Reload this Page >

Education info for USA.

Education info for USA.

Old Feb 8th 2008, 6:36 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Education info for USA.

And if Amy Winehouse can get a visa to the US, i think i have a good chance
I would also think your chance are very similar.

Only thing that happened to me in school was i got in a fight and moved, then moved again and ended up getting no qualifications, nothing sinister
Not sure if I understand the relationship, they would not let you take the exams?
Old Feb 8th 2008, 6:39 pm
Forum Regular

DaPs is just really niceDaPs is just really niceDaPs is just really niceDaPs is just really niceDaPs is just really niceDaPs is just really niceDaPs is just really niceDaPs is just really nice

I moved from one school to another, didn't get along there and moved back to my original home. Tried to get into school there through an appeal, which they said no to because the new school was supposidly full. So i ended up having to goto college with people who were thrown out of school or were bullied/abit strange for school.

So i had 5 gcse's to do, i didn't bother with the exams because i had it in my head i shouldn't bother(Don't ask why) So i messed it up at the end.

I got qualifications there, but they are gcse equivalents.

I've been in college the last two years and i'm a qualified hairdresser.

So i have qualifications, just no gcses.
Old Feb 9th 2008, 1:12 am
Forum Regular

elliep has much to be proud ofelliep has much to be proud ofelliep has much to be proud ofelliep has much to be proud ofelliep has much to be proud ofelliep has much to be proud ofelliep has much to be proud ofelliep has much to be proud ofelliep has much to be proud ofelliep has much to be proud ofelliep has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by DaPs
I moved from one school to another, didn't get along there and moved back to my original home. Tried to get into school there through an appeal, which they said no to because the new school was supposidly full. So i ended up having to goto college with people who were thrown out of school or were bullied/abit strange for school.

So i had 5 gcse's to do, i didn't bother with the exams because i had it in my head i shouldn't bother(Don't ask why) So i messed it up at the end.

I got qualifications there, but they are gcse equivalents.

I've been in college the last two years and i'm a qualified hairdresser.

So i have qualifications, just no gcses.
6 GCSE's is *roughly* the equivalent to a High School Diploma (what you need for Community College), so you may not be too far off the mark.

A levels just give you extra credit to go towards a degree, some they can use, some they can't.

If you really want to do it, I'm sure you'll find a way, it just won't be quick, easy, cheap or straightforward.
Old Feb 9th 2008, 1:23 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by elliep
6 GCSE's is *roughly* the equivalent to a High School Diploma (what you need for Community College), so you may not be too far off the mark.
He was going to do 5, did not do any.
Old Feb 9th 2008, 1:32 am
Forum Regular

elliep has much to be proud ofelliep has much to be proud ofelliep has much to be proud ofelliep has much to be proud ofelliep has much to be proud ofelliep has much to be proud ofelliep has much to be proud ofelliep has much to be proud ofelliep has much to be proud ofelliep has much to be proud ofelliep has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Boiler
He was going to do 5, did not do any.
Just ignore me!!! No idea how I missed that! Sorry
Old Feb 9th 2008, 1:36 am
Forum Regular

DaPs is just really niceDaPs is just really niceDaPs is just really niceDaPs is just really niceDaPs is just really niceDaPs is just really niceDaPs is just really niceDaPs is just really nice

I will do the access course in september(cheap and needs no former qualifications)

Not sure how i can goto USA for uni, but i am looking to do either Law, Politics, Economics or a mixture of them.

Last edited by DaPs; Feb 9th 2008 at 3:17 am.
Old Feb 9th 2008, 2:59 am
BE Enthusiast

yorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to behold

Law is a postgraduate course in the USA, you need a bachelors degree, with a good g.p.a plus a good LSAT score to get into a good law school, plus it is very expensive.

To do law in the UK at a decent university you normally need pretty high A level UCAS points, most require A's or a mixture of A's and B's. If you see a university in the UK offering a law course for low level points its probably not a good uni and if you want to practise law in the future you'll find getting a training contract with a degree from a bottom uni to be very hard.

However, there are some ways of getting into a good uni and transferring to law if you havent got the best (or any a levels). There are some good uni's (I know Lancaster is an example) where once you are accepted on any course, the first year is made up of taking the major that you applied to do plus you are required to select two other majors to take in the first year. Say if you entered on a course to do Art you could also pick up law and politics and study them at the same time. You do all the same core courses that first year law students do and at the end of the first year as long as you have good grades in all the 3 subjects you took (i.e art, law and politics) you get the option to change your major to one of the three. Hence, you could enter the univeristy to do a course that doesnt require high UCAS points,work really hard and at the end of the 1st year transfer to law and you will end up after 3 years with an l.l.b (the law degree) from a good univeristy :-)

If you still want to go to the US after all this you can look at then applying to law school in the U.S, as you will then have a bachelors degree (with hopefully good grades). The l.l.b itself is recognized in quite a few common law countries and I have friends from Canada and Australia who have come to England to get the l.l.b then gone home to practise law in their chosen countries. The U.S is a little different because you need a J.D to sit the bar in most states (I think NY and CA are the exceptions). This means once you have your l.l.b you will have to enroll in a US law school to get the J.D. The good news is that quite a few good US universities realise that the U.S/English legal systems are quite similar i.e common law systems so you wil find that the l.l.b will give you enough credit to knock a year off U.S law school so you can complete it in two rather than 3 years...

I know this is all a long way in the future for you but it will give you something to focus on if you really are serious about studying law and/or going to the U.S...
Old Feb 9th 2008, 3:04 am
BE Enthusiast

yorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to behold

Oh I forgot to mention also that if you do want to persue the U.S law school path you should probably start saving now because you will need to show you have adequate funds to get accepted, and non resident fees can range from anything from $20,000 to $45,000 per year and thats not even including accomodation, food, books, transport etc...
Old Feb 9th 2008, 3:24 am
Forum Regular

I think i'm more inclined to go down the politics and economics route as a major, but also study law to back it up.

I want to make the world a better place and have an impact on the world when i'm older(sounds like a fantasy) lol but that's what i want to do.

I was thinking about training for the RAF as a pilot when i'm in uni, so maybe i will live out in the USA in the future permanently for a while, uni there for a year etc.
Old Feb 9th 2008, 3:49 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I want to make the world a better place and have an impact on the world when i'm older(sounds like a fantasy) lol but that's what i want to do.
Not a fantasy at all... it sounds like a noble and honorable quest. Good luck.

Ian
Old Feb 9th 2008, 3:51 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Not a fantasy at all... it sounds like a noble and honorable quest. Good luck.

Ian

I'm beginning to worry about you, Ian...........
Old Feb 9th 2008, 3:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

What about doing one or more open uni subjects?
Old Feb 9th 2008, 3:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira

I'm beginning to worry about you, Ian...........
It's a bit weird.....has someone taken over his body?
Old Feb 9th 2008, 4:01 am
BE Enthusiast

It sounds like you need to sit down and actually figure out what you want to do with your life... In the entire thread you have been talking about;

a) Moving to O.C
b) Going to uni in the US
c) Doing an acess course and going to uni in the UK
d) Studying Law, Politics and Economics
e) Joining the RAF
f) Becoming a philanthropist

?!?!

Last edited by yorkieuk; Feb 9th 2008 at 4:02 am. Reason: error
Old Feb 9th 2008, 4:03 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

I think i'm more inclined to go down the politics and economics route as a major, but also study law to back it up.

I was thinking about training for the RAF as a pilot when i'm in uni, so maybe i will live out in the USA in the future permanently for a while, uni there for a year etc.
Theyy need qualified hairdressers ...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.