Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Charlie Hebdo shooting in France

Charlie Hebdo shooting in France

Old Jan 12th 2015, 3:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Charlie Hebdo shooting in France

Originally Posted by Boiler
The Guardian has a piece about the coverage of the massacre in Nigeria which has received hardly any coverage but seemingly involved the deaths of 2000.

Quite interesting, I know in my gut why, but writing it down is another matter.
Yes I've been following that issue. It's devastating, don't know why it's not on front pages everywhere.
Old Jan 12th 2015, 4:00 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Or anywhere.

Guardian had it buried.

Seemingly a non story in Africa as well.
Old Jan 12th 2015, 4:02 pm
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hotscot
Yes I've been following that issue. It's devastating, don't know why it's not on front pages everywhere.
Je ne suis pas un musulman. #WhiteLivesMatter
Old Jan 12th 2015, 4:33 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Or anywhere.

Guardian had it buried.

Seemingly a non story in Africa as well.
Their president was at the Paris demonstration.
Old Jan 12th 2015, 4:36 pm
Account Closed

For what it is worth he has said nothing, done nothing according to the Guardian about his own one.

Probably shopping if in Paris.
Old Jan 12th 2015, 4:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RoadWarriorFromLP
There's no one in Islam who is the equivalent of the pope in the Catholic Church. An imam studies Islam, leads prayers and hopes to get enough community support to get a gig at a mosque.

Most faiths are decentralized, and Islam is no exception. Catholicism is a notable exception -- the pope is effectively the king of all Catholics, one who has divine authority and gets to make the rules; defy the pope, and you could (theoretically) be excommunicated.

An imam is more like a teacher, one who may have a few or many followers. They don't necessarily all see eye-to-eye on everything.
Most Catholics I know ignore the Pope, especially on matters such as birth control; I don't think you need to make an exception for Catholics in this discussion.

The lack of direct, official, central control in most mainstream religions is not a reason to discount influence from leaders in those religions. People (especially religious people) seek out direction and will generally hear what they want to hear.

But we've done this to death at this point; you want to believe that all bad actions are not related to religion, I believe a significant minority are influenced by the religious hierarchy, and the Muslim religious hierarchy is much worse in this regard than (eg) Christian alternatives at this point in history

I'm heartened to hear that all Muslim leaders, even those in SA and Iran, have condemned these attacks.

Last edited by Steerpike; Jan 12th 2015 at 4:47 pm.
Old Jan 12th 2015, 4:49 pm
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
Most Catholics I know ignore the Pope, especially on matters such as birth control; I don't think you need to make an exception for Catholics in this discussion.
I didn't make the exception, the Catholic Church did. Catholicism is a centralized faith, whereas most of the other major faiths are not. I'm not offering an opinion, I'm stating a fact.

The lack of direct, official, central control in most mainstream religions is not a reason to discount influence from leaders in those religions.
The individual imam adopt a common brand (Islam) and do whatever they're going to do with it. Some will have more acceptance than others. There's no head honcho to whom everyone listens.

I believe a significant minority are influenced by the religious hierarchy
There is no real hierarchy of this sort in Islam. Pretty much any dude who studies the Koran and gets some followers can be an imam. It's certainly nothing like being a pope, who is selected by top members of the Catholic Church.
Old Jan 12th 2015, 4:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OnwardandUpward

@Steerpike,
thanks, my son has been setting up my computer, it's great now with Google Chrome ad-blocking- could that mean I don't see things like 'quote'?
I can see the option it just does not let me tick the box.

Not that I think it matters who said it, it's response to the actually content which is useful?
Trust me when I tell you it will help you to figure this out.

I posted an actual screenshot showing what the 'quote' button looks like, and where it is on the screen. Did you not see it? Were you not able to open that picture? (If you had quoted my original message we could both simply click on the link provided and it would take us to that original message - one of the many benefits of using the 'quote' tool).

You say you can see the option but it does not let you 'tick the box' - it's not a selection box that can be ticked; it is a button, and clicking it (should) take you to a new page. If you have turned on some very aggressive ad blocking feature, you may be losing functionality on not only this but other websites. If you are using Chrome, then why not try, just as a test, using Firefox or Internet Explorer. If it works in one of those, you will then realize the issue is related to something you have done in Chrome.
Old Jan 12th 2015, 4:59 pm
Account Closed

Chrome not the issue. All I use.
Old Jan 12th 2015, 5:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond repute

The Guardian has a piece about the coverage of the massacre in Nigeria which has received hardly any coverage but seemingly involved the deaths of 2000.

Quite interesting, I know in my gut why, but writing it down is another matter.
Reporting of African deaths is often under reported or ignored. I remember reading something about equivalency in disasters resulting in deaths in US reporting. Something like one American killed was given the same importance as 10 Europeans and with Asian or African deaths the numbers had to be far higher.

Or do you think it's because Boko Haram are Islamic militants?
Old Jan 12th 2015, 5:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I didn't make the exception, the Catholic Church did. Catholicism is a centralized faith, whereas most of the other major faiths are not. I'm not offering an opinion, I'm stating a fact.
I am not disagreeing with the 'fact' you are stating - the Catholic church does have a centralized hierarchy - we both understand the basics. What I'm saying, and I am sure you understand, is that - just because a central hierarchy exists does not mean that adherents follow it. The Catholic hierarchy has, at times, banned sex before marriage, abortion, contraception, meat on fridays, homosexuality, and more (My mother was catholic and my g/f is 'culturally' a Catholic, having been raised in the Philippines). I know plenty of Catholics who consider themselves 'practicing' (go to church on Sunday, take the sacrament, etc) but ignore all the above 'rules'. So yes, there IS an official, centralized hierarchy but it is practically ignored by a large number of 'members'. People hear what they want to hear.

The individual imam adopt a common brand (Islam) and do whatever they're going to do with it. Some will have more acceptance than others. There's no head honcho to whom everyone listens.

There is no real hierarchy of this sort in Islam. Pretty much any dude who studies the Koran and gets some followers can be an imam. It's certainly nothing like being a pope, who is selected by top members of the Catholic Church.
So the Ayatollah Khomeini in Iran was just another guy who studied the Koran then? He was the "Supreme Leader" of Iran and his pronouncements were listened to by millions. He was extremely influential and effective; more so than any modern-day Pope.

A quick extract from the Wikipedia article on the man: "During Iran–Iraq War, Khomeini organized his "human wave" attacks - mass frontal assaults by thousands of young men, advancing up to certain death.

He was named Man of the Year in 1979 by American newsmagazine TIME for his international influence, and has been described as the "virtual face of Islam in Western popular culture" where he remains a controversial figure. He was known for his support of the hostage takers during the Iran hostage crisis ... "

Edit to add: from this historic link from 1989 ... "The Iranian president, Ali Khamenei, was quickly chosen today as his country's supreme religious leader to replace Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini, who died Saturday night. ... The swift action by the 83-member assembly of theological experts in naming Ayatollah Khomeini's successor was clearly meant as a signal by the clergy that it was in control and able to arrange an orderly transition. "

I mention this in response to your statement: "It's certainly nothing like being a pope, who is selected by top members of the Catholic Church". My overriding point, which I think you are trying to dilute by focusing on technicalities, is that Islam does have a 'leadership' that is influential to adherents. Just as with the Catholic Pope, adherents can and do choose to follow or not follow this leadership. The 'official' status of the leadership does not factor in to the discussion.

Last edited by Steerpike; Jan 12th 2015 at 5:23 pm.
Old Jan 12th 2015, 5:15 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mrs Danvers
Reporting of African deaths is often under reported or ignored. I remember reading something about equivalency in disasters resulting in deaths in US reporting. Something like one American killed was given the same importance as 10 Europeans and with Asian or African deaths the numbers had to be far higher.

Or do you think it's because Boko Haram are Islamic militants?
Or their victims are mostly black Muslims?

(I have no proof the victims were Muslim tbh --- somebody fact-check me, quick.)
Old Jan 12th 2015, 5:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond repute

The news reports I have read say the victims were of different faiths. Mainly women, children and the elderly.
Old Jan 12th 2015, 5:31 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Trust me when I tell you it will help you to figure this out.

I posted an actual screenshot showing what the 'quote' button looks like, and where it is on the screen. Did you not see it? Were you not able to open that picture? (If you had quoted my original message we could both simply click on the link provided and it would take us to that original message - one of the many benefits of using the 'quote' tool).

You say you can see the option but it does not let you 'tick the box' - it's not a selection box that can be ticked; it is a button, and clicking it (should) take you to a new page. If you have turned on some very aggressive ad blocking feature, you may be losing functionality on not only this but other websites. If you are using Chrome, then why not try, just as a test, using Firefox or Internet Explorer. If it works in one of those, you will then realize the issue is related to something you have done in Chrome.
Stop being so oppressive.
Old Jan 12th 2015, 7:13 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

So...Boumeddiene is now in Syria. Good luck to her there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.