Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Education info for USA.

Education info for USA.

Old Feb 6th 2008, 3:28 pm
Forum Regular

DaPs is just really niceDaPs is just really niceDaPs is just really niceDaPs is just really niceDaPs is just really niceDaPs is just really niceDaPs is just really niceDaPs is just really nice
Default Education info for USA.

Hi everyone.

I wanted to do an access course here in the UK in september, so i could then go on to university. But i was thinking of going to the USA instead to do it.

I was looking at just going out for a summer job in California, but that looks incredibly difficult, as i'd need a job placement before going, very unlikely to happen!

So i was wondering what is the equivalent to a levels out there and how could i go about getting on a course?

I am 19(20 in august).

So are there any courses out there like the access course in this country? Like an adult learning class that are the equivalent to a levels that need no qualifications to get into?

Also, could i get into high school to do the final year?

I just found out about cohsee, i wonder if i could do that and get grants to help me?

Thanks.

DaPs.

Last edited by DaPs; Feb 6th 2008 at 5:24 pm.
Old Feb 7th 2008, 12:33 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Education info for USA.

Originally Posted by DaPs
But i was thinking of going to the USA instead to do it.
Is there a reason you want to do this in the US? Seems like an awful lot of trouble to go through for something that you can already get where you are!

So are there any courses out there like the access course in this country?
Yes, of course. Most colleges have some sort of preparatory courses which will bring you up to speed if you've been out of school for a while. You usually don't get credit towards a degree for these courses. However, unless your long-term plan to stay in the US to attend college or university, I'm not sure how useful they'd be.

Like an adult learning class that are the equivalent to a levels that need no qualifications to get into? Also, could i get into high school to do the final year?
I suppose you could look at an F-1 visa.

Ian
Old Feb 7th 2008, 1:06 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Several UK universities offer courses that have exchange programs that would give you one year in the US. Much cheaper.
Old Feb 7th 2008, 1:11 am
Forum Regular

DaPs is just really niceDaPs is just really niceDaPs is just really niceDaPs is just really niceDaPs is just really niceDaPs is just really niceDaPs is just really niceDaPs is just really nice

I saw about the COHSEE in California where you can graduate high school over there.

I would expect you could get a uni place with it, i will have to look into that.

Could anyone tell me about prices etc in California, i'm looking to goto Orange County. Prices, rent etc.

Thanks.
Old Feb 7th 2008, 1:36 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
Several UK universities offer courses that have exchange programs that would give you one year in the US.
This would presuppose, wouldn't it, that he was already accepted to and attending that university?

Ian
Old Feb 7th 2008, 1:38 am
Account Closed

Could anyone tell me about prices etc in California, i'm looking to goto Orange County. Prices, rent etc.
Slow down... first things first. What visa are you eligible for? If you have no way to legally get to the US to study, then knowing that California - and Orange County especially - is very expensive, doesn't really help you at all.

Ian
Old Feb 7th 2008, 2:59 am
Forum Regular

I'm a UK citizen so am eligible to study in the US with a student VISA.

I'd like to know cost information.
Old Feb 7th 2008, 3:03 am
BE Enthusiast

English Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond repute

Edited. Misread the OP

Last edited by English Muffin; Feb 7th 2008 at 3:06 am.
Old Feb 7th 2008, 3:05 am
Forum Regular

Well i can apply can't i!

I want to know what courses i can do first, to put in the application

If you could give me info on tha first.....then it'd be helpful.
Old Feb 7th 2008, 3:08 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Well i can apply can't i!

I want to know what courses i can do first, to put in the application

If you could give me info on tha first.....then it'd be helpful.
www.google.com
Old Feb 7th 2008, 3:12 am
Forum Regular

I have looked on google and have found it hard to find courses that could then get me onto university in the USA without any formal education in the UK.

Can you see why i have posted here now? I can hardly type that into google and get any decent answers.

Please just try and help me with my questions instead of taking the p***.

Thanks.
Old Feb 7th 2008, 3:15 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Not sure about High School.

Middle School might be a better bet.
Old Feb 7th 2008, 3:17 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sure it will depend on location, but just to give you an idea, an older apartment, 1-bedroom 1-bath, about 600 SF rents for $1,300 a month in West Hollywood (about an hour away from Orange County). From what I've heard, OC is more upscale and therefore might run higher.

Rene
Old Feb 7th 2008, 3:20 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for that noorah.

I wont post again, because people seem to be very unhelpful with comments such as boilers.

Absolutely pathetic attitude when all i wanted was a little bit of advice.

Goodbye.
Old Feb 7th 2008, 3:32 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

http://www.asl.org/

American School in London

http://www.acs-england.co.uk/schools/index.htm

American Schools around London.

Graduate, get good SAT's and then you will be good to go in applying for a F1 in the US at a good Uni.

Amazing what Google can do.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.