Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Let's talk about cars

Let's talk about cars

Old Jul 11th 2013, 10:16 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Let's talk about cars

Originally Posted by Mr Weeze
I get all that. I just don't believe anyone would really think it makes zero contribution, unless they have a solar recharger.
Haven't you heard, smugness trumps logic!
Old Jul 11th 2013, 11:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
I haven't actually test driven one yet, so I can't comment on the CVT. Though from my reading around they are becoming more common probably due to their better fuel efficiency. Subaru lists their as a few mpg better than the manual.

I have friends who have Outbacks and love them and I have noticed that it is hard to get hold of good secondhand ones. People just seem to keep them.
I like CVT's. Snowmobiles run CVT's. When I was with Ford they introduced a CVT in the all new F150 some years back. I drove one as a demo and loved it. It was quite smooth. I also drove a Ford 500 and a Ford Freestyle with CVT. Equally pleased. They are, as has been said, better on fuel. They actually had to program the transmission module in the trucks to act like a regular transmission when shifting under hard acceleration. In other words, feel the shift. That came from truck focus groups saying the liked to feel the shift. The concept of it not being necessary escaped them. I always thought that a bad idea and potential for problems. Not sure if they still run them in the truck or not. Been away from Ford for 8 years. They are definitely becoming more than common. There is a list here of all the cars that use them. Quite a long list.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._transmissions
Old Jul 12th 2013, 2:52 am
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dakota44
I like CVT's. Snowmobiles run CVT's. When I was with Ford they introduced a CVT in the all new F150 some years back. I drove one as a demo and loved it. It was quite smooth. I also drove a Ford 500 and a Ford Freestyle with CVT. Equally pleased. They are, as has been said, better on fuel. They actually had to program the transmission module in the trucks to act like a regular transmission when shifting under hard acceleration. In other words, feel the shift. That came from truck focus groups saying the liked to feel the shift. The concept of it not being necessary escaped them. I always thought that a bad idea and potential for problems. Not sure if they still run them in the truck or not. Been away from Ford for 8 years. They are definitely becoming more than common. There is a list here of all the cars that use them. Quite a long list.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._transmissions
With Audis on that list I am surprised the VWs and Skodas aren't also on it - I thought they shared the same drive-train and platform.
Old Jul 12th 2013, 3:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Brit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zargof
Brit3964 has a bicycle powered generator in his basement.

However, he also eats Taco Bell, so does actually contribute to global warming.
Taco Smell will sure help develop personal bio-fuel then again Special Brew will do the same and be more fun

???WTF??? And where did the power come from?
In FL, I believe 54% from natural gas and quite a bit of nuclear fuel too. Certainly down here in the South, 20% of FPL's total output is nuclear powered. Far worse are the rust belt States where coal and oil rule.

I get all that. I just don't believe anyone would really think it makes zero contribution, unless they have a solar recharger.
I may do that next year and take advantage of the "Sunshine State's" free energy supply.
Old Jul 12th 2013, 3:59 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Think these ran a cvt....though that's not much of an advert!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/carcheology/3072663766/http://www.flickr.com/photos/carcheology/3072663766/
Old Jul 12th 2013, 11:49 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

What's that ahead of me, a car I followed a few days ago? .... It was small, obviously old, and clearly not American. It looks a bit like an Austin 1100, but I don't remember it looking quite like that - it looks misshapen at the back, slightly squarish, boxy. When I pulled up behind it at a junction, I saw it was a Vanden Plas Princess 1300, I never remember even seeing one of those in the UK!

Last edited by Pulaski; Jul 12th 2013 at 11:52 am.
Old Jul 12th 2013, 11:58 am

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
What's that ahead of me, a car I followed a few days ago? .... It was small, obviously old, and clearly not American. It looks a bit like an Austin 1100, but I don't remember it looking quite like that - it looks misshapen at the back, slightly squarish, boxy. When I pulled up behind it at a junction, I saw it was a Vanden Plas Princess 1300, I never remember even seeing one of those in the UK!
Brown Velour Upholstery.
Old Jul 12th 2013, 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by Nutek
Brown Velour Upholstery.
Probably so, .... because you won't be surprised to hear that it was painted a beige colour!
Old Jul 12th 2013, 12:39 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Probably so, .... because you won't be surprised to hear that it was painted a beige colour!
Gloss or Emulsion?
Old Jul 12th 2013, 12:44 pm

Gloss or Emulsion?
Hard to say, after what would be 40 years if the paint job was original, it wasn't in the best of shape, and there certainly wasn't much shine to it. I understand that sometimes "original" adds some appeal or value, but if I was going to drive a 40 year old car around I'd want it to have a decent paint job.
Old Jul 12th 2013, 1:19 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

... if I was going to drive a 40 year old car around I'd want it to have a decent paint job.
That would spoil the authenticity of a British Leyland car, though.
Old Jul 12th 2013, 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
A bit like drying out the carpet on the passenger side footwell.
Old Jul 12th 2013, 1:32 pm

I don't remember ever telling you about the issues my Ital had.
Old Jul 12th 2013, 1:32 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

A bit like having a passenger side footwell, now you come to mention it ...
Old Jul 12th 2013, 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Personally, I don't think that any British Leyland car that is still driveable after more than even 10 years days, is in the least bit "authentic".

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.