2016 Election

Old Aug 3rd 2016, 4:46 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2016 Election

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I agree with what many of the people on this thread have said...Trump is looking for a way out.

Trump can't lose ... he can only be cheated out of a win
Old Aug 3rd 2016, 4:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
Possibly. I'm also getting the feeling that the powers that be (including the U.S. government, the Republican Party, the military etc.) will not permit this election to go ahead with Trump in place. By hook or by crook, Trump will be derailed before Election Day.
I think he'll stay in. The Dems certainly want him in because down ticket is looking better every day. If he drops out he's a quitter. Beaten by a woman he can just spout conspiracy theories from his penthouse about how it was rigged.
Old Aug 3rd 2016, 5:09 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I agree with what many of the people on this thread have said...Trump is looking for a way out.
Other people think this too

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/amp.ibti...?client=safari
Old Aug 3rd 2016, 5:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amideislas
It does appear his campaign is finally imploding.

However, he's not exactly the mentally stable type who could accept defeat with grace and humility.

What happens, for example, should his team and the republican party abandon him? If he quits or engages in even more rage, or say, does something really insane such as hiring hitmen to snuff his enemies? Or anything which would remove him as a candidate...

Would the GOP prop up another candidate at this late hour? Would the general election even take place? Could Clinton become the only president that won an election without a vote?
Grace and humility certainly not Trump's strong points. Though he has suffered defeats before and bounced back, and his very ego seems to mean he just moves forward.

I don't know if he is just overloaded and maybe needs a few weeks rest. I am not a Clinton or Trump supporter , and much of what Trump says often the media or opponents make it appear different than what he meant. But his response about what he has "sacrificed" makes me wonder whether he has some sort of comprehension problem due to some physical condition.
Old Aug 3rd 2016, 5:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Trump will benefit from all this- he will say system rigged against him, but now has for rest of his life a platform to express himself, plus as he has shown throughout his career any publicity seems to build his "brand".

A very tiresome election and such poor choices now that Sanders has dropped out of the race.

My own thoughts are there will never be a Republican president again, and that Republican party after all this will start fading away. Between tea party conservatives, now a Trump wing, and the inept establishment Republicans, plus changing demographics, the party I believe will gradually fade away in the coming twenty years.
Old Aug 3rd 2016, 5:26 pm
Forum Regular

Asg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond repute

I just checked the bookmakers' odds on Trump winning, and it's gone from 7/4 when I last checked it 4 days ago to 13/5 today, which means that 4 days ago you would've got 75% back on your money, today you'd get 160%, so he's that much less likely to win now than 4 days ago. I think even today's odds far overstates his chances.
Old Aug 3rd 2016, 5:27 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

This is purely anecdotal and a small sample.

Living in the depths of the boondocks, a goodly proportion of my Facebook friends are are dyed in the wool republicans, snowmobilers, gun toters, tea party types. Oh, evangelical Christians too. Until the Trump convention, they were all gung ho for Trump. Last couple of weeks, no more Trump or politics from them. Just back to babies, dogs and deceased relatives.
Old Aug 3rd 2016, 5:27 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Is Putin grandmaster of chaos in our fractured age?

The hacking – and leaking – of embarrassing emails from within the Democratic National Committee (DNC) has been blamed, pretty convincingly, on Russia. If so, this should be a shocking moment: a naked attempt by Vladimir Putin's regime to interfere with the electoral process in another country.

It should be shocking. But it very much isn't. Not just because, in the age of Donald Trump, we've all had to deal with a relentless erosion of our capacity for outrage. But because Putin's Russia – the country that shut down a host of foreign-funded NGOs on the pretext that they were attempting to meddle in its domestic politics – has been engaged in a long-standing, remarkably successful and completely unsubtle attempt to do exactly the same thing.

But beyond such visible efforts, Putin has engaged in an extraordinary campaign of promoting and sponsoring political parties across Europe. Earlier this year, the Telegraph reported that US intelligence is investigating Russia's political activities in France, the Netherlands, Hungary, Austria and the Czech Republic. The Kremlin has built ties with Golden Dawn in Greece, loaned millions to Marine Le Pen's Front National via Russian banks, and agreed energy deals from which, according to the then American ambassador in Rome, Silvio Berlusconi benefited "personally and handsomely".

Trump, and Vladimir Putin: A Troika for Our Insane Era

It would almost be heart-warming that one media-obsessed megalomaniac has finally found his equal were it not for the fact that one is now within 6 percentage points of the American presidency and the other is Julian Assange.
Old Aug 3rd 2016, 5:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Anian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by morpeth
My own thoughts are there will never be a Republican president again, and that Republican party after all this will start fading away. Between tea party conservatives, now a Trump wing, and the inept establishment Republicans, plus changing demographics, the party I believe will gradually fade away in the coming twenty years.
They will be back, probably with different values, but still conservative for the most part. Even with a hollowed-out core they are bigger than any of the of the third party alternatives.

Maybe they will come up with a workable alternative to Obamacare, or an economic plan that doesn't just shift cash from the poorest to the richest, and people will rally around them. Steering clear of religion and not shooting themselves in the other foot by saying how corrupt Washington is, they still have a chance.
Old Aug 3rd 2016, 6:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Anian
They will be back, probably with different values, but still conservative for the most part. Even with a hollowed-out core they are bigger than any of the of the third party alternatives.

Maybe they will come up with a workable alternative to Obamacare, or an economic plan that doesn't just shift cash from the poorest to the richest, and people will rally around them. Steering clear of religion and not shooting themselves in the other foot by saying how corrupt Washington is, they still have a chance.
True the party today even if the groups within in it split up larger than current third parties, but demographic and intellectual trends are working against the Republicans.

My own prediction is there will emerge over time a party to the left of the democrats as the republican party declines. The Bush-Obama-Clinton Washington crowd will eventually lose out to a new party but will take some time.
Old Aug 3rd 2016, 11:01 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by morpeth
Grace and humility certainly not Trump's strong points. Though he has suffered defeats before and bounced back, and his very ego seems to mean he just moves forward.

I don't know if he is just overloaded and maybe needs a few weeks rest. I am not a Clinton or Trump supporter , and much of what Trump says often the media or opponents make it appear different than what he meant. But his response about what he has "sacrificed" makes me wonder whether he has some sort of comprehension problem due to some physical condition.
You have mentioned, more than once, how the media makes what Trump says somehow sound bad when that's not what he meant. Do you have any examples of that? My biggest complaint has been that, up until very recently, the media has been letting Trump get away with murder.

What I have seen, repeatedly, is Trump says something odious and horrible and then when he's questioned about it he lies about what he said or what he meant. Then the reporter drops it with no follow-up. If the reporter does follow-up then Trump bullies them and they give up. Trump then goes on a tirade against the reporter that usually lasts for days and weeks.

Last edited by Leslie; Aug 3rd 2016 at 11:04 pm.
Old Aug 4th 2016, 1:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Leslie
You have mentioned, more than once, how the media makes what Trump says somehow sound bad when that's not what he meant. Do you have any examples of that? My biggest complaint has been that, up until very recently, the media has been letting Trump get away with murder.

What I have seen, repeatedly, is Trump says something odious and horrible and then when he's questioned about it he lies about what he said or what he meant. Then the reporter drops it with no follow-up. If the reporter does follow-up then Trump bullies them and they give up. Trump then goes on a tirade against the reporter that usually lasts for days and weeks.
I don't know about media not going after Trump. CNN seems to talk about Trump non stop, and my impression is they go very light on Clinton. I agree about the tirades and bullying, in fact all of his surrogates seem to explain this that it is because he is strong he will always " hit back". Almost seems Trump believes in the theory that even bad publicity is more publicity, or just to distract people.

You asked for an example- take his recent NATO comments. The media got all up in arms but for years even within the foreign policy establishment there have been discussion about whether NATO since the fall of the Soviet Union need to be re-considered, and also for years the NATO members should pull their own weight. So Trump is asked about the US obligations and he responds what about obligations of others ? Surely this approach would be more successful in getting NATO members to pay more, or re-evaluate aspects of NATO than simply giving the Clinton approach is the US will meet its obligations, but by the way Europeans would you be so nice to pay a bit more.

Though I agree he gets a bit of free-ride, the issue arises in the media for a few days, then it seems to go away.

I could go through other examples of how the media in their general partisan support for Clinton seem to create issues about Trump as opposed to focusing - both on Trump and Clinton what their policies are and their merits . ( Though Trump not presenting more specifics makes this hard)

Both Clinton and Trump seem like pathological liars.

Too bad Sanders endorsed Hilary, would have been great if there had been a nationwide write-in campaign. Whatever his merits or faults, I feel that Sanders was a class act, and truthful. And would restore some trust in Washington again.
Old Aug 4th 2016, 2:40 am
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie

He is a perfect candidate then, he can say all sorts of bull about Russia and China and any country then just say "huh not me pal" "I said nowt"
Old Aug 4th 2016, 2:48 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Sounds like he may drop out, hopefully somebody sensible is lined up to replace him.
Old Aug 4th 2016, 2:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Boiler
Sounds like he may drop out, hopefully somebody sensible is lined up to replace him.
Will be interesting after the election, which I think Trump will lose by a landslide in electoral votes, any "tell-all" memoirs from any Trump staffers.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.