Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Education info for USA.

Education info for USA.

Old Feb 8th 2008, 4:49 am
Forum Regular

DaPs is just really niceDaPs is just really niceDaPs is just really niceDaPs is just really niceDaPs is just really niceDaPs is just really niceDaPs is just really niceDaPs is just really nice
Default Re: Education info for USA.

Just don't pay the income tax, it'll reduce your tax bill hugely, like i said.
Old Feb 8th 2008, 5:09 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dan B
Let me elaborate.
Dan, thank you. That was a lot more understandable.

Originally Posted by DaPs
My first thought was to literally just go for the summer to get away from the UK for a month or two, so maybe i should revert back to that.

Then again, i could just go on a visa waiver and get a cash in hand job whilst i'm there (july - august)

Ok, if i could get in contact with some employers, maybe they would be interested in hiring me for a month or two over the summer.

I know what kind of visa i would need then etc.
Dan, as you might have figured out by now, there isn't a casual work visa for the type of summer hob you're describing. But you've had a lot of good leads in this thread that are close to what you'd like.

H-2B is a casual labor visa. Like Bob says, it's often for ski resort workers. I read just yesterday that they are expanding the number of those visas (tho I don't know how soon). Something about produce rotting on the vine or something, but the point is, there is opportunity. Now you have to ferret out the details that could work for you.

Same with the J-1 visa. There are many student-AGE oriented programs and scholarships. You don't necessarily have to be in school to take advantage.

Finally, if you want to go back to school, Community College and/or on to a University, that is done with an F-1 visa, but there are limitations to it regarding work.

Maybe you can spend some time to see how much effort you'd like to put into any of that.

Things happen in school that ruins your school life, and you end up with nothing, nothing to do with being intelligent or not.

If you do want to come to the US long term in the future, I really recommend that you keep on the right side of immigration law. US immigration law is not very forgiving. "Things happen" is the most common 'reason' (excuse) people have for their immigration violations. You've got a chance to get it right from the start--good luck.

Finally, I can't believe you guys stuck with this all night and into the AM!
Old Feb 8th 2008, 5:13 am
Forum Regular

DaPs is just really niceDaPs is just really niceDaPs is just really niceDaPs is just really niceDaPs is just really niceDaPs is just really niceDaPs is just really niceDaPs is just really nice

Thanks for that.

I don't know why your quoting what i said about school then saying that i am saying things happen about immigration, i wasn't even talking about that, but anyway.
Old Feb 8th 2008, 5:14 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
.........I can't believe you guys stuck with this all night and into the AM!
The Procrastinaficniation thread doesn't seem to be going anywhere...

Plus anything is better than doing my %$@#(&*ing taxes...

Old Feb 8th 2008, 5:40 am
BE Forum Addict

chicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond repute

And he's still have a dig...
Old Feb 8th 2008, 8:29 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know why your quoting what i said about school then saying that i am saying things happen about immigration, i wasn't even talking about that, but anyway.
I believe I understand... let me try to explain...

Generally speaking, when people say things like, "things happen in school that ruins your school life, and you end up with nothing..." (by the way, I do not mean you specifically... I'm just talking very generally here), it means there was some sort of trouble. It seems that whatever that trouble was (and we really don't need to know), was serious enough that it affected your education. This type of "serious" issue has a way of showing up in a background check... the same sort of background check used by immigation officials both in the US and the UK. Unfortunately, if the issue is serious enough, it will affect your ability to get a visa.

I hope this clears things up a bit! Let me state again, that this is just a general observation and may or may not be accurate... I was just trying to explain Meauxna's comment to you.

Ian
Old Feb 8th 2008, 8:33 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
Plus anything is better than doing my %$@#(&*ing taxes...
Hah... I saw this!

Ian
Old Feb 8th 2008, 8:34 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that.

You say that 'things' happened to interfere with your schooling.

I'm saying that 'things' tend to happen to people who come to the US on the VWP and really really want to work and they feel justified n' stuff and so they do it because really, who are they hurting etc etc

And then they find out that those 'things' come to interfere with their wish to legally immigrate to the US or come here to work on a 'real job'.

If you have any desire for a future move to the US, it is better to stay on the right side of things now. Obviously it can be done, we all know people who have come over for casual labor, a lark whatever and they seem to face no consequences.
I have a good Brit friend who can't even come visit us now because of his time on a dude ranch long long ago...
Old Feb 8th 2008, 8:34 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Ya know, Ian, you're much more concise when you're not being nice.
Old Feb 8th 2008, 8:41 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by meauxna
I'm saying that 'things' tend to happen to people who come to the US on the VWP and really really want to work and they feel justified n' stuff and so they do it because really, who are they hurting etc
Hmm... it seems that I did not accurately interpret what you were thinking. My bad!

Ian
Old Feb 8th 2008, 8:42 am

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Hah... I saw this!

Ian
Me too. Seems the Madam may need some discipline of her own...
Old Feb 8th 2008, 8:44 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Ya know, Ian, you're much more concise when you're not being nice.
Well, a single specific expletive certainly is more to the point than an explanation. <sigh> You're not the only one who misses the old me!

Ian
Old Feb 8th 2008, 9:56 am
BE Enthusiast

yorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to behold

The UK should have a constitution like the USA, because no one knows what their rights are in this country really!

Ummm the Uk does have a constitution, if you had been taught anything in history you would know this. It is just not a written constitution like some states have (i.e the US) instead it a consitution that has evolved over time.

And as for not knowing your rights?! Google the Human Rights Act 1998.
Old Feb 8th 2008, 2:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
I remember an episode of Room 222 (am I dating myself?).
Only a little, gramps
Old Feb 8th 2008, 5:59 pm
Forum Regular

I know that yorkieUK, but i was just making an observation that it is much more difficult for people in this country to know what the constitution is, and we don't have one like the USA, which we should have, which simplifies all of the documentation over the years.

And if Amy Winehouse can get a visa to the US, i think i have a good chance

Only thing that happened to me in school was i got in a fight and moved, then moved again and ended up getting no qualifications, nothing sinister

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.