Wikiposts

Christian America?

Old Apr 9th 2008, 8:15 am
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Christian America?

Originally Posted by RoadWarriorFromLP
Just a few examples:

-Stem cell research
-Anti-abortion laws
-Prayer in schools
-Creationism in schools (now New and Improved with Pseudo Scientific Jargon!)
-Blue laws
-Anti-gay rights (although I am straight and even a tad homophobic myself, I take offense to any group that tries to stomp on the rights of others)

The root problem here is the same problem you find with militant Islam -- an unapologetic, unrestrained brand of ethical monotheism.

The true believers are committed to proselytizing and propagating their faith, as the Bible instructs them to, so they have no qualms about shoving their belief systems down our throats.

Because they believe in the One True God, the rest of us are just wrong and need to be fixed. Being absolutely right, in the face of the rest of us who are wrong, gives them license to use all the wrenches and screwdrivers they like, with no concern for the rest of us.

I'd no sooner want these sanctimonious bastards having dominion over me as I would want sharia law in my neighborhood. It would be nice if we could deport them to Atlantis and be done with it, let them get their own snorkels.
Blue Laws How the HELL did I forgot about that?!?!? :curse:
Old Apr 9th 2008, 8:17 am
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Just a few examples:

-Stem cell research
-Anti-abortion laws
-Prayer in schools
-Blue laws
-Anti-gay rights (although I am straight and even a tad homophobic myself, I take offense to any group that tries to stomp on the rights of others)

The root problem here is the same problem you find with militant Islam -- an unapologetic, unrestrained brand of ethical monotheism.

The true believers are committed to proselytizing and propagating their faith, as the Bible instructs them to, so they have no qualms about shoving their belief systems down our throats.

Because they believe in the One True God, the rest of us are just wrong and need to be fixed. Being absolutely right, in the face of the rest of us who are wrong, gives them license to use all the wrenches and screwdrivers they like, with no concern for the rest of us.

I'd no sooner want these sanctimonious bastards having dominion over me as I would want sharia law in my neighborhood. It would be nice if we could deport them to Atlantis and be done with it, let them get their own snorkels.
Excellent post, btw
Old Apr 9th 2008, 8:23 am
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

Right now, we have an elected President who happens to be a born-again Christian. That's happened before (most recently with Carter) with decidedly different results. As this demonstrates, you can't simply conflate Bush's particular beliefs and political/moral stances with all Christianity. It's not that simple. Bush believes what he believes, let's not lump all Christians in with him.

Also, pointing out that the President is a born-again and acts in accordance with his particualr moral beliefs is very different than making a blanket statement that the US government is being run in accordance with Christian doctrine. The secular rule of law is still in force, democratic principles are still in force, etc. Comparing America under Bush to a theocracy is just silly.
Old Apr 9th 2008, 8:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Just a few examples:

-Stem cell research
-Anti-abortion laws
-Prayer in schools
-Blue laws

Agree 100%.
Old Apr 9th 2008, 8:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie66
I'm crying here ..... I hope some Baptists are reading this thread.
My wife is a Baptist. We were married in a Baptist church. Is that close enough?
Old Apr 9th 2008, 8:39 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Me too .... that's why I'm laughing.
Would that be hysterical laughter...
Old Apr 9th 2008, 8:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hiro11
Right now, we have an elected President who happens to be a born-again Christian. That's happened before (most recently with Carter) with decidedly different results. As this demonstrates, you can't simply conflate Bush's particular beliefs and political/moral stances with all Christianity. It's not that simple. Bush believes what he believes, let's not lump all Christians in with him.

Also, pointing out that the President is a born-again and acts in accordance with his particualr moral beliefs is very different than making a blanket statement that the US government is being run in accordance with Christian doctrine. The secular rule of law is still in force, democratic principles are still in force, etc. Comparing America under Bush to a theocracy is just silly.
Excellent post.
Old Apr 9th 2008, 8:41 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bill_S
Who cares? Millions of Americans can't stand those guys either... plenty of stuff on TV I don't like, so I don't watch it.
But millions upon millions of Americans DO swallow it.

And that is flucking scary...

Aactually, I'm not sure what is scarier - them, or people like you who say what's it got to do with me.

Old Apr 9th 2008, 8:46 am
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

My wife is a Baptist. We were married in a Baptist church.
is your wife first or second baptist? i ask you this hoping you can answer a question for me....

in our close we have two neighbours, one is a judge who's second baptist and the other is a lawyer who's first baptist and they despise each other...they think i know what the difference is between second and first but i'm with the Woolwich and haven't a clue
Old Apr 9th 2008, 8:46 am
WTF?

Originally Posted by Elvira
Would that be hysterical laughter...
Actually it is ..... there are some Baptists that make Jeffs look progressive.

It's actually a great Texas pasttime for all non-Baptists to make fun of the Baptists. However the Baptists outnumber the rest of us now.

Last edited by Leslie; Apr 9th 2008 at 9:46 am.
Old Apr 9th 2008, 8:47 am
WTF?

My wife is a Baptist. We were married in a Baptist church. Is that close enough?
Only if you are offended.
Old Apr 9th 2008, 8:48 am
WTF?

Originally Posted by TruBrit
is your wife first or second baptist? i ask you this hoping you can answer a question for me....

in our close we have two neighbours, one is a judge who's second baptist and the other is a lawyer who's first baptist and they despise each other...they think i know what the difference is between second and first but i'm with the Woolwich and haven't a clue
Baptists tend to fight among themselves about who is the better Baptist. ****ing hilarious.
Old Apr 9th 2008, 8:50 am
Homebody

Baptists tend to fight among themselves about who is the better Baptist. ****ing hilarious.
Let's hope they end up tearing each other to pieces before they get to rule the country...
Old Apr 9th 2008, 8:52 am
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
But millions upon millions of Americans DO swallow it.

And that is flucking scary...[/I]
Millions of French people believe that the CIA caused 9/11 (so do millions of Americans).

Millions of Japanese people believe that Japan was only trying to help China and Korea when it invaded during WW2.

Millions of people all over the world swallow everything al-Jezeera says unquestioning.

Millions of Brits believe that warm beer and a gristle sandwich taste good ( ).

People believe all kinds of things, let's not single out poor, deluded Glenn Beck/ Michael Savage fans.
Old Apr 9th 2008, 8:53 am
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

oh they have in the past, it has kept me amused

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.