Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Charlie Hebdo shooting in France

Charlie Hebdo shooting in France

Old Jan 11th 2015, 9:05 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Charlie Hebdo shooting in France

Originally Posted by OnwardandUpward
Jesus in my religion told his followers ( if you believe the Bible- ) love God above all things
That there is the problem with the lot of them.
Old Jan 11th 2015, 9:11 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
Cheers Hotscot, my new best pal!!
Lots of french people were there (200 or so), lots of kissing Bonne Annee and passing bugs around...
The jewish community were well representated but when I asked about the muslim community I was told they were hanging back, not sure whether to show their faces. In fact, I didn't see any muslims. Everyone very shocked at the attack on "liberte" something the french people are very proud of - everybody having the same right of freedom of expression "How dare these people attack the heart of france like that"

Outside the City hall ,we did the minute silence then a couple of people talked a bit about how we must all stand together against this terror..and were obviously upset.
Then the Jewish leader talked about unity as well but didn't mention muslims. Then we sang the marseillaise ( I didn't and neither did my friend, we don't agree with the words) and afterwards the Jewish leader got almost everyone singing Shalom, shalom. Which I thought was a step too far considering the muslims weren't getting a look in.

Very few non-french,non jewish people there -although loads of people beeped horns to show support - which I thought was a shame.

What surprised me though was the almost unanimous agreement about closing the French/EU borders more tightly and using the PNR for flights. When I asked the french journalist present if anyone thought that the reason young muslim kids become jihadists might be due to the way Muslims are treated in France, she actually just walked away from me!! France is very proud of the "egalite" (equality) it serves up, but let's just say some people get more equality than others
Thanks for the account.

I can appreciate your last paragraph. It's a lot like when 9-11 happened and Bill Maher was basically run out of town for suggesting that America had behaved in a cowardly manner and perhaps brought some of this on themselves. Interesting because now he's the biggest Muslim basher on American TV. Anyway, I think it's difficult for people to admit that they may have done anything wrong under the best of circumstances ... almost impossible when they're hurting.
Old Jan 11th 2015, 9:47 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Leslie
Thanks for the account.

I can appreciate your last paragraph. It's a lot like when 9-11 happened and Bill Maher was basically run out of town for suggesting that America had behaved in a cowardly manner and perhaps brought some of this on themselves. Interesting because now he's the biggest Muslim basher on American TV. Anyway, I think it's difficult for people to admit that they may have done anything wrong under the best of circumstances ... almost impossible when they're hurting.
Blasphemy commited by the cartoonist's?
Old Jan 11th 2015, 9:48 pm
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
Calm down as in you said I'm "trying to oppress you"?
Drop the adjectives and verbs, and come out with your hands up!
Old Jan 11th 2015, 9:55 pm
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
I agree, the Old Testament is disgraceful in many ways; how anyone can 'revere' such a document is truly beyond me. But I believe one key difference that has to be noted is that there is no 'Christian' religious leader in a position of power / influence in recent times that advocates Old Testament behavior. In contrast, the Ayatollah in Iran - the supreme head of the religious order there
Catholicism is a centralized faith. But Judaism, most of the Protestant Christians and Islam are not.

Perhaps this is one of the problems here: There is this insistent and inaccurate belief that Islam is some kind of top-down religion where everyone is part of the same clique. But they aren't. Depicting Muslims as some broad coherent club of 1.7 billion believers may be emotionally satisfying, but it is factually deficient.
Old Jan 11th 2015, 9:55 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Blasphemy commited by the cartoonist's?
Even if it was blasphemy (not sure that definition fits) that's okay by me.

I don't think she was talking about the cartoonists anyway.
Old Jan 11th 2015, 9:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

Seriously, how does Fox News even get a license to broadcast!!!!!

Old Jan 11th 2015, 9:59 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

OMG . I can't believe I just heard that.

Wait 'til I show MrBEVS .
Old Jan 11th 2015, 10:01 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by markonline1

Fox News suggests Birmingham, UK is a place non Muslims 'do - YouTube
Unbe****inglievable! I'm in the UK right now and that's just focking bullocks.
Old Jan 11th 2015, 10:04 pm
Bloody Yank

I recall being attacked by a balti when I was in Birmingham.
Old Jan 11th 2015, 10:04 pm
WTF?

The look on her face.
Old Jan 11th 2015, 10:05 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

I think he is using the word "actually " as a euphemism for "not really"
Old Jan 11th 2015, 10:19 pm
WTF?

Originally Posted by tonrob
Unbe****inglievable! I'm in the UK right now and that's just focking bullocks.
Yeah but bacon is illegal there right?
Old Jan 11th 2015, 10:50 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

This is why Fox news watchers know less news than those that dont watch any news.
Old Jan 11th 2015, 10:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
This is why Fox news watchers know less news than those that dont watch any news.

Rather accurate...

But what's scary is that many people get their 'news' there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.