Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Let's talk about cars

Let's talk about cars

Old Mar 20th 2017, 4:56 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Let's talk about cars

Originally Posted by Rickyk
It is part of the grin. What is nice is that you can customize the traction control, power and suspension. I usually drive with maximum traction control, 700hp and street suspension settings.
That sound you hear in the distance is Colin Chapman spinning in his grave.
Old Mar 20th 2017, 5:23 am

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Colin Chapman spinning in his grave.
Rear wing failure?

Old Mar 20th 2017, 8:38 am
BE Enthusiast

newadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond repute

I had to sell my Caterham 7 when we moved out here
I don't know how difficult it would have been to bring it over, to be honest i didn't bother looking as the thought of melting in the SC summer heat with no air con and no roof didn't hold much appeal. Plus a lack of corners over here. I do miss it though
Old Mar 20th 2017, 8:56 am
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

2 episodes in of the new Top Gear, and I actually don't think it's too bad. They seem to be trying to create their own format for this series. Despite being a Chris Evans fan, he clearly was trying way too hard. Chris Harris on the other hand is excellent! I like the way he isn't trying to copy the old format, he seems his own guy. The 2 films they have done so far have both been good IMO. It's starting to be different enough from the old TG to now be a decent car show in its own right. They even seem to be throttling back on using the stig a lot.
I did hear today that TG America is coming back. Stangly, Tom Ford (who I thought was very good on 5th gear is hosting). Seems strange as Matt LeBlanc is clearly on TG to appeal to a US audience. If I was running the BBC, I'd swap Matt LeBlanc for Tom Ford, cancel TG US and concentrate on TG.
Old Mar 20th 2017, 9:04 am
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by markonline1
2 episodes in of the new Top Gear, and I actually don't think it's too bad. They seem to be trying to create their own format for this series. Despite being a Chris Evans fan, he clearly was trying way too hard. Chris Harris on the other hand is excellent! I like the way he isn't trying to copy the old format, he seems his own guy. The 2 films they have done so far have both been good IMO. It's starting to be different enough from the old TG to now be a decent car show in its own right. They even seem to be throttling back on using the stig a lot.
I did hear today that TG America is coming back. Stangly, Tom Ford (who I thought was very good on 5th gear is hosting). Seems strange as Matt LeBlanc is clearly on TG to appeal to a US audience. If I was running the BBC, I'd swap Matt LeBlanc for Tom Ford, cancel TG US and concentrate on TG.
I watched the first episode last night, I quite liked the new setup. I hate Chris Evans, so I was glad to see the back of him. Matt, Chris Harris and Rory are doing a much better job this time around. Last season was OK when they had more Matt bits and less Evans bits. The episode I just watched was actually good and I'm glad they returned to the proper track and the traditional 'hot lap' format for the celebrity guests insead of that cringy 'competition' from last time, too.
Old Mar 20th 2017, 9:25 am
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, the celebs are in the GT86 this season, which is a great idea. Put em in something that can actually corner if driven right.
Old Mar 20th 2017, 9:31 am
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by markonline1
Yeah, the celebs are in the GT86 this season, which is a great idea. Put em in something that can actually corner if driven right.
And one that appears to be pretty unforgiving if you try to throw it around too much. I liked it. The off-road sections last year were pointless, they just needlessly slowed down the laps and if you had even a slight bit of rain you might as well forget about a halfway decent time.

But the 'Star in a Reasonably Priced Car' will forever be associated with Clarkson's Top Gear, so rightly they decided to move in a different direction. Having Chris Harris do the instructions rather than overusing the Stig worked too. I have yet to watch the second episode, but this iteration of TG looks like a decent car show, with likeable presenters, that can coexist happily with the Grand Tour, without trying to do a cheap imitation of it's predecessor. You get a quality car show produced by the BBC and you also get Clarkson, Hammond and May being silly on Amazon. Win win, for me.
Old Mar 20th 2017, 2:12 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by newadventure
I had to sell my Caterham 7 when we moved out here
I don't know how difficult it would have been to bring it over, ....
That would have depended almost entirely on its age. If it was 25 years old it should have been pretty easy, ... and if it was less old than that, then extremely difficult, if not impossible.
Old Mar 20th 2017, 10:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

rbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by newadventure
Plus a lack of corners over here.
I guess you haven't heard of US 129 (The Dragon). Depending on where you are in SC it could be very close to you. There are a bunch of other roads with plenty of corners not far from there too.
Old Mar 20th 2017, 10:40 pm

Originally Posted by rbackhouse
I guess you haven't heard of US 129 (The Dragon). Depending on where you are in SC it could be very close to you. There are a bunch of other roads with plenty of corners not far from there too.
There are plenty of rural backroads near me in NC with corners, and I drove down through SC just yesterday and the back road I was on didn't want for corners either.

The roads in Virginia, where Mrs P comes from, have loads of corners too, as did NY when we lived up there. I think you have to head over to the plains states, to truely lose the corners, though they're a bit thin on the ground in Florida.

Last edited by Pulaski; Mar 20th 2017 at 10:44 pm.
Old Mar 20th 2017, 10:46 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
There are plenty of rural backroads near me in NC with corners, and I drove down through SC just yesterday and the back road I was on didn't want for corners either.

The roads in Virginia, where Mrs P comes from, have loads of corners too, as did NY when we lived up there. I think you have to head over to the plains states, to truely lose the corners, though they're a bit thin on the ground in Florida.
There are some nice roads around here too.

I thought you guys down there just jumped off dirt ramps.
Old Mar 20th 2017, 10:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

rbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutek
There are some nice roads around here too.

I thought you guys down there just jumped off dirt ramps.
We're just the good old boys who don't mean no harm
Old Mar 20th 2017, 10:50 pm

Originally Posted by rbackhouse
We're just the good old boys who don't mean no harm

That's the ones.
Old Mar 20th 2017, 11:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

ottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond repute

Where can I pick up Dakar TV coverage (past years) on DVD?

I know it's televised, so someone must be selling it. Anything 1980s onward would be good.

There is a lot of Dakar footage on youtube, the 2017 Kamaz with the 12.5 liter engine is a beast.
Old Mar 21st 2017, 12:07 am

.... I thought you guys down there just jumped off dirt ramps.
Only when being chased by law enforcement. Some hills helped me get away the last time I was chased even though I remained earth-bound.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.