2016 Election

Old May 13th 2016, 2:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2016 Election

Originally Posted by themadpooper
It's dyscalculia - that's the word for not being good with numbers
Except that was not what I was referring to.
Old May 13th 2016, 2:32 am
Banned

themadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pejp
You just cited The National Review
Should've clicked on the link before making assumptions, you would've discovered the unflattering statistics were collated from the Bureau of Labor Statistics and Census Bureau data - the government, basically

The seasonally adjusted labor-force-participation rate for black teenagers also sagged from 29.6 percent to 28.8 percent — down 2.7 percent.
During Obama’s tenure, the percentage of black Americans struggling below the poverty line has advanced, according to the most recent Census Bureau data, from 25.8 in 2009 to 26.2 in 2014 — up 1.6 percent.
Real median income among black households during those years, according to the Census Bureau, sank from $35,954 to $35,398 — down 1.5 percent.
This one's pretty damning:

The number of black food-stamp participants exploded across that time frame from 7,393,000 to 11,699,000, the U.S. Department of Agriculture reports — up 58.2 percent.
Old May 13th 2016, 2:47 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
Those sorts of comments usually end up with a visit from the Secret Service.

What's the phrase, "palling around with terrorists"...
Too many !!!!!! exclamation points !!!!!! If it wasn't for a Supreme Court ruling in the 1980s !!!!!! he would be in a secure psychiatric facility !!!!!!

Anyway, going by the opinion polls, the Republicans will hold onto the House of Representatives and the Democrats will take over control of the Senate so it really doesn't matter a jot who wins the Presidency, gridlock will continue.

May as well vote for the Libertarian candidate.
Old May 13th 2016, 2:53 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
Me too. Been a nervous wreck about this whole Trump thing for a year now. How anyone could even contemplate voting to put that narcissistic idiot in charge of the country beggars belief. And the "make America great again" jerks don't understand that the world has moved on. It's like having a "bring back the days of the Raj" movement in the UK. Aargh, I am so frustrated by what is going on it's hard to fully enunciate my disgust, but we should all be very afraid of the possibility of Trump getting elected.
Well, the opinion polls for Brexit look evenly balanced, so pretty much the same thing really. And this even after Boris and his inane comments about how Obama favours the EU because his father was Kenyan.

I'm afraid there are still a lot of old fogies out there who remember the 1950s.

Or more accurately, think they remember the 1950s.

Personally I'm just waiting for Brexit to happen, so David Davis et al can send a trade mission over to Canada and we can tell them to f off.

I mean, look at Trump quoting Eisenhower and Operation Wetback as one teeny tiny example of the future shock these people are experiencing.

"Oh no, black people can vote!"
Old May 13th 2016, 3:15 am
Banned

themadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
There will be other candidates. I can see Gary Johnson and Jill Stein becoming something of a two-headed Nader in this election. Not sure how the split in the vote will affect things, but I can see it going Clinton's way for now.

Dakota44 has you beaten, but he was born here, so that's quite an advantage

I believe you. I have had at least two weird Trump related dreams. One of which was a quite messed up mash-up with The Walking Dead. The world was ending during a Trump rally. I haven't even been drunk in over a year as well so I don't know where that came from

The only piece of reassurance that I can find for what might happen if Trump did win the general, is that even with a Republican Congress, he'd not be able to get much done, since they don't even really like him either, in the main. Doubly so if the Democrats can win back the House in the next cycle.

I get the sentiment of 'Make America Great Again' and why so many people lap it up, but the execution is all wrong. If one does aspire to make America 'great' it shouldn't be by going back in time. It should be by growing the economy, creating wealth and jobs, improving healthcare, rebuilding the crumbling infrastructure and maintaining an acceptable standard of quality of life for all citizens and residents. Kind of what Sanders is proposing, ironically.
He would end the Affordable Care Act and a Republican controlled congress would get it done quicker than you could blink, the wall could also happen. There's already legislation in place for it so the argument that one is needed has already been won, it's just how big and who pays

As for making American great again, all the best slogans have one thing in common: they inspire. It doesn't matter what they mean. Evidently, you don't like Trump, but to call the slogan lacking execution misses the point
Old May 13th 2016, 3:34 am
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

He would end the Affordable Care Act and a Republican controlled congress would get it done quicker than you could blink, the wall could also happen. There's already legislation in place for it so the argument that one is needed has already been won, it's just how big and who pays
Trump is no more a Republican than Sanders is a Democrat though, they're both Independents who ran this way because of the broken two party system.

I'll give you repealing the ACA as a strong possibility, but then what will it be replaced with? Just because Obama came up with it (which seems to be the biggest argument against it), doesn't mean things like abolishing preexisting conditions are a bad thing. Personally I don't think it was an ideal solution, more of a band-aid because he couldn't have get what he really wanted past the House, but that's a whole other discussion.

That being said, I'm not 100% convinced the entire GOP will get behind him if he were to win, he has ruffled quite a few feathers during this campaign, but I guess we'll have to wait and see.

As for making American great again, all the best slogans have one thing in common: they inspire. It doesn't matter what they mean. Evidently, you don't like Trump, but to call the slogan lacking execution misses the point
Inspiration based on empty gestures, yeah OK, it's not like that hasn't happened many times before so I'll go with it. He's certainly perfected the art of rabble rousing anyway, but I think they should be backed up with some substance as well. Shouldn't it be more about making America 'better', rather than claiming what he would imply is the best country in the world somehow isn't great at the same time?

I've nothing against him personally - he's a successful businessman and by all accounts seems to be a pretty clean family guy in his personal life. I don't buy into all the negative stereotypes per se, I don't misinterpret his exceptionalism as racism, though I do think he could choose his words more carefully. I just don't want him to win the election based on how he's presenting himself in the primary and I'm really not sure if he is the right choice.
Old May 13th 2016, 12:18 pm
I love my brick!

zargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond repute

So amongst all the political signage I'm seeing is stuff supporting the county coroner. It still seems strange to me. I know the rationale of preventing cronyism, but really what is the difference between a Democrat and Republican coroner?
Old May 13th 2016, 12:30 pm
Wondering if...

celticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond repute

Should've clicked on the link before making assumptions, you would've discovered the unflattering statistics were collated from the Bureau of Labor Statistics and Census Bureau data - the government, basically
Such numbers are meaningless unless put in context, which both you and the article have studiously avoided doing.

Unless you are also applying the same logic as you do to words:

It doesn't matter what they mean.
Sigh.
Old May 13th 2016, 12:47 pm
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

It's tough to take conservatives seriously when they can't even figure out simple things, such as the fact that labor force participation is not the same thing as unemployment.
Old May 13th 2016, 1:56 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

The last statistic you pull out provides a perfect example of why statistics out of context can be so very misleading.

The global recession, which you'll recall started before Obama took office in 2008, resulted in a significant growth in the numbers of food stamp users. Both summary and detailed numbers are available here Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) | Food and Nutrition Service - but the headline numbers show that in 2008-2012 the total number of food stamp users grew from 28,223,000 to 45,767,000 - an increase of 62%.

Your source cites an increase of 58% in the number of African-American users of food stamps. That is lower than the national total, which means proportionally fewer African Americans are in the program than was the case in 2008. This indicates exactly the opposite case to that which you are making.

But thanks for playing.
Old May 13th 2016, 1:59 pm
Wondering if...

celticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zargof
So amongst all the political signage I'm seeing is stuff supporting the county coroner. It still seems strange to me. I know the rationale of preventing cronyism, but really what is the difference between a Democrat and Republican coroner?
The difference is what gets classed as death by natural causes.
Old May 13th 2016, 2:16 pm
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
The last statistic you pull out provides a perfect example of why statistics out of context can be so very misleading.
It's the sort of thing that you should expect from someone who goes by the handle of "Crazy Shit."
Old May 13th 2016, 2:17 pm
Bloody Yank

Originally Posted by zargof
The Republican coroner will support smaller government, i.e. corpses should perform their own autopsies.
Old May 13th 2016, 2:27 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RoadWarriorFromLP
It's tough to take conservatives seriously when they can't even figure out simple things, such as the fact that labor force participation is not the same thing as unemployment.
Talking about conservatives, could I get recommendations for right wing news aggregators? I assume there are such things. I look at Breitbart dot com now & then, but they seem to have their own axes to grind - plus their site is annoyingly "busy" and slow to load.

I used to be on top of this stuff when I worked, but since retiring I've got lazy and just look at a few news sites that do not cover the spectrum....
Old May 13th 2016, 2:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder if we have any of these "online trolls" on this thread. Statistically, almost certain, I would think. All those supposed Trump-haters, who would rather have a war criminal as their President...
Pro-Hillary PAC Spending $1 Million to Hire Online Trolls - Breitbart

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.