Wikiposts

2016 Election

Old Sep 28th 2015, 4:55 am
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2016 Election

Originally Posted by FlaviusAetius
So even the worthy Prius (Prii in the plural?) [...] Being semi-facetious.
Being even more fractionally facetious, and sparing the blushes of our resident Roman: prius is already a genuine Latin word - neuter form of comparative adjective "prior" meaning "former" or "previous;" the neuter form is also often used adverbially as "previously." The nominative plural neuter form is "priora."

But, since it's a proper noun anyway, the plural of Toyota's Prius should follow normal English grammar rules, thus "Priuses."

/facetious_pedant
Old Sep 28th 2015, 5:42 am
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
Being even more fractionally facetious, and sparing the blushes of our resident Roman: prius is already a genuine Latin word - neuter form of comparative adjective "prior" meaning "former" or "previous;" the neuter form is also often used adverbially as "previously." The nominative plural neuter form is "priora."

But, since it's a proper noun anyway, the plural of Toyota's Prius should follow normal English grammar rules, thus "Priuses."

/facetious_pedant
I thought the plural was shit-boxes ...
Old Sep 28th 2015, 7:59 am
BE Forum Addict

FlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oakvillian

/facetious_pedant
Thank you. You confirm what I always thought, i.e. the Prius is a neutered automobile - actually, I think of it as having been spayed. {"spaded" in fly-over speak} (Resident Roman blushes )
Old Sep 28th 2015, 10:14 am
I love my brick!

zargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond repute

This is an example of what I hate most about politics, particularly from the right. When your position is so weak, you have to make shit up to sound like you have a valid point. Then we're someone calls bullshit, you double down and attack the messenger.

Carly Fiorina Abuses the Truth Just Like a Teenage Conservative Hoaxer | The New Republic

One of the biggest reasons that Romney lost in 2012 was because conservatives were stuck in their bubble of what they thought would win the election, but they were to far to the right and result reflected that. This time they have learnt nothing and are retreating further to the right and the bubble has definitely not burst. Now I'm sure they'll have their special polls again that show they can win, but they won't once reality strikes again.

So, it may seem a little early, but I'm calling it. The next President will be a Democrat*. I'm still not sure if it will be Clinton or Sanders yet, a lot depends on what happens over the next few weeks, and if Diamond Joe gets in the ring.

*If it's Sanders, then it's kind of a Democrat.
Old Sep 28th 2015, 11:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Wish I could take credit for this quip but I merely saw it on the Faceplace...

"Ben Carson can separate conjoined twins but he cannot separate church and state"
Old Sep 28th 2015, 11:52 am
BE Forum Addict

FlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zargof
This is an example of what I hate most about politics, particularly from the right. When your position is so weak, you have to make shit up to sound like you have a valid point. Then we're someone calls bullshit, you double down and attack the messenger.

Carly Fiorina Abuses the Truth Just Like a Teenage Conservative Hoaxer | The New Republic

One of the biggest reasons that Romney lost in 2012 was because conservatives were stuck in their bubble of what they thought would win the election, but they were to far to the right and result reflected that. This time they have learnt nothing and are retreating further to the right and the bubble has definitely not burst. Now I'm sure they'll have their special polls again that show they can win, but they won't once reality strikes again.

So, it may seem a little early, but I'm calling it. The next President will be a Democrat*. I'm still not sure if it will be Clinton or Sanders yet, a lot depends on what happens over the next few weeks, and if Diamond Joe gets in the ring.

*If it's Sanders, then it's kind of a Democrat.
Well then, nothing to worry about. The world is safe for the next 9 1/2 years.
Old Sep 29th 2015, 6:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Rand Paul on the brink. Obviously being a libertarian he would just assume a charity will step in to fill the gap.Rand Paul 2016: One of his super PACs goes dark - POLITICO
Old Sep 29th 2015, 7:17 am
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

This is an example of what I hate most about politics, particularly from the right. When your position is so weak, you have to make shit up to sound like you have a valid point. Then we're someone calls bullshit, you double down and attack the messenger. Carly Fiorina Abuses the Truth Just Like a Teenage Conservative Hoaxer | The New Republic One of the biggest reasons that Romney lost in 2012 was because conservatives were stuck in their bubble of what they thought would win the election, but they were to far to the right and result reflected that. This time they have learnt nothing and are retreating further to the right and the bubble has definitely not burst. Now I'm sure they'll have their special polls again that show they can win, but they won't once reality strikes again. So, it may seem a little early, but I'm calling it. The next President will be a Democrat*. I'm still not sure if it will be Clinton or Sanders yet, a lot depends on what happens over the next few weeks, and if Diamond Joe gets in the ring. *If it's Sanders, then it's kind of a Democrat.
Yeah, Fiorina has turned out to be an extremely tightly-wound sociopath. Oh well. I still think Jeb can win. However, tbh, up to this point, this is the biggest circle-jerk of an election that I've ever seen and I have no earthly idea who will win.

Last edited by Leslie; Sep 29th 2015 at 7:46 am.
Old Sep 29th 2015, 5:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

... So, it may seem a little early, but I'm calling it. The next President will be a Democrat*. I'm still not sure if it will be Clinton or Sanders yet, a lot depends on what happens over the next few weeks, and if Diamond Joe gets in the ring. ...
do you really think the next few weeks matter, for the democrats? I was thinking this wouldn't get interesting for 6 months or so. Now, the republicans ... that's just a party every day ...
Old Sep 29th 2015, 5:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Can someone give me a quick rundown on the various political websites - maybe arrange them from left to right, etc? I'm asking about
  • Huffington Post
  • Politico
  • Slate
  • New Republic
  • Daily Beast
  • (any others that are worth looking at - somewhat mainstream, nothing whako ... )
Thanks!

Last edited by Steerpike; Sep 29th 2015 at 6:00 pm.
Old Sep 30th 2015, 2:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Does anyone here think that Obama's pathetic performance at the UN - where he is lectured on realpolitik by Putin - will have no effect on the 2016 election? Fearless Leader told the world at the UN that (presumably in his view) violent extremism is not limited to one religion and even Cameron...even Cameron...tries to talk sense to him. Do you all really think that American voters are going to vote to continue this journey through Cloud Cuckoo Land? My guess is that you do, because "free" goodies and state-paid birth control trump absolutely everything else - no pun intended.

Last edited by FlaviusAetius; Sep 30th 2015 at 2:20 am.
Old Sep 30th 2015, 3:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Does anyone here think that Obama's pathetic performance at the UN - where he is lectured on realpolitik by Putin - will have no effect on the 2016 election? Fearless Leader told the world at the UN that (presumably in his view) violent extremism is not limited to one religion and even Cameron...even Cameron...tries to talk sense to him. Do you all really think that American voters are going to vote to continue this journey through Cloud Cuckoo Land? My guess is that you do, because "free" goodies and state-paid birth control trump absolutely everything else - no pun intended.
Back to the strawmen, I see.
Old Sep 30th 2015, 3:04 am
I love my brick!

zargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
Can someone give me a quick rundown on the various political websites - maybe arrange them from left to right, etc? I'm asking about
  • Huffington Post
  • Politico
  • Slate
  • New Republic
  • Daily Beast
  • (any others that are worth looking at - somewhat mainstream, nothing whako ... )
Thanks!
All of those lean to the left with the exception of Politico which is pretty central. Another one that's pretty good if you're interested in wonky stuff is The Hill which is slightly right leaning.
Old Sep 30th 2015, 3:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The problem I see with right leaning sites is that they just publish made up bollocks that has already been shown to be wrong.

See - breitbart
Old Sep 30th 2015, 3:11 am
I love my brick!

Seriously, I thought you had lived here long enough to realise the electorate don't give a shit about foreign policy. Even then it's been mentioned several times in this thread. That's not going to change, so no whatever Obama said as the UN will make no difference.

As for the "free stuff" trope, I'm not even going to bother, other than to say nine out of the ten states that receive the most government funding are red states. Therefore it's Republicans that love their free stuff.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.