Christian America?

Old Apr 9th 2008, 7:19 am
Militant Ginger

Roland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Christian America?

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
Those were real issues that came up and were debated, I don't think that's a waste of time or misuse of the system, unlike the recent steroid use in sports thing. Your point seems to be that the fact they were debated at all is indicative of a non-secular influence, I think that's pushing it. BTW, I don't think illegals should be able to vote, they are not citizens, and the gay marriage and flag burning amendment proposals failed, which I see as evidence of somewhat less than the right wing dictatorship that some would have me believe is running things.

I'm not even sure what t-cells are, are they the same as or similar to stem cells? If so, I think this one has some merit as I'm sure there was considerable pressure from religious lobbies, but I bet they weren't exclusively Christian. Actually, that goes for the gay marriage amendment above as well.

I think that's kind of shaky, I don't think most people know enough about the crusades to see the parallel. Most people I know that were in favor of the invasion of Iraq were so because they had been told and believed that Saddam had or was attempting to obtain some sort of WMD and intended to use it. I believe there would have been much less public support for the war initially if there was no talk of a direct threat to the US.
I think the fact that nobody - NOBODY - would imagine an athiest president being elected in this day and age suggests that religion has more of a stranglehold in modern America than it did in the 'less civilised' 18th century.
Old Apr 9th 2008, 7:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
Interesting that people in Europe by and large did not fall for this WMD red herring, don't you think?
Yes. Very noticeable when we visited Turin around that time.
Old Apr 9th 2008, 7:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Roland Hulme
I think the fact that nobody - NOBODY - would imagine an athiest president being elected in this day and age suggests that religion has more of a stranglehold in modern America than it did in the 'less civilised' 18th century.
Excellent point.
Old Apr 9th 2008, 7:26 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Yes. Very noticeable when we visited Turin around that time.
I marched in London on 15 February 2003. "Everyone" - from all strata of society - was there.
Old Apr 9th 2008, 7:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I marched in London on 15 February 2003. "Everyone" - from all strata of society - was there.
Up in the Midlands it was not a big issue. I felt we followed the US far more than the continental Europeans did.
Old Apr 9th 2008, 7:29 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Up in the Midlands it was not a big issue. I felt we followed the US far more than the continental Europeans did.
Blair has a lot to answer for
Old Apr 9th 2008, 7:32 am
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting that people in Europe by and large did not fall for this WMD red herring, don't you think?
Was that because Europeans aren't as fervently Christian as some in the US?
Old Apr 9th 2008, 7:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Blair has a lot to answer for
There was arguably a Blair/Bush faith link.
Old Apr 9th 2008, 7:36 am
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Roland Hulme
But the fundamentalist Christian didn't do so hot either...

And who was the atheist president? I really don't know about their religious backgrounds, with the exception of JFK and T.R.
Old Apr 9th 2008, 7:38 am
Homebody

And who was the atheist president? I really don't know about their religious backgrounds, with the exception of JFK and T.R.
Okay: what do you reckon are the chances of an atheist becoming president of the USA?
Old Apr 9th 2008, 7:39 am
Homebody

I think Europeans by and large are a lot less trusting and more cynical than you guys!
Old Apr 9th 2008, 7:39 am
Militant Ginger

Roland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond repute

Thomas Jefferson. 3rd president of this wonderful nation and author of the Jefferson Bible, not-God bless him.
Old Apr 9th 2008, 7:41 am
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

I think Europeans by and large are a lot less trusting and more cynical than you guys!
I'd say that the central, defining characteristic of American politics in general is hatred for and distrust of government.
Old Apr 9th 2008, 7:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Hiro11
I'd say that the central, defining characteristic of American politics in general is hatred for and distrust of government.
It doesn't seem that way to me, as an outsider. Far less criticism than back home.
Old Apr 9th 2008, 7:50 am
Homebody

Originally Posted by Hiro11
hatred and distrust of government bureaucracy........... paying taxes............. interference in 'private' matters...

far more likely to swallow the codswallop that is dished up by Bush & Co.............. not to mention Faux News...

How long would Bill O'Reilly or Glenn Beck last on any European network?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.