Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Let's talk about cars

Let's talk about cars

Old Sep 26th 2020, 10:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Let's talk about cars

Originally Posted by Steerpike
I do know that every 'guest' app that gets 'presented' in these Apps (Apple Carplay / Android Auto) has to be approved by someone for inclusion. The user interface has to be deemed 'safe' enough. I know that when I last drove a rental that had Android Auto, I could not use Waze for GPS. But I then read that Waze made changes that 'conformed' and then it was allowed. Sounds odd that an 'audio' app like the Economist would not comply, but it could be that it is simply awaiting approval. Take a read of this - specifically discusses the Economist app and Apple Car Play - https://medium.com/datadriveninvesto...e-58f6bd48e864 . He does suggest a workaround "My workaround is to start the audio playing in the app before I start the car. Then it shows inside the built-in “Now Playing” app on the CarPlay screen."- though this is from circa 2019. This economist article specifically mentions carplay ... https://www.economist.com/help/faq/access . This article looks to be from an economist developer who worked on an Economist app that he says got canceled; he has a 'contact me' button ... you might be able to find out if there is a solution in the works! https://www.jondarke.com/economist-radio .
Thanks for all the links. That workaround still works! Plus, unlike the Google Maps App, the car volume control works as I would expect. So I'm still puzzled about Google Maps.

The Economist app is primarily designed for reading. I can understand that Apple needs to ensure that any apps in CarPlay are primarily hands free, so presumably that's where The Economist app fails the test. They did recently introduce an updated app with enhanced audio features; still no dice.

Not even a green light somewhere to tell you AC is on? With my car, if I press 'auto', a green light comes on and the A/C is definitely on. But then any action away from auto - be it 'fan control', 'recirculation', or AC on/off, makes the green light go out. So this isn't 100% correlation to AC on/off, but at least you know the AC is ON if the light is on! It seems the car designers want you to run the AC all the time these days. I have several issues with that; 1) many cars haven't fixed the fundamental problem of the interior 'fogging up' if you eventually turn off the AC after having run it for a while, so my solution much of the time is to not turn it on to begin with; 2) you can hear the AC cycling and I don't like that noise shift; 3) AC uses power which is a waste when you don't need it; 4) I prefer 'outdoor air temp' much of the time. Even if I select, say, 72 F and it's 72 F outside, if the AC is on, it will deliver colder air for a while, then cycle off (warmer air) then back on with colder air, etc. But if I turn off the AC, I get a steady stream of 72F air from outside.
If I press "Auto" a green light comes on but it does not set A/C to on from off. Which is weird, because without AC how can it adjust the temperature downwards to that set? In fact, if Sync is on and the A/C is off and then I turn A/C on, Sync goes off. Seems like a big design flaw.
Old Sep 27th 2020, 3:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute

Got fiberglass body home after driving with trailer to Nebraska. Body by Shell Valley is excellent quality. Have mounted to frame except for fenders. Now making brackets to install steering wheel/shaft and brake pedal assembly.
Old Sep 27th 2020, 5:01 pm
Forum Regular

HDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond repute

My standard answer would be Honda Accord/Civic, or Toyota Camry, as others have said. Nice and boring, and plentiful, thus not too pricey. Very common, which tends to lead to cheaper maintenance. I had two Accords when I first got here (80s) and they served me extremely well; paid $3500 for first and $5500 for second, lasted me 10 years between them with 100 miles commute/day. The Accord is comfy and quiet - the most important elements of a car, for me.
I had an '09 Accord that I bought new. After five years and 70,000 miles, it started burning oil (a quart every 1,000 miles) and had weird electrical problems I couldn't get fixed (ignition would fail 30% of the time, and wipers would behave erratically). So my belief in Honda's ultra-reliability took a hit, though of course problems are going to crop up occasionally with any manufacturer. But I am thinking of getting another new Accord, since they are more fun to drive than my current Ford Fusion.

I feel bad for the person who bought my old Accord from Carmax. They paid $9k and got a bit of a lemon.
Old Sep 27th 2020, 9:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Thanks for all the links. That workaround still works! Plus, unlike the Google Maps App, the car volume control works as I would expect. So I'm still puzzled about Google Maps.

The Economist app is primarily designed for reading. I can understand that Apple needs to ensure that any apps in CarPlay are primarily hands free, so presumably that's where The Economist app fails the test. They did recently introduce an updated app with enhanced audio features; still no dice.
Not to get too picky about this, but not only does it need to be 'primarily hands free', but also, minimally distracting / easy to use while driving. Some of the elements are - big, easy to read information (no small fonts); big, easy to hit 'touch' areas (no cramming of small touch buttons onto the screen), and so on. Waze was initially a big mess of information and buttons; I don't know what they did exactly to 'conform'. This is Apple's 'design guideline' for CarPlay - https://developer.apple.com/design/h.../introduction/ . Interestingly, it seems like CarPlay offers support for 'automaker apps' so that you can control aspects of the vehicle itself from within the CarPlay environment - https://developer.apple.com/design/h...utomaker-apps/ I wonder if that means you can download an app from Honda that will offer some basic controls from within Carplay?

I know that Android Auto can be run on the phone screen itself; that is - it gives you the same User Interface on the phone screen that is presented by Android Auto on the car display. Don't know if Apple offer a similar experience. I guess the idea is, even without an 'Android Auto'-compatible vehicle, you can get the 'streamlined user interface' for safer driving experience on your phone screen. I've played with it occasionally, but never adopted it.

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
If I press "Auto" a green light comes on but it does not set A/C to on from off. Which is weird, because without AC how can it adjust the temperature downwards to that set? In fact, if Sync is on and the A/C is off and then I turn A/C on, Sync goes off. Seems like a big design flaw.
Have you found a good Honda forum yet? I used to be active on an old Acura forum that was very helpful but that was 10+ years ago. Honda attracts enough 'car nerds' to possibly make it worthwhile. I'm on a 'lexus' forum but they aren't exactly the most techie of drivers!
Old Sep 28th 2020, 12:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Interestingly, it seems like CarPlay offers support for 'automaker apps' so that you can control aspects of the vehicle itself from within the CarPlay environment - https://developer.apple.com/design/h...utomaker-apps/ I wonder if that means you can download an app from Honda that will offer some basic controls from within Carplay?
I haven't found anything that allows Honda car controls to be controlled from CarPlay.

I know that Android Auto can be run on the phone screen itself; that is - it gives you the same User Interface on the phone screen that is presented by Android Auto on the car display. Don't know if Apple offer a similar experience. I guess the idea is, even without an 'Android Auto'-compatible vehicle, you can get the 'streamlined user interface' for safer driving experience on your phone screen. I've played with it occasionally, but never adopted it.
Not on CarPlay. I can actually use my 'phone as normal and, for example, fiddle around with the The Economist app and start audio whilst driving!

Have you found a good Honda forum yet? I used to be active on an old Acura forum that was very helpful but that was 10+ years ago. Honda attracts enough 'car nerds' to possibly make it worthwhile. I'm on a 'lexus' forum but they aren't exactly the most techie of drivers!
I've looked at a couple but not in any great detail. I should pursue this as it's been really useful over the years to have a forum for my BMW.

I worked out that I actually maligned Honda on this climate control issue. When you press "Auto" it actually does use A/C if it needs to lower the interior temperature. But when you then go to the climate menu, it shows the A/C as neither on nor off. I can sit on the menu and see it (correctly) show the actual and any subsequent changes to the fan speed and mode (air direction) as the temperature in the car changes towards the set temperature, but it never shows A/C as on or off. Weird. So that display deficiency is, I think, the bug.
Old Oct 9th 2020, 5:05 am
BE Practitioner (Level 2)

username.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by username.exe
Hi folks, anyone car to chime in on a car recommendation (I am FAR from being a petrolhead myself).

Context:
  • Looking for reliable, comfortable daily commuter
  • $10k budget +/- 20%, with <80k miles on it
  • I usually only buy Toyota or Honda, but willing to hear other reliable options
  • I'm in Southern California (expensive gas), and will be doing approx 70 miles p/day on the freeway, with about an hour of stop/go traffic
  • Weekends I have a beater truck already so moving stuff not an issue, but will occasionally transport three young kids
  • Looking for 1. Reliability; 2. Comfort; 3. Economical; 4. Safe
  • Plan to drive for 5+years

My inclination is to check out Civics/Accords. Owned a Prius previously and loved it, but concerned about the fuel cells on used Prius' >100k miles. Thoughts?
Thought I'd circle back on this enquiry...
So after looking at a LOT of cars online, I purchased a 2017 Kia Optima plug-in hybrid in jet black. I'm stoked with it, it's very comfortable, drives well, has all the options and is easy on the gas.

Anatomy of a Painful Purchasing Decision:
Ultimately, the hybrid models of some of the cars I was looking at weren't that much more than the gas equivalents (surprisingly), and being that some of the gas stations in my neighborhood are near $4 a gallon, that wasn't a hard decision to make. I was also surprised at the jump in price between Hyundai/Kia and Toyota/Honda. The Korean cars have developed a good reputation for reliability, and I'm one for trying different things, so I narrowed my search down to hybrid Hyundai Sonata's, and hybrid Kia Optima's quite quickly.

The painful part - dealerships.
Since the missus insisted on a few of the luxury options, my pool of potential vehicles in my budget narrowed somewhat. I ultimately contacted four dealerships to initiate discussions (dotted around So Cal). I'm not one to waste half a day sat in traffic, test driving, and then sat behind a desk grinding out a deal, so I asked the dealerships to itemize their fees over-and-above the sticker price. Only one of them would, and, to my shock, included over $1,700 for 'theft deterrent' which best I could get out of them boiled down to window etching/stickers. I told them to waive it and I'd be there to test drive - they refused.

The other dealers all refused to describe or itemize their fees, insisting on 'working a deal on the floor'. I want to know if I'm in budget before I waste my day... they all REFUSED. Frustrated, I backed off and kept an eye on listings. So, when is the price the price (and how do you compare without transparency on the fees)?

In then end I found the car on a carvana-like site (called Shift). No-haggle (the price was reasonable, and the fees were itemized upfront). I texted them in the morning, and by 5pm that afternoon someone had driven the car to my house for a test drive. I completed the purchase on their ipad there and then. I could not be happier with this new business model, being fed up with evasive sales reps, excessive fees for services I don't want, being forced to commute in without knowing whether it would be in budget... I won't be going down that path again.

Anyway, I'm pleased with the car and hope I'll be driving it for a few more years, yet!
Old Oct 9th 2020, 5:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by username.exe
Thought I'd circle back on this enquiry...
So after looking at a LOT of cars online, I purchased a 2017 Kia Optima plug-in hybrid in jet black. I'm stoked with it, it's very comfortable, drives well, has all the options and is easy on the gas.

Anatomy of a Painful Purchasing Decision:
Ultimately, the hybrid models of some of the cars I was looking at weren't that much more than the gas equivalents (surprisingly), and being that some of the gas stations in my neighborhood are near $4 a gallon, that wasn't a hard decision to make. I was also surprised at the jump in price between Hyundai/Kia and Toyota/Honda. The Korean cars have developed a good reputation for reliability, and I'm one for trying different things, so I narrowed my search down to hybrid Hyundai Sonata's, and hybrid Kia Optima's quite quickly.

The painful part - dealerships.
Since the missus insisted on a few of the luxury options, my pool of potential vehicles in my budget narrowed somewhat. I ultimately contacted four dealerships to initiate discussions (dotted around So Cal). I'm not one to waste half a day sat in traffic, test driving, and then sat behind a desk grinding out a deal, so I asked the dealerships to itemize their fees over-and-above the sticker price. Only one of them would, and, to my shock, included over $1,700 for 'theft deterrent' which best I could get out of them boiled down to window etching/stickers. I told them to waive it and I'd be there to test drive - they refused.

The other dealers all refused to describe or itemize their fees, insisting on 'working a deal on the floor'. I want to know if I'm in budget before I waste my day... they all REFUSED. Frustrated, I backed off and kept an eye on listings. So, when is the price the price (and how do you compare without transparency on the fees)?

In then end I found the car on a carvana-like site (called Shift). No-haggle (the price was reasonable, and the fees were itemized upfront). I texted them in the morning, and by 5pm that afternoon someone had driven the car to my house for a test drive. I completed the purchase on their ipad there and then. I could not be happier with this new business model, being fed up with evasive sales reps, excessive fees for services I don't want, being forced to commute in without knowing whether it would be in budget... I won't be going down that path again.

Anyway, I'm pleased with the car and hope I'll be driving it for a few more years, yet!
Interesting!

What's the range on electric only - if that's even a reasonable question? Is the gas considered backup / emergency only, or is it fully expected that you will drive in a 'hybrid' manner? Can you force it into different modes, based on your knowledge of how you will be driving that day?

What was the mileage on the car, and what would it have cost you to buy the 2020 (or 2021) model of the same car new?
Old Oct 9th 2020, 2:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

chawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond repute

We recently had a very good experience buying a used car:

Wife wanted to replace her 2018 Ford Focus with something larger with 4WD/AWD. We regularly visit friends who live down a mile-long sand road.

After searching for a couple of weeks, located a 2018 Nissan Rogue AWD at a local Honda dealer. We had priced up her Focus at $11-12k and was ready to walk if they tried to low-ball us.

Went to the dealership about 4.30pm (thinking it would discourage them from stringing it out for hours). After checking our ID, they gave us the keys and said take it for a test drive. We left the keys to the Focus for them to evaluate.

After about 30-minute test drive, rolled back at the dealer. The sales guy jumped in the back and showed us their appraisal... $13,500.

As we were paying cash and owned the Focus outright, there was no financing involved. We were all done and dusted by 6pm.

I was a bit disappointed that I didn't get to haggle.
Old Oct 9th 2020, 4:07 pm

username.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting!

What's the range on electric only - if that's even a reasonable question? Is the gas considered backup / emergency only, or is it fully expected that you will drive in a 'hybrid' manner? Can you force it into different modes, based on your knowledge of how you will be driving that day?

What was the mileage on the car, and what would it have cost you to buy the 2020 (or 2021) model of the same car new?
For electric only, I had read online that it can do 29 miles, which is almost exactly my distance to work. That said, on the few trips I've taken where I've exhausted the battery, I think I've gotten about 24 on average. Gas is fully hybrid - it's like you get your first 29 miles for 'free'... (besides what it cost you to charge it, which based on my research is about 4 times cheaper than the equivalent in gas).

There is an 'Eco' mode which will program the car to 'behave' in a more economical manner. It also has a dual clutch system (that I'm yet to play with) that will let you manually move up and down the gears, which kind of solves my gripe with the prius where it was a bit sluggish getting on to the freeway. You can also watch how the car is behaving on the dash as you drive - it will tell you whether you're drawing power from the battery or engine, or whether you're charging the battery (regen breaking etc.). There's a lot to play with that I haven't messed around with, yet. You can also get a dynamic report as you're driving as to what percentage of your trip has been aggressive/normal/economical. If I were to pay attention to that I'd imagine it could reset my driving style and habits a bit.

The car has 22k miles on it - it was a lease return and I have to say, it's in immaculate condition. Brand new it's $36k plus an extra $5k+ for the options (panoramic sunroof, leather seats, premium audio etc.), but I think it's eligible for a $4k credit too. I don't tend to buy new because I like the thought of someone else taking a hit on the initial depreciation, as long as I can get in to a low mileage used car in good condition. I paid $17.5k plus tax and some minimal fees. Maybe that's a good deal, maybe not... I think I'll know in three years' time based on whether I'm breaking down on the 5 or not
Old Oct 9th 2020, 5:10 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

How do you figure out if you are being scammed on a online sale?
We have our trike for sale on Bike Trader. There are pictures and descriptions of the trike. We had some interest with people asking questions that we replied to but it went no further. Then we had someone say they would send a check to us and when it had cleared they would send someone to pick up the trike. No questions about the trike or the price. I responded with asking if before payment did they want to look at it or test ride it. They answered no and if we preferred they would send a cashier check not a personal check.

It seems very odd to me. Looking on Google apparently cashier checks can be fake. So gut feeling was to go no further with this.

Would you pay for a vehicle sight unseen?? Would you trust the cashier check?

Old Oct 9th 2020, 5:13 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma

No and No.

Also, Clicky
Old Oct 9th 2020, 5:23 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

We have our trike for sale on Bike Trader. There are pictures and descriptions of the trike. We had some interest with people asking questions that we replied to but it went no further. Then we had someone say they would send a check to us and when it had cleared they would send someone to pick up the trike. No questions about the trike or the price. I responded with asking if before payment did they want to look at it or test ride it. They answered no and if we preferred they would send a cashier check not a personal check.

It seems very odd to me. Looking on Google apparently cashier checks can be fake. So gut feeling was to go no further with this.

Tell them to bog off.
Old Oct 9th 2020, 5:24 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

It's a well known racket with big ticket items for sale on line, most commonly cars. Don't touch it with a barge pole!

You are likely to be sent a check/ MO for more than the asking price and you'll be asked to deposit the check and send the excess back - but you're sending them real money and you will find a week or two later that the check/ MO was a worthless fake.

In any case MO's are easy to forge, and even if they're not forgeries an MO may be stolen and bounced by the bank on which it is drawn for that reason.

Last edited by Pulaski; Oct 9th 2020 at 5:29 pm.
Old Oct 9th 2020, 5:24 pm

Doesn't pass the smell test.
Old Oct 9th 2020, 5:37 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutek
No and No.

Also, Clicky
Yeah, that was why gut feeling said no further!
People are complete bastards aren't they!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.