Wikiposts

2016 Election

Old Oct 2nd 2015, 5:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2016 Election

The countries stature might be somewhat higher had it not demonstrated that it's vaunted military could not defeat the enemy in Vietnam in almost 10 years, pretty much the same in Iraq, but wait, we did bring Granada to its knees.
Old Oct 2nd 2015, 5:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ricky_85
Would it be too politically incorrect and too imperialistic to say the following axiom/truth?

'When America disengage from the world stage the world become even more messier than it normally is and that very bad actors fill in the gap left by the US'?
I think you can argue that both ways. For example, I'd say that the years of US intervention in Iraq were undoubtedly "messier than it normally is".
Old Oct 2nd 2015, 5:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FlaviusAetius
I do of course understand what Article 5 of the NATO agreement provides.

Nevertheless, if Russia were to move proxy forces into Estonia to "protect" the Russian-speaking minority (25%of the population), at their "request" from the fascists in the Estonian government and threatened war if NATO intervened under Article 5 - do you really think they'd intervene? Would Obama commit "boots on the ground" to intervene in Estonia and possibly get into a hot war with Russia, on their border?
NATO already has "boots on the ground" in Estonia and, yes, NATO would commit to defending Estonia if attacked by Russia.

Originally Posted by FlaviusAetius
As for Israel, we send military $$ to protect our own interests there and to appease their supporters in this country. Our political support has been minimal in the past few years.
And rightly so given Israel's continued pock-marking of the occupied territories with settlement building.
Old Oct 2nd 2015, 5:56 am
I love my brick!

zargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
I think you can argue that both ways. For example, I'd say that the years of US intervention in Iraq were undoubtedly "messier than it normally is".
The whole Middle East has been messy for centuries regardless of the amount of intervention by the US, British or anyone else.
Old Oct 2nd 2015, 6:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Talking of taking politicians seriously...

Ben Carson asks, 'Gravity, where did it come from?' | MSNBC

Last edited by sir_eccles; Oct 2nd 2015 at 6:02 am.
Old Oct 2nd 2015, 6:04 am
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sir_eccles

That's as bad as Bill O'Reilly's 'Tide comes in, tide goes out'.

What is it with conservatives and their blind grip on ignorance? What are they so scared of that they must reject knowledge and understanding of the Universe so vehemently?
Old Oct 2nd 2015, 6:11 am
I love my brick!

zargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
That's as bad as Bill O'Reilly's 'Tide comes in, tide goes out'.

What is it with conservatives and their blind grip on ignorance? What are they so scared of that they must reject knowledge and understanding of the Universe so vehemently?
Because if they start to allow facts and reason to penetrate their bubble, then their whole worldview will start to collapse in on itself.
Old Oct 2nd 2015, 6:20 am
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zargof
Because if they start to allow facts and reason to penetrate their bubble, then their whole worldview will start to collapse in on itself.
What a shame that would be ...
Old Oct 2nd 2015, 6:26 am
Forum Regular

Ricky_85 is an unknown quantity at this point

No arguing about that. A lotta people killed and injured, both military and soldiers.
The Middle-East (for various reasons) has always been messy. And an ally might turn in an enemy in a blink of an eye. See Afghanistan.

Still, since too many players (most are bad) want to fill the vacum of power in this region, that now is being created, I maintain that the US is the only one who can be trusted. Actually, a scenario whereby Putin and all the Shia leaders (Iran, Syria and Iraq) ally together to possibly dominate the entire Middle-East is very scary.
Old Oct 2nd 2015, 6:28 am
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think he actually did call the war a success, even though that was The Guardian's interpretation. Here's what he said:

"It's harder to end a war than begin one. Everything that American troops have done in Iraq - all the fighting, all the dying, the bleeding and the building and the training and the partnering, all of it has landed to this moment of success.".

You can certainly accuse Obama of a very "Clintonesque" phrase by talking about "this moment" rather than the war as a whole.
The president is trying to say that the troops did well. He's not claiming that it was a good war -- after all, he campaigned against it.
Old Oct 2nd 2015, 6:32 am
I love my brick!

Originally Posted by RoadWarriorFromLP
The president is trying to say that the troops did well. He's not claiming that it was a good war -- after all, he campaigned against it.
Exactly, you can't blame the troops for the decisions their leaders made.
Old Oct 2nd 2015, 6:32 am
BE Forum Addict

FlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sir_eccles

It is rather bizarre that Carson just seems to keep stepping into it.

Although, you would probably have to be a post-doctoral level physicist to actually attempt to answer the question of what gravity really is. We all know it's there and how it controls the world and the universe as we understand them, and how to allow for it, but still it is one of the facets of nature that is profound. Why, for example, is there a gas cloud that passes close to the black hole at the center of our galaxy (that has the mass equivalent to 4,000,000 suns) without it being torn apart and sucked into that black hole - but it does pass close with minimal damage. The gravitational pull of that black hole is vast beyond our ability to comprehend.
Old Oct 2nd 2015, 6:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Anian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond repute

He's the one who brought it up though, so maybe he shouldn't bring up things he doesn't understand and then show how little he knows.
Old Oct 2nd 2015, 6:38 am
I love my brick!

Originally Posted by Anian
He's the one who brought it up though, so maybe he shouldn't bring up things he doesn't understand and then show how little he knows.
You do realise that every time a politician speaks they show how little they know.
Old Oct 2nd 2015, 6:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Ricky_85
Still, since too many players (most are bad) want to fill the vacum of power in this region, that now is being created, I maintain that the US is the only one who can be trusted. Actually, a scenario whereby Putin and all the Shia leaders (Iran, Syria and Iraq) ally together to possibly dominate the entire Middle-East is very scary.
I don't see how the US can plausibly be trusted in the Middle East. For example, it's propping up of dictators there for decades. It's essentially unblinking support for Israel regardless of that country's actions. Iraq and "weapons of mass destruction"?? Or, going much further back, the CIA's involvement in the overthrow of the democratically elected government of Iran in 1953. Really, the US is not a lot different from a lot of other players in that region.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.