Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Are you affected by the heat?

Are you affected by the heat?

Old Aug 15th 2011, 11:56 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are you affected by the heat?

Quite enjoying it actually, unlike the oppressive mid summer heat of Spain it's just a perfect temperature for virtually any outdoor activity.
Been a fantastic Spring also, better than in Spain, according to reports.
Unfortunately I missed it, I was in Spain.
Old Aug 16th 2011, 1:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Relampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
Quite enjoying it actually, unlike the oppressive mid summer heat of Spain it's just a perfect temperature for virtually any outdoor activity.
Been a fantastic Spring also, better than in Spain, according to reports.
Unfortunately I missed it, I was in Spain.
You talk about one or more exceptions, while I speak of something daily, habitual
Old Aug 16th 2011, 7:37 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Relampago
You talk about one or more exceptions, while I speak of something daily, habitual
Yeh, but after ten years in Tenerife, much better all year long than mainland Spain, it became somewhat boring and I have since appreciated the variety of the seasons much more.
Old Aug 16th 2011, 8:05 am
BE Forum Addict

rachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond repute

Yeh, but after ten years in Tenerife, much better all year long than mainland Spain, it became somewhat boring and I have since appreciated the variety of the seasons much more.
One thing that surprised me about Spain is the variety of the seasons - I didn't expect them to be so marked, but they are. And even with temperatures significantly higher than in the UK, it's still possible to get that cold crisp feeling in winter.
Old Aug 16th 2011, 9:55 am
On the road again.

Originally Posted by rachelk
One thing that surprised me about Spain is the variety of the seasons - I didn't expect them to be so marked, but they are. And even with temperatures significantly higher than in the UK, it's still possible to get that cold crisp feeling in winter.
True, although I expected it to be different to TF and my pals all warned me I was in for an unpleasant change, I still found the change and extremes on the Peninsula much greater than I expected and much more akin to the UK than the Canaries.
Old Aug 16th 2011, 10:09 am
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Relampago
Yep. In Spain, blue skies and sunshine is the default setting. In the UK, it's cloud cover, day in, day out.

I find that there is just as much seasonal change in Spain where we are, and while summer this year has been a bit opressive, it's worth that to have a fabulous spring and autumn. Winter may be cold and wet here, but the knowledge that there will be good weather to come more than compensates for that.
Old Aug 16th 2011, 2:56 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

I think it pays to be sensible at the moment.

http://www.typicallyspanish.com/news...le_31653.shtml

Alicante is not on the list, but where I am we're at 46 degrees at the moment. We've got some salt tablets, just in case.
Old Aug 17th 2011, 12:18 am
On the road again.

Once you get up to 40 or more it's not only uncomfortable and unbearable but also bloody dangerous.
I've heard stories of tourists spending virtually the whole week standing in the pool with only their heads sticking out above the water.
Meanwhile the old folkies can be dropping like flies, as in Greece a few years back.
During my first year in Valencia the temp was above 40 every day for weeks on end. Fortunately I was able to get away from the worst of it.

The weather has seemed to me to be a bit more changeable in recent years, with not so many relentlessly long scorching spells, maybe down to climate change, who knows.
Old Aug 17th 2011, 7:35 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG
I think it pays to be sensible at the moment.

http://www.typicallyspanish.com/news...le_31653.shtml

Alicante is not on the list, but where I am we're at 46 degrees at the moment. We've got some salt tablets, just in case.
the oh is currently feeding the dog a couple of crisps every day, he gets a bit of additional salt that he wouldnt take in his food but thinks he is getting something for nothing
kidology
Old Aug 17th 2011, 8:35 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Once you get up to 40 or more it's not only uncomfortable and unbearable but also bloody dangerous.
I've heard stories of tourists spending virtually the whole week standing in the pool with only their heads sticking out above the water.
Meanwhile the old folkies can be dropping like flies, as in Greece a few years back.
During my first year in Valencia the temp was above 40 every day for weeks on end. Fortunately I was able to get away from the worst of it.

The weather has seemed to me to be a bit more changeable in recent years, with not so many relentlessly long scorching spells, maybe down to climate change, who knows.
I think my limit is around 36C before it gets too much for me, although obviously you can search out air conditioned rooms to compensate. One thing about an inland city like Madrid, is that it cools down substantially at night. I don't know how people near the coast sleep in heatwaves.
Old Aug 17th 2011, 11:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Relampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond repute

Old Aug 17th 2011, 12:45 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
I think my limit is around 36C before it gets too much for me, although obviously you can search out air conditioned rooms to compensate. One thing about an inland city like Madrid, is that it cools down substantially at night. I don't know how people near the coast sleep in heatwaves.
We basically have to have the aircon on sleep setting if we are to get a good night's sleep. July and August is definitely an endurance test, but I wouldn't trade this in for the UK's climate in all its shades of grey.
Old Aug 17th 2011, 7:17 pm
On the road again.

Originally Posted by bil
We basically have to have the aircon on sleep setting if we are to get a good night's sleep. July and August is definitely an endurance test, but I wouldn't trade this in for the UK's climate in all its shades of grey.
Lots nicer and more pleasant things to do here in comfortable temperatures,cloudy or fine, than take part in bloody endurance tests.

Too long in the tooth for that sort of thing anyway, not that I'd fancy it in my prime.

Ah well, whatever floats your boat.
Old Aug 17th 2011, 7:33 pm
bil
Banned

Lots nicer and more pleasant things to do here in comfortable temperatures,cloudy or fine, than take part in bloody endurance tests.

Too long in the tooth for that sort of thing anyway, not that I'd fancy it in my prime.

Ah well, whatever floats your boat.
Well, if I were in the UK, I'd be bored and depressed with the greyness, as I always was. Here I have my garden, and while temperatures plummet in the UK very soon we will be enjoying a lovely indian summer that will stretch from September to december.

That is well worth the endurance of the two summer months, and we haven't even started on the spring!
Old Aug 17th 2011, 7:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Never underestimate the depressive powers of shades of grey. SAD anyone? Reckon my elder brother knows the feeling..... moved from Argentina to UK to Argentina to Germany to UK and now South Africa. Notice a pattern?!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.