Christian America?

Old Apr 9th 2008, 4:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Christian America?

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
Are being rich and Christian mutally exclusive?
If you take the Christian bit to the extreme, like some do, yes it is. I fail to see how they can stand there in their multimillion dollar mansions, preaching to everyone about how they should run their lives, yet having amassed such personal wealth and not sharing a bean; being cut throat in their business tactics, and evading taxes. Hypocritical.

In moderation (on both the religion and wealth front), no its not mutually exclusive.
Old Apr 9th 2008, 4:33 am
gurt mint nit?

Xebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond repute

Are being rich and Christian mutally exclusive?
You find a needle, I'll go get a camel.
It might get a bit messy tho.
Old Apr 9th 2008, 4:35 am
Militant Ginger

Roland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
Luckily, he that walketh with wise men shall be wise: but a companion of fools shall be destroyed...
Obi Wan Kenobi said is more succinctly. "Who's the more foolish? The fool, or the fool that follows him?"
Old Apr 9th 2008, 4:41 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure exactly what a fundamentalist is but as a Christian, I would differentiate between Christian Value and Christian Theology. When broken down and the deity taken from the commandments, you are talking about human rights and values.

I believe I mentioned before that one of my college classes taught that the founding fathers were all Masons and that the US has it beginning firmly entrenched in Masonic principles and this is evidenced by the many Masonic symbols used in our currency and in the architectural on the Capitol.
Old Apr 9th 2008, 4:51 am
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

I guess I just don't see the threat. Fundamentalists have their beliefs, I have mine. As long as no one tries to force me to practice their religion (And I see no evidence of that), why should I let what other people believe bother me?
Old Apr 9th 2008, 4:54 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

I guess I just don't see the threat. Fundamentalists have their beliefs, I have mine. As long as no one tries to force me to practice their religion (And I see no evidence of that), why should I let what other people believe bother me?
What about those Baptists and their polygamy practices and child abuse? It's because people just stood by and 'let them practise their religion' that they got away with it for so long.

401 children having their lives destroyed - and this is just the tip of a very nasty iceberg.
Old Apr 9th 2008, 5:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

What about those Baptists and their polygamy practices and child abuse? It's because people just stood by and 'let them practise their religion' that they got away with it for so long.

401 children having their lives destroyed - and this is just the tip of a very nasty iceberg.
I honestly can't understand how these sort of sects have gotten away with it for so long, and continue to do so. I think a major purge needs to happen to wipe this sort of thing out. They basically equate to nothing more than criminal gangs, in my eyes. In fact, I've got more respect for gangs - their members are generally under no illusions that they are the wrong side of the law, unlike these righteous pricks preying on innocents.
Old Apr 9th 2008, 5:09 am
Militant Ginger

Roland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
I would differentiate between Christian Value and Christian Theology. When broken down and the deity taken from the commandments, you are talking about human rights and values.
That's one of the smartest things I've ever read!
Old Apr 9th 2008, 5:14 am
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Well, I meant legally practice, I should have been more specific. I certainly don't condone any sort of child abuse or other illegal activity. I'm pretty sure that group wasn't what you'd call mainstream Baptist, closer to a cult than a legitimate church. Most Baptists are probably as horrified as the rest of us over the actions of that group.
Old Apr 9th 2008, 5:21 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Well, I meant legally practice, I should have been more specific. I certainly don't condone any sort of child abuse or other illegal activity. I'm pretty sure that group wasn't what you'd call mainstream Baptist, closer to a cult than a legitimate church. Most Baptists are probably as horrified as the rest of us over the actions of that group.
Yes, but my point is that the churches and religion, albeit unwillingly, provide cover for these sects. It's only when the abuse becomes blatant and/or if someone speaks out, that notice is taken.

Also, there is a lot of child neglect operating under the guise of 'Homeschooling'. Whilst it is perfectly possible to educate children adequately at home, a lot of Christians are merely indoctrinating their kids, preventing them from acquiring real knowledge, and segregating them from social contact with non-Christians.
Old Apr 9th 2008, 5:32 am
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

What about those Baptists and their polygamy practices and child abuse?
Baptists?
Old Apr 9th 2008, 5:34 am
Account Closed

Optimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hiro11
Baptists?
Its the English word for Jahovah's apparently.
Old Apr 9th 2008, 5:34 am
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

Also, there is a lot of child neglect operating under the guise of 'Homeschooling'. Whilst it is perfectly possible to educate children adequately at home, a lot of Christians are merely indoctrinating their kids, preventing them from acquiring real knowledge, and segregating them from social contact with non-Christians.
I agree in principle with what you're saying but labling home schooling as child abuse is taking it a bit too far. What if someone disagreed with what you teach your children, would you accept them labling it as "abuse"?
Old Apr 9th 2008, 5:39 am
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: Christian America?

Originally Posted by Dan725
If you take the Christian bit to the extreme, like some do, yes it is. I fail to see how they can stand there in their multimillion dollar mansions, preaching to everyone about how they should run their lives, yet having amassed such personal wealth and not sharing a bean; being cut throat in their business tactics, and evading taxes. Hypocritical.

In moderation (on both the religion and wealth front), no its not mutually exclusive.
Bit like the head of the C of E living in Buckingham Palace. The shame of it!
Old Apr 9th 2008, 5:41 am
Militant Ginger

Here here! Or is it Hear Hear?

Either way, I agree 100%. I remember starting a thread about this. It's shocking.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.