Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Let's talk about cars

Let's talk about cars

Old Oct 9th 2020, 5:40 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Let's talk about cars

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
Yeah, that was why gut feeling said no further!
People are complete bastards aren't they!!
Yes, absolute wankers.

Except for us and a few like us
Old Oct 9th 2020, 5:42 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Tell them to bog off.
Originally Posted by Pulaski
It's a well known racket with big ticket items for sale on line, most commonly cars. Don't touch it with a barge pole!

You are likely to be sent a check/ MO for more than the asking price and you'll be asked to deposit the check and send the excess back - but you're sending them real money and you will find a week or two later that the check/ MO was a worthless fake.

In any case MO's are easy to forge, and even if they're not forgeries an MO may be stolen and bounced by the bank on which it is drawn for that reason.
Originally Posted by username.exe
Doesn't pass the smell test.

I guess we have to wait for a genuine person to come along or rethink our plan.
We could trade it in with our truck and buy a new truck but we like the truck we have so seems pointless.

I guess we might just be keeping it.
Old Oct 9th 2020, 6:00 am

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
Yeah, that was why gut feeling said no further!
People are complete bastards aren't they!!
People do suck. It's a fact.
Old Oct 9th 2020, 6:02 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutek
People do suck. It's a fact.
You don't Nutek
Old Oct 9th 2020, 6:40 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

I've been trying to buy this trike off some women in Texas. She keeps refusing to take my check. Oh well guess I'll have to give up on my ride back to Oregon and fly instead.
Old Oct 9th 2020, 7:45 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
I've been trying to buy this trike off some women in Texas. She keeps refusing to take my check. Oh well guess I'll have to give up on my ride back to Oregon and fly instead.

Meet me outside the cop shop with cash only then you have a deal.Our friendly chief will check the cash for fakes. As it's you I might include a good Texas BBQ lunch in the deal as well!

See you soon..
Old Oct 9th 2020, 10:18 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

I don't usually buy new cars, but the wife has wanted one for awhile and I agreed that she deserved a treat.

2020 Honda Civic Sport.
Old Oct 10th 2020, 3:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant

I don't usually buy new cars, but the wife has wanted one for awhile and I agreed that she deserved a treat.

2020 Honda Civic Sport.
Wow! The Civic has come a long way!
Old Oct 10th 2020, 4:03 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

I don't usually buy new cars, but the wife has wanted one for a while and I agreed that she deserved a treat.

2020 Honda Civic Sport.
Nice, though I presume it's an auto. .... It's possible our next new car might be a Civic Sport, but given how little we're driving at the moment, it'll be a while before we're in the market.
Old Oct 10th 2020, 12:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

So back to my Honda CRV hybrid. I am going to presume that the heater is driven solely off the gas engine's cooling system. Because, I can be driving along with the gas engine not running, turn the heating temperature up and... it starts the gas engine. I guess in a way it has to work this way, as otherwise the limited battery capacity would be drained even more quickly. So why is this a potential problem? Well, if you live in a cold weather area, I would imagine that the gas engine would have to run more than it otherwise would, just to run the heater. But, that's probably not a problem as long as there's battery capacity to store the generated electricity not needed at that instant for driving the electric motor. But if the battery is at capacity, then I think you run into a similar problem as with regenerative braking in such a situation. It would be very interesting to know whether hybrids get lower fuel economy in cold weather climates.
Old Oct 10th 2020, 10:07 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Nice, though I presume it's an auto. .... It's possible our next new car might be a Civic Sport, but given how little we're driving at the moment, it'll be a while before we're in the market.
Yep sure is. You can get manuals, but for everyday driving? Auto is fine.

Our driving really hasn't decreased at all during COVID with both being essential workers. She's moved up from a 2012 Ford Fusion, so the leap in to new tech is somewhat jarring for her

They're actually pretty reasonably priced too. I paid $20,920 out the door, no trade in.

Last edited by civilservant; Oct 10th 2020 at 10:09 pm.
Old Oct 11th 2020, 3:38 am
BE Practitioner (Level 2)

username.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond repute

Yep sure is. You can get manuals, but for everyday driving? Auto is fine.

Our driving really hasn't decreased at all during COVID with both being essential workers. She's moved up from a 2012 Ford Fusion, so the leap in to new tech is somewhat jarring for her

They're actually pretty reasonably priced too. I paid $20,920 out the door, no trade in.
I was on the fence with car play for a long time, never pulled the trigger.
Now it's in my daily driver, I wonder how I drove without it. Same with heated/cooled seats!
Old Oct 11th 2020, 5:20 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Yep sure is. You can get manuals, but for everyday driving? Auto is fine. ....
I have (still) never owned an auto, so Mrs P and I both use manuals for daily driving.
.... Our driving really hasn't decreased at all during COVID with both being essential workers. She's moved up from 2012 Ford Fusion, so the leap in to new tech is somewhat jarring for her

Not bad - that's just a few hundred less than we paid for our Accord coupé, in 2017.

Last edited by Pulaski; Oct 11th 2020 at 5:24 am.
Old Oct 11th 2020, 7:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

I have (still) never owned an auto, so Mrs P and I both use manuals for daily driving.
When I arrived in the US, I had only ever driven manuals in the UK. I was determined to buy a manual here. Couldn't find one, so went with automatic. It worked perfectly, was 10x easier to deal with in traffic, and easier to later sell. When I return to UK and end up with manual transmissions, I absolutely hate it - unnecessary fussing, unsafe need to remove one hand from the wheel during shifts, etc ... The one possible positive is better gas mileage; not sure how big an issue that is.
Old Oct 11th 2020, 7:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
So back to my Honda CRV hybrid. I am going to presume that the heater is driven solely off the gas engine's cooling system. Because, I can be driving along with the gas engine not running, turn the heating temperature up and... it starts the gas engine. I guess in a way it has to work this way, as otherwise the limited battery capacity would be drained even more quickly. So why is this a potential problem? Well, if you live in a cold weather area, I would imagine that the gas engine would have to run more than it otherwise would, just to run the heater. But, that's probably not a problem as long as there's battery capacity to store the generated electricity not needed at that instant for driving the electric motor. But if the battery is at capacity, then I think you run into a similar problem as with regenerative braking in such a situation. It would be very interesting to know whether hybrids get lower fuel economy in cold weather climates.
Reading a little about this, some electric cars have heat pump systems for heating. But using the gas engine seems to make most sense in hybrids. Apparently they use more than just the engine's cooling system, though - they also have heat-exchangers on the exhaust gas system.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.