Wikiposts

2016 Election

Old Sep 25th 2015, 8:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2016 Election

[QUOTE=sir_eccles;11757903] ...
Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
at anyone who thinks Priuses (no idea on how to correctly pluralize that one) will in any way, shape or form change the world. (I know you were satirizing them, not shooting the messenger here.)

Unless they think that electricity is generated by magic fairies who excrete only pure water and oxygen as waste products.
Remember, Priuses are hybrids, not pure-electric (though they do now offer a plug-in version, but even that one still has a hybrid powertrain), and they work their magic (gas saving) by regenerative braking, which is the closest thing to 'magic' that you can get. The batteries may be toxic, and/or environmentally damaging to produce, but that's about the only criticism you can level against them. My g/f has one and it's simply a decent car to own/drive, with amazing use of space.

On a more general level, while I don't think any current 'efficient' car (be it hybrid or pure electric) may be the answer, I think Toyota deserve credit for actually proving that such technology can be mainstream/reliable. The electric cars of today are spurring research and development that will result in a better product in the future.

My friend in AZ (who is a die-hard republican) has installed solar panels at his second home (which is 'off the grid' in a remote location) and he says the current efficiencies of solar panels are quite good, and getting better. He thinks individual homes with solar panels will be the way of the future, and that would allow you to recharge your electric car with no environmental penalty (again, other than the panel production). My local Safeway in Scottsdale just installed solar panels in its parking lot, and apparently it will power the entire store during the day - all the lights, refrigerators, everything - and possibly power all the battery cars that want to charge there.
Old Sep 25th 2015, 8:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zargof
I had similar thoughts, and I don't see the next Speaker as being any more moderate than Boehner. I can't see how going more extreme and to the right is going to benefit the Republicans.
That's the million dollar question - what would an (even more) extreme congress do to the Republican's chances in the election? Govt. shutdowns have apparently backfired in the past, but Cruz seems hell-bent on doing more of them. What's HIS logic ... ?
Old Sep 25th 2015, 8:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Speculation on likely Speaker front runners?

One Of These 4 People Will Probably Be The Next Speaker Of The House | ThinkProgress

Oy!
Old Sep 25th 2015, 8:55 am
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
Remember, Priuses are hybrids, not pure-electric (though they do now offer a plug-in version, but even that one still has a hybrid powertrain), and they work their magic (gas saving) by regenerative braking, which is the closest thing to 'magic' that you can get. The batteries may be toxic, and/or environmentally damaging to produce, but that's about the only criticism you can level against them. My g/f has one and it's simply a decent car to own/drive, with amazing use of space.
Yes, but they still run off normal petrol. They may use less of it, but they still use it nonetheless. Remember, driving a Prius won't make the Earth last longer, it'll just make it seem longer.
Old Sep 25th 2015, 8:59 am
BE Practitioner (Level 2)

username.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
As an aside, I saw my first "Carson '16" bumper sticker today. On a Prius!
Satire, surely?

[Disclosure: I am a Prius-driving dirty librul. Not for the environment though, I just hate paying California gas prices.]
Old Sep 25th 2015, 9:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by username.exe
Satire, surely?

[Disclosure: I am a Prius-driving dirty librul. Not for the environment though, I just hate paying California gas prices.]
I saw a Trump bumper sticker in the people's republic of Berkeley of all places.
Old Sep 25th 2015, 9:03 am
I love my brick!

zargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, but they still run off normal petrol. They may use less of it, but they still use it nonetheless. Remember, driving a Prius won't make the Earth last longer, it'll just make it seem longer.
The type of car you drive will have no effect on how long the Earth lasts. The only thing it may alter is how long it is until civilisation returns to the Dark Ages.
Old Sep 25th 2015, 9:05 am
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

So far, the only bumper sticker I have seen is a Bernie Sanders one. Where I live (last election it was nothing but Romney stickers), that's quite a big deal.
Old Sep 25th 2015, 9:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Don't get it. Are you suggesting (for sake of argument) that if everyone drove a Hummer it would be the same impact as if everyone drove a Prius? Surely, reducing consumption is a very valid step forward?
Old Sep 25th 2015, 9:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
I saw a Trump bumper sticker in the people's republic of Berkeley of all places.
Well let's face it, Trump is the best hope the Democrats have of winning the election, so we (liberals) should all sport Trump bumper stickers for now (until the primaries are over).
Old Sep 25th 2015, 9:08 am
I have a comma problem

Don't get it. Are you suggesting (for sake of argument) that if everyone drove a Hummer it would be the same impact as if everyone drove a Prius? Surely, reducing consumption is a very valid step forward?
I was being facetious. What I'm getting at is the difference it makes will be immeasurable in the grand scheme of things.

Moving away from dependence on petroleum based fuels for cars is the only thing that will make any difference. But that in itself isn't going to happen overnight - electric isn't going to cut it unless we change how it is generated; hydrogen is too costly to produce. Bio-fuels may be the way to go for now.
Old Sep 25th 2015, 9:10 am

username.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond repute

Well let's face it, Trump is the best hope the Democrats have of winning the election, so we (liberals) should all sport Trump bumper stickers for now (until the primaries are over).
I quite fancy one of those hats, myself.
Old Sep 25th 2015, 9:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by username.exe
I quite fancy one of those hats, myself.
Do you have flyaway hair?
Old Sep 25th 2015, 9:12 am

Do you have flyaway hair?
Can be substituted for a dead cat.
Old Sep 25th 2015, 10:14 am
BE Forum Addict

FlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond repute

I was being facetious. What I'm getting at is the difference it makes will be immeasurable in the grand scheme of things.

Moving away from dependence on petroleum based fuels for cars is the only thing that will make any difference. But that in itself isn't going to happen overnight - electric isn't going to cut it unless we change how it is generated; hydrogen is too costly to produce. Bio-fuels may be the way to go for now.
In the long, long run, once the world's petroleum reserves have been exhausted, the future of transportation will consist of bicycles, horse-drawn carriages and sailing ships - and a population back down to a few hundred million at most (how could you have vast wheat and maize farms without liquid-fuel powered farm equipment?). So even the worthy Prius (Prii in the plural?) is/are but a stopgap in the grand scheme of things. Being semi-facetious.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.