.... That's a winning combination for sure... Does the lizard charge you extra insurance for that?
Yeah, we look at it that the payment may be a stretch but not compared to coming up with repair money at least once a year for the engine

I don't know if the insurance will go up a lot because of the RS badge, it will because it's a new car though. Christ, I hope it doesn't make it go up because that will result in all the fun being sucked out of it as I get berated for my car costing us more money again

Cheers.

I don't know how long I'll get on these pads but since I get a free new set each year I may as well take advantage of it
Old Apr 28th 2014, 4:04 am

Yeah, we look at it that the payment may be a stretch but not compared to coming up with repair money at least once a year for the engine

I don't know if the insurance will go up a lot because of the RS badge, it will because it's a new car though. Christ, I hope it doesn't make it go up because that will result in all the fun being sucked out of it as I get berated for my car costing us more money again
Tell them it stands for "Really Slow". That should throw 'em off the scent.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.