Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Charlie Hebdo shooting in France

Charlie Hebdo shooting in France

Old Jan 12th 2015, 8:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Anian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Charlie Hebdo shooting in France

Originally Posted by Mrs Danvers
The news reports I have read say the victims were of different faiths. Mainly women, children and the elderly.
The initial estimate of 2000 has been reduced down to 150 now. What the real figure is remains unclear, but it is now the top story on the BBC news website for the African region.
Old Jan 12th 2015, 10:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Oh I see. He tells the lie on Fox News and then retracts the lie on Twitter where the over 65's audience that watch Fox News will never see it.
And Fox "News" will continue to hire him as a terrorism "expert"...
Old Jan 12th 2015, 10:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond repute

At least it made David Cameron choke on his porridge. How very British of him.

Fox News man is 'idiot' for Birmingham Muslim comments – David Cameron | Media | The Guardian
Old Jan 12th 2015, 10:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Anian
The initial estimate of 2000 has been reduced down to 150 now. What the real figure is remains unclear, but it is now the top story on the BBC news website for the African region.
Thanks. It seems difficult to get clear information from the area.
Old Jan 12th 2015, 10:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

At least it made David Cameron choke on his porridge. How very British of him.

Fox News man is 'idiot' for Birmingham Muslim comments – David Cameron | Media | The Guardian
I'm in tears reading the tweets.

#ProudToBeBritish
Old Jan 12th 2015, 10:42 pm
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
I am not disagreeing with the 'fact' you are stating - the Catholic church does have a centralized hierarchy - we both understand the basics. What I'm saying, and I am sure you understand, is that - just because a central hierarchy exists does not mean that adherents follow it.
You're still not following this. The Catholic Church can decide to revoke ones Catholicism if it chooses. It's a centralized religion that has the authority to decide who belongs and who doesn't.

Islam isn't like that. There is no centralized body that can revoke ones Muslim faith as can the Catholics.

The Islamic situation is analogous to the various Protestant faiths. If Terry Jones, the koran-burning pastor in Florida, wants to be a jerk, then there is nothing that other Protestants can do about it. They can gripe about him or remove him from affiliations from specific organizations, but they can't revoke his Christianity. He calls himself a Christian and he has a (small) congregation that chooses to follow him, and that's ultimately their business -- unlike a Catholic, he's a free agent.

So the Ayatollah Khomeini in Iran was just another guy who studied the Koran then?
You're confusing the government of Iran with the Islamic faith as a whole.

There are many ayatollahs throughout the world. There happens to have been a couple of them who have also been the head of Iran. That isn't specific to Islam, that's specific to Iran.
Old Jan 13th 2015, 12:13 am
BE Forum Addict

retzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond repute

You say you can see the option but it does not let you 'tick the box' - it's not a selection box that can be ticked; it is a button, and clicking it (should) take you to a new page.
Ohhhhh, OnwardandUpward must be looking at the Quick Reply at the bottom of the screen, which has a "Quote message in reply?" check box.

O&U: Look in the bottom right corner of the post you wish to quote for the quote button. To its right is the very useful multi-quote button: highlight it on all the posts you wish to quote, then hit the New Reply button to the bottom left of the last post (above the Quick Reply box you have been using) when you're ready to compose
Old Jan 13th 2015, 12:28 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Anian
does seem nobody has much of a clue which is initself decidedly odd.
Old Jan 13th 2015, 3:57 am
Forum Regular

OnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond reputeOnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond reputeOnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond reputeOnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond reputeOnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond reputeOnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond reputeOnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond reputeOnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond reputeOnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond reputeOnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond reputeOnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie
What difference does it make?
I got my son to undo some of the stuff...not that I think it makes any difference as to the person posting- rather than the content of the post. I'm no witch-hunter/ troll-hunter...

@ Leslie. If you have never emigrated in or out of the USA, I am unsure what you have to contribute? Not saying you have nothing to contribute, just wondering why you feel you have a perspective on something if you haven't experienced it?

And why you post here on an expats site if indeed you're not an expat???
Old Jan 13th 2015, 4:05 am
Forum Regular

OnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond reputeOnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond reputeOnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond reputeOnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond reputeOnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond reputeOnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond reputeOnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond reputeOnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond reputeOnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond reputeOnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond reputeOnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond repute

Trust me when I tell you it will help you to figure this out.

I posted an actual screenshot showing what the 'quote' button looks like, and where it is on the screen. Did you not see it? Were you not able to open that picture? (If you had quoted my original message we could both simply click on the link provided and it would take us to that original message - one of the many benefits of using the 'quote' tool).

You say you can see the option but it does not let you 'tick the box' - it's not a selection box that can be ticked; it is a button, and clicking it (should) take you to a new page. If you have turned on some very aggressive ad blocking feature, you may be losing functionality on not only this but other websites. If you are using Chrome, then why not try, just as a test, using Firefox or Internet Explorer. If it works in one of those, you will then realize the issue is related to something you have done in Chrome.
oh it really works now! Thanks.

I'm not a computer expert or even in many ways computer literate.

It shouldn't matter though.
Words can be discussed without knowing who said them- in fact for some of the strangest things online, probably best without an id.

I think my son is trying to protect me on the internet...do I need protecting???
Old Jan 13th 2015, 10:23 am
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OnwardandUpward
I got my son to undo some of the stuff...not that I think it makes any difference as to the person posting- rather than the content of the post. I'm no witch-hunter/ troll-hunter...

@ Leslie. If you have never emigrated in or out of the USA, I am unsure what you have to contribute? Not saying you have nothing to contribute, just wondering why you feel you have a perspective on something if you haven't experienced it?

And why you post here on an expats site if indeed you're not an expat???
Yeah, I knew this was where you were going.... it was painfully obvious. People who can't debate with any level of enlightenment will attempt to "other" the opposition. I doubt that anybody on this thread has been killed by a Muslim Jihadist while working for a satirical newspaper in Paris ... so I guess everybody should just stop posting.... what could they possibly have to contribute?

I've been contributing to this thread, whether you like it or not, you can read my posts and decide for yourself the level of my worthiness.

If you don't think I should be permitted to post here then take it up with the moderators. They can ban me if my presence is inappropriate.

As I said before, I'm not going to get sucked into your game. I really shouldn't have dignified this post with a reply.

Just one question for you though --- WWJD?

Last edited by Leslie; Jan 13th 2015 at 11:41 am.
Old Jan 13th 2015, 11:19 am

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OnwardandUpward

Leslie. If you have never emigrated in or out of the USA, I am unsure what you have to contribute?
Seriously?
Old Jan 13th 2015, 11:20 am

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

permitted to post
You'll be wanting to be allowed to drive a car next.

Old Jan 13th 2015, 11:41 am
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutek
You'll be wanting to be allowed to drive a car next.

I have nothing to contribute. I'm not welcome here and I smell of poo.
Old Jan 13th 2015, 11:57 am

I have nothing to contribute. I'm not welcome here and I smell of poo.
We should make you wear a bell.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.