Christian America?

Old Apr 9th 2008, 2:55 am
Militant Ginger

Roland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond repute
Default Christian America?

I recently blogged about something dear to my heart - how much it pisses me off when some dumb fundementalist lectures me that 'America was founded on Christian values.'

Because it wasn't.

Some of the most important founding fathers were virtual athiests, the Declaration of Independence referred to Law of Nature and Nature's God - secular, if ever I saw it - and the bill of rights isn't 'Christian' in values because it was practically copied word for word by the French when they had their athiest revolution a few years later.

Most importantly, ALL the founding fathers sign the Treaty of Tripoli which states, without any beating around the bush: "The government of the United States of America is not in any sense founded on the Christian Religion."

Can't these fundementalists just cut the crap for FIVE minutes and open a bloody history book?
Old Apr 9th 2008, 3:11 am
Account Closed

Optimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Christian America?

Originally Posted by Roland Hulme
I recently blogged about something dear to my heart - how much it pisses me off when some dumb fundementalist lectures me that 'America was founded on Christian values.'

Because it wasn't.

Some of the most important founding fathers were virtual athiests, the Declaration of Independence referred to Law of Nature and Nature's God - secular, if ever I saw it - and the bill of rights isn't 'Christian' in values because it was practically copied word for word by the French when they had their athiest revolution a few years later.

Most importantly, ALL the founding fathers sign the Treaty of Tripoli which states, without any beating around the bush: "The government of the United States of America is not in any sense founded on the Christian Religion."

Can't these fundementalists just cut the crap for FIVE minutes and open a bloody history book?
Why would they....they wrote them.
Old Apr 9th 2008, 3:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

Bless you Roland (err.. pardon the expression!), but why do you let these things bother you? What do you care what a few loonies think? Nothing you say or do can change their minds.
Old Apr 9th 2008, 3:14 am
Account Closed

Optimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bill_S
Bless you Roland (err.. pardon the expression!), but why do you let these things bother you? What do you care what a few loonies think? Nothing you say or do can change their minds.
A few loonies?????????
Old Apr 9th 2008, 3:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

You should see some of the stuff on another board that I post on. They have a section for political and religious threads and it boggles my mind sometimes. Like the threads "Why I hate Islam" ("they are human garbage" apparently) and "Is God a republican" (they weren't too sure about God but a number were certain the devil is a democrat). Sometimes I get very scared about some of the posts.
Old Apr 9th 2008, 3:48 am
now I know my J,C,B's

Paul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
"Is God a republican"
Well if Anne Coulter thinks he is, then he is

and she/he/it is never wrong (apparently)
Old Apr 9th 2008, 3:50 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bill_S
Never used to bother me.....until they were running the country. Now it's personal.
Old Apr 9th 2008, 4:15 am
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Never used to bother me.....until they were running the country. Now it's personal.
Could you give an example of an instance where the Christians running the country have done something of a religious nature that affected you personally? I'm not trying to argue, I just don't see it where I am. If anything it appears that many Christian holidays and symbols have been purged where they had once been allowed, so I'm curious.
Old Apr 9th 2008, 4:17 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
Could you give an example of an instance where the Christians running the country have done something of a religious nature that affected you personally? I'm not trying to argue, I just don't see it where I am. If anything it appears that many Christian holidays and symbols have been purged where they had once been allowed, so I'm curious.
What does it matter whether it affects someone personally or not?

No man is an island and all that...
Old Apr 9th 2008, 4:17 am
gurt mint nit?

Xebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond repute

Surely America was started as a financial venture. It has continued as such for nigh on 400 years now (with occasional social detours) and pretty much exists today as the world's biggest corporation.
Look at all the religous zealots here who embrace the Dollar along with their faith/religion. It seems its perfectly ok to have a boat/big house/3 cars and portfolio and still profess to be a Christian.
Speaks volumes really.
Old Apr 9th 2008, 4:19 am
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
What does it matter whether it affects someone personally or not?

I was just asking because Fatbrit said it was personal, and I wondered how.
Old Apr 9th 2008, 4:21 am
Unmitigated Gall

Originally Posted by Xebedee
Surely America was started as a financial venture. It has continued as such for nigh on 400 years now (with occasional social detours) and pretty much exists today as the world's biggest corporation.
Look at all the religous zealots here who embrace the Dollar along with their faith/religion. It seems its perfectly ok to have a boat/big house/3 cars and portfolio and still profess to be a Christian.
Speaks volumes really.
Are being rich and Christian mutally exclusive?
Old Apr 9th 2008, 4:22 am
Militant Ginger

Roland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Now it's personal.
Wow! Sounds like we finally have solidarity about something!
Old Apr 9th 2008, 4:25 am
Militant Ginger

Originally Posted by Elvira
No, but if you tie several together, apparently they make quite a servicable raft...
Old Apr 9th 2008, 4:26 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Wow! Sounds like we finally have solidarity about something!
Luckily, he that walketh with wise men shall be wise: but a companion of fools shall be destroyed...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.