2016 Election

Old Aug 1st 2016, 5:16 pm
I love my brick!

zargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2016 Election

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Unfortunately Cruz came the closest.
True, but I don't know if there is any rule saying the GOP has to pick him.
Old Aug 1st 2016, 5:19 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Does anyone know what would happen if Trump suddenly pulled out of the election?

I might find religion.
Old Aug 1st 2016, 5:22 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
I might find religion.
If a thunderbolt came down and hit Clinton and Trump...I might too.
Old Aug 1st 2016, 6:12 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zargof
True, but I don't know if there is any rule saying the GOP has to pick him.
I think I read somewhere that the RNC gets to pick out of the top three. I guess that would be Cruz, Rubio and ?

I have said from the very beginning that he will drop out. I don't really think he wants to be president.
Old Aug 1st 2016, 6:53 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

You are correct. I'm on a rant because I am so p*ssed off with both nominees.
I'm with Mike Bloomberg on this whole thing. His speech was the one that made me feel almost normal again.

I'm not a Hillary cheerleader and didn't come into this thread with a pro-Hillary frame of mind. I loved Bernie and liked several of the Republican candidates. If things had been different, then my position could have quite possibly been different.

In years past I've enjoyed the election cycle and presidential race. I'm not enjoying this one at all. In recent times, though I supported Obama, I wasn't actually terrified of the the thought of a McCain or Romney presidency. My gut always told me that even if Obama lost, the country would be okay. The subsequent behavior(s) of McCain and Romney have IMO proved me right. They're both rational, decent, intelligent men.

This isn't an election that's about getting what I want out of a candidate. This is an election about keeping the country that I love out of the hands of a madman. Most of you have places to go if Trump turns the US into a fascist police state. I have nowhere to go. I sink with this ship.
Old Aug 1st 2016, 6:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie
I'm with Mike Bloomberg on this whole thing. His speech was the one that made me feel almost normal again.

I'm not a Hillary cheerleader and didn't come into this thread with a pro-Hillary frame of mind. I loved Bernie and liked several of the Republican candidates. If things had been different, then my position could have quite possibly been different.

In years past I've enjoyed the election cycle and presidential race. I'm not enjoying this one at all. In recent times, though I supported Obama, I wasn't actually terrified of the the thought of a McCain or Romney presidency. My gut always told me that even if Obama lost, the country would be okay. The subsequent behavior(s) of McCain and Romney have IMO proved me right. They're both rational, decent, intelligent men.

This isn't an election that's about getting what I want out of a candidate. This is an election about keeping the country that I love out of the hands of a madman. Most of you have places to go if Trump turns the US into a fascist police state. I have nowhere to go. I sink with this ship.

Well said.
Old Aug 1st 2016, 7:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting article with a pretty good take, imho, on Assanges motivation for dumping the emails when he did. Seems he is a Putin admirer not to mention antisemitic as is his most important cohort at WIKI. The Manchurian candidate theory starts to make sense.

Julian Assange, Donald Trump, and Vladimir Putin: A Troika for Our Insane Era - The Daily Beast
Old Aug 1st 2016, 7:57 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dakota44
Interesting article with a pretty good take, imho, on Assanges motivation for dumping the emails when he did. Seems he is a Putin admirer not to mention antisemitic as is his most important cohort at WIKI. The Manchurian candidate theory starts to make sense.

Julian Assange, Donald Trump, and Vladimir Putin: A Troika for Our Insane Era - The Daily Beast
Not to mention that the current administration is the primary reason he's currently under house arrest and cooling his heels in a tarted-up bedsit in London.
Old Aug 1st 2016, 9:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dakota44
Well said.
My opinion is that Trump and Clinton will say or do anything to be elected, and the majority of the American people will continue to believe the country is on the wrong path. As someone who has run a business, Clinton's policies will only add more taxes and regulations, and do little to change an unfair trade system that she has supported throughout her career. Trump on the other hand, while I agree with the thrust of some of his "policies" , also doesn't offer much of a plan that one can effectively judge how it would work in practice.

Sanders policies were clear, he believed in them and whether one agreed with his economic approach it was a clear path with potential to turn the country around. Not a plan I would prefer but it was a coherent plan. And one class act in how he behaved on the campaign trail.

All I can do is when Clinton wins is to start accumulating gold and oil stocks.
Old Aug 2nd 2016, 4:56 am
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

California could always secede. It's the eighth biggest economy in the world and on the Pacific rim An economic and commercial union with Canada could also occur. Screw Trump and his knuckle dragging mob. Bernie could be invited to run as our first President

Last edited by dc koop; Aug 2nd 2016 at 4:59 am.
Old Aug 2nd 2016, 1:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Anian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by morpeth
All I can do is when Clinton wins is to start accumulating gold and oil stocks.
Because that was so beneficial when Obama was elected. If you are going to rehash the same fearmongering that Republicans do every time a Democrat is elected, then the only sure way of making money is buying as much ammo as you can and then reselling it. Enough idiots who think that martial law is going to be declared who will pay well over the odds for something that they won't use.
Old Aug 2nd 2016, 2:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Anian
Because that was so beneficial when Obama was elected. If you are going to rehash the same fearmongering that Republicans do every time a Democrat is elected, then the only sure way of making money is buying as much ammo as you can and then reselling it. Enough idiots who think that martial law is going to be declared who will pay well over the odds for something that they won't use.
Simply I do not believe it is irrational to expect with the size of the deficit, and the proposed additional spending ( that is now called " investment"), added taxes and regulation on business etc, will eventual result in much high levels of inflation. That is not fear-mongering, just an opinion based on history and economics.

Even in the unlikely event Trump were to win, whether he would be able to change the long term structural issues with US economy is also doubtful- especially since much of his economic program isn't exactly presented with a high degree of clarity. It is fine and dandy he talks about regulatory burdens- but so did Bush , and a Republican-controlled Congress hasn't exactly been a dynamic one in improving the climate for US business.
Old Aug 2nd 2016, 10:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
I sure hope things improve over at 538 ...
http://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/...tion-forecast/
currently showing Hilary at 53.3, Trump at 46.7, and with AZ, NV, FL, NC, OH, IA, and NH all going to Trump. We need that post convention bump!
Phew - things are heading in the right direction again (for those of us who view Trump as the lesser of two evils, to pre-empt JerseyGirl's question!).

Hillary 68% vs Trump 32%.
NV, FL, NC, OH, IA and NH all back to blue; only AZ lingers in pink.

What a fickle electorate
http://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/...tion-forecast/

Old Aug 2nd 2016, 11:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie

I agree. And even though I'm an expat, I've been here 30+ years and I really don't have anywhere practical to go so I'm stuck with this ship too!

This post should be read by all those angry folks who think this thread is a liberal love-fest. It's not; it's about stopping a madman.

Regarding McCain, his choice of Palin was probably his absolute downfall. What a batshit crazy thing that was!
Old Aug 2nd 2016, 11:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Steerpike
I agree. And even though I'm an expat, I've been here 30+ years and I really don't have anywhere practical to go so I'm stuck with this ship too!

This post should be read by all those angry folks who think this thread is a liberal love-fest. It's not; it's about stopping a madman.

Regarding McCain, his choice of Palin was probably his absolute downfall. What a batshit crazy thing that was!
Choosing Palin certainly contributed to McCain's defeat .

As far as Trump being a madman because of some of his bold statements about issues that liberals are sensitive on, many voters prefer his bold stance. If Bush, Clinton, Bush, Obama and now Clinton all have not believed border control a serious issue and Trump says build a wall many find it refreshing he at least represents change and solutions. I have yet to hear Hilary once say what measures she would take to control the border.

Having said that, watching how Trump answers some questions I admit I am wondering if there is something wrong with him from a physical standpoint. How on earth in discussion of the sacrifice of a family losing a son in battle, could he respond about his "sacrifice" of providing jobs and benefits to his employees ? Not a madman but is it possible some dementia appearing ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.