Wikiposts

2016 Election

Old Sep 24th 2015, 11:37 am
BE Forum Addict

FlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2016 Election

Originally Posted by RoadWarriorFromLP
(Playing devil's advocate)

Chomsky didn't analyze the Republicans, he just offered an ad hominem attack.

-He presumes that opposition to an unacceptable presidential foreign policy initiative is inherently "astonishing." Citizens in a democracy are not obliged to toe the line of the president just because -- he is an elected official, not a king -- and the president should take responsibility for his failure to build consensus in a system built on checks and balances.

-Was Chomsky equally critical of party-line votes on the Democratic side of the aisle, as was the case with Obamacare? The GOP leadership should not be faulted for leading an effective coalition.

Chomsky slams the Southern vote by default, dismissing it as "remnants of the former slave-holding States." Last I checked, those states had electoral votes that are as legitimate as any other, and much of the population of those states consists of former Northeasterners who have relocated to the Sun Belt.
Speaking for the Devil (His Satanic Majesty has authorized this), I wish to state on his behalf that he wishes to retain you as his advocate on more than an ad hoc basis.
Old Sep 24th 2015, 11:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FlaviusAetius
Because there's no point. He's expressing an opinion regarding a political party with which he has serious philosophical disagreements and he's entitled to that.

Take this point from the article:

"You can tell that even by the votes. I mean, any issue of any complexity is going to have some diversity of opinion. But when you get a unanimous vote to kill the Iranian deal or the Affordable Care Act or whatever the next thing may be, you know you’re not dealing with a political party."
Precisely the same thing could be said about the Democratic Party when the Senate Democratic caucus voted unanimously to approve the Affordable Care Act. Did Chomsky jump on his soapbox and denounce that party for not having any diversity of opinion and state that he knew one was not dealing with a political party? No! Why not? Because they did something he wanted them to do.

So, without shooting the messenger, I still value his opinion according to how much it cost me - nada.
You do realize that the "The GOP is a radical insurgency" meme is that of two fellows of the Brookings Institution, a non-partisan centrist think tank recently ranked as "the most influential think tank in the world"?

https://www.amacad.org/publications/...nnOrnstein.pdf
Old Sep 24th 2015, 12:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

FlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
You do realize that the "The GOP is a radical insurgency" meme is that of two fellows of the Brookings Institution, a non-partisan centrist think tank recently ranked as "the most influential think tank in the world"?

https://www.amacad.org/publications/...nnOrnstein.pdf
Yes. One of them said this about current political discourse, that is quite true:
"On a personal level, life in the center has become, as the Franken cabinet might put it, a pain in the tuchas. Innocuous statements I have made--or even things that would make conservatives angry--are routinely mischaracterized as right-wing rants. It is a sad but real testament to the nature of political discourse in America that what one says these days is less significant than from where one says it." By Norman Ornstein
http://www.newrepublic.com/article/my-neocon-problem

Last edited by FlaviusAetius; Sep 24th 2015 at 12:44 pm.
Old Sep 25th 2015, 12:13 am
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

Speaking for the Devil (His Satanic Majesty has authorized this), I wish to state on his behalf that he wishes to retain you as his advocate on more than an ad hoc basis.
What my right-wing alter-ego failed to point out is that the Republican party has no interest in consensus, so there isn't anything that Obama could have done to win the support that they have no intention in providing.

The GOP's goal is to win majorities, not to assume the role as the loyal opposition, and coalition building should not take the place of governing.

And the Southern Strategy is a matter of fact, so Chomsky is correct when he notes that the GOP pursues the race-baiting, nativist voting bloc. Chomsky tends to speaking in flowery terms and isn't one to drop data into his narrative, but the basis of his argument is easily verified.

So my comments were tripe. But they do show that it is possible to make a bad argument sound reasonable if one is selective with the facts while keeping the strawmen to a minimum.
Old Sep 25th 2015, 1:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by RoadWarriorFromLP
What my right-wing alter-ego failed to point out is that the Republican party has no interest in consensus, so there isn't anything that Obama could have done to win the support that they have no intention in providing.

The GOP's goal is to win majorities, not to assume the role as the loyal opposition, and coalition building should not take the place of governing.

And the Southern Strategy is a matter of fact, so Chomsky is correct when he notes that the GOP pursues the race-baiting, nativist voting bloc. Chomsky tends to speaking in flowery terms and isn't one to drop data into his narrative, but the basis of his argument is easily verified.

So my comments were tripe. But they do show that it is possible to make a bad argument sound reasonable if one is selective with the facts while keeping the strawmen to a minimum.
You need to reconsider the offer I forwarded to you. The Devil is prepared to raise his offer: he's willing to pull Krauthammer's contract and give it to you as Fox News' new premier sage. Even if you're spewing tripe, it sells well in certain circles.

Last edited by FlaviusAetius; Sep 25th 2015 at 1:38 am.
Old Sep 25th 2015, 1:44 am
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Even if you're spewing tripe, it sells well in certain circles.
That's politics in a nutshell right there.
Old Sep 25th 2015, 1:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Boehner has resigned. Apparently he wants to spend more time with his chocolate factory.
Old Sep 25th 2015, 2:11 am
I love my brick!

zargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
Boehner has resigned. Apparently he wants to spend more time with his chocolate factory.
I predict tears.
Old Sep 25th 2015, 3:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Sigh...the word to Boehner was: If you won't lead us over the cliff, we'll find someone who will.
Old Sep 25th 2015, 5:25 am
BE Forum Addict

CelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond repute

Celebration in anticipation of advancing the insurgency:

https://www.yahoo.com/politics/at-co...oc_trk=ma&nf=1
Old Sep 25th 2015, 5:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

At a certain point someone is just going to come out and say maybe Trump is the best the GOP have.

Ben Carson: Science is fairy tales and the devil inspired Darwin

Later, Carson said he personally believed Charles Darwin’s theory of evolution was encouraged by the devil.
Jeb Bush In 1995: Unwed Mothers Should Be Publicly Shamed

There was a time when neighbors and communities would frown on out of wedlock births and when public condemnation was enough of a stimulus for one to be careful.
As an aside, I saw my first "Carson '16" bumper sticker today. On a Prius!
Old Sep 25th 2015, 6:10 am
BE Forum Addict

As an aside, I saw my first "Carson '16" bumper sticker today. On a Prius!
On a Prius? I thought those cars were reserved for holier-than-thou, save-the-world liberals.
Old Sep 25th 2015, 6:27 am
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

On a Prius? I thought those cars were reserved for holier-than-thou, save-the-world liberals.
at anyone who thinks Priuses (no idea on how to correctly pluralize that one) will in any way, shape or form change the world. (I know you were satirizing them, not shooting the messenger here.)

Unless they think that electricity is generated by magic fairies who excrete only pure water and oxygen as waste products.
Old Sep 25th 2015, 7:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

A thought occurs regarding Boehner's departure. Fair's fair, Boehner is actually a relatively moderate GOP kind of guy. Despite Congress being quite dysfunctional under his speakership, one wonders how worse it might get.

What if the Tea Party Caucus get control of the Speaker? We could be facing government shut downs every week. This could really play on to people's thoughts come election time.
Old Sep 25th 2015, 8:24 am
I love my brick!

zargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond repute

A thought occurs regarding Boehner's departure. Fair's fair, Boehner is actually a relatively moderate GOP kind of guy. Despite Congress being quite dysfunctional under his speakership, one wonders how worse it might get.

What if the Tea Party Caucus get control of the Speaker? We could be facing government shut downs every week. This could really play on to people's thoughts come election time.
I had similar thoughts, and I don't see the next Speaker as being any more moderate than Boehner. I can't see how going more extreme and to the right is going to benefit the Republicans.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.