Wikiposts

Christian America?

Old Apr 9th 2008, 12:46 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Christian America?

Originally Posted by Bill_S
Stem cell research is legal in the US. The restriction is that federal funds can't be spent on human, embryonic stem cells. I think that's a bad decision, and ought to be reversed, but it doesn't mean stem cell research has been banned.
Yes but due to Bush being obtuse - the US will be far behind the rest of the world in the research. We look like fools. I spoke with a woman the other day whose husband had gone to an Asian country for a life saving surgical procedure involving a stem cell transplant. Fortunately for them - these people are rich as Rockefeller. It says a lot about where this country stands and where our priorities lie. Pathetic.
Old Apr 9th 2008, 12:55 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
Well, I meant legally practice, I should have been more specific. I certainly don't condone any sort of child abuse or other illegal activity. I'm pretty sure that group wasn't what you'd call mainstream Baptist, closer to a cult than a legitimate church. Most Baptists are probably as horrified as the rest of us over the actions of that group.
I thought they were a splinter Mormon group??!!
Old Apr 9th 2008, 12:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie66
Yes but due to Bush being obtuse - the US will be far behind the rest of the world in the research. We look like fools. I spoke with a woman the other day whose husband had gone to an Asian country for a life saving surgical procedure involving a stem cell transplant. Fortunately for them - these people are rich as Rockefeller. It says a lot about where this country stands and where our priorities lie. Pathetic.
Behind, yes. Far behind? I'm not so sure about that. The restriction will be lifted eventually. When that happens, NIH funded labs will go to work quickly. Knowledge gained by other countries will be available in the literature, so that work won't need to be re-done in the US. Leading researchers from other countries will be heavily recruited to the US. In the meantime, state and privately funded research will continue. As I said, I think it's a bad decision, but I'm not as pessimistic about the future.
Old Apr 9th 2008, 12:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Behind, yes. Far behind? I'm not so sure about that. The restriction will be lifted eventually. When that happens, NIH funded labs will go to work quickly. Knowledge gained by other countries will be available in the literature, so that work won't need to be re-done in the US. Leading researchers from other countries will be heavily recruited to the US. In the meantime, state and privately funded research will continue. As I said, I think it's a bad decision, but I'm not as pessimistic about the future.
NIH funding has been decimated by the war.
Old Apr 9th 2008, 12:59 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TruBrit
is your wife first or second baptist? i ask you this hoping you can answer a question for me....

in our close we have two neighbours, one is a judge who's second baptist and the other is a lawyer who's first baptist and they despise each other...they think i know what the difference is between second and first but i'm with the Woolwich and haven't a clue
don't forget the Primitive Baptists.
Old Apr 9th 2008, 1:02 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cindyabs
Are they related to the Baptists Savants?
Old Apr 9th 2008, 1:03 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
Quoting your reply to me is a technical nighmare so I'm not going to try!

But....

Blue laws (IIRC, like I said It's been a while) were laws saying stores couldn't be open on Sunday. They might still exist to a limited extent where I am pertaining to liquor sales but I can't remember exactly what the rules are. Maybe no liqour sales on Sunday until noon or something...

Re: your last remark, why wouldn't you be as worried about a practicing Muslim as president as you would be about a practicing Christian? As bad as you obviously think it is here with regard to religion, I find you saying that the election of a Muslim would give you a political warm and fuzzy odd.
Old Apr 9th 2008, 1:03 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Old Apr 9th 2008, 1:04 pm
Sursum corda

Originally Posted by Elvira
Are they related to the Baptists Savants?
the one I knew was an Idiot anyway........
Old Apr 9th 2008, 1:07 pm
Sursum corda

Quoting your reply to me is a technical nighmare so I'm not going to try!

But....

Blue laws (IIRC, like I said It's been a while) were laws saying stores couldn't be open on Sunday. They might still exist to a limited extent where I am pertaining to liquor sales but I can't remember exactly what the rules are. Maybe no liqour sales on Sunday until noon or something...

Re: your last remark, why wouldn't you be as worried about a practicing Muslim as president as you would be about a practicing Christian? As bad as you obviously think it is here with regard to religion, I find you saying that the election of a Muslim would give you a political warm and fuzzy odd.
Didn't they have Blue laws in Europe? I know when I lived in Germany you were sucking pond water if you didn't get your shopping done by 2pm on Saturday-except for the monthly long Saturday.
Old Apr 9th 2008, 1:07 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't know what the hell kind of fruitcake outfit they were! I barely remember hearing about it due to my self imposed media blackout. Elvira said Baptist, I figured she knew what she was talking about and went with Baptist!
Old Apr 9th 2008, 1:09 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

<snort>
Old Apr 9th 2008, 1:10 pm
Sursum corda

I didn't know what the hell kind of fruitcake outfit they were! I barely remember hearing about it due to my self imposed media blackout. Elvira said Baptist, I figured she knew what she was talking about and went with Baptist!
"But child welfare officials allege in court documents released Tuesday that the compound built by leaders of the Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints was rife with sexual abuse, with girls spiritually married to much older men as soon as they reached puberty and boys groomed to perpetuate the cycle."
Old Apr 9th 2008, 1:11 pm
WTF?

I'm not pessimistic either but I am embarrassed.
Old Apr 9th 2008, 1:11 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

........why wouldn't you be as worried about a practicing Muslim as president as you would be about a practicing Christian? As bad as you obviously think it is here with regard to religion, I find you saying that the election of a Muslim would give you a political warm and fuzzy odd.
To clarify: I am not worried about a practising *anything* being president, or an atheist for that matter. As far as I'm concerned, the president's religion should be irrelevant. What worries me is the idea of *any* president having a religious agenda, i.e. trying to impose his belief system on the country and its laws.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.