Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Are you affected by the heat?

Are you affected by the heat?

Old Jul 22nd 2011, 9:52 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are you affected by the heat?

Originally Posted by HBG
Today has been a catalogue of silliness and I've got to blame something other than my own stupidity.

When I parked in the Mercadona car park, I crushed one of their shopping trolleys when I parked my car.

My wife is returning from England tomorrow and having lost her return flight confirmation asked me to email it to her. I printed it out and posted it to her in the correos, it will arrive some time next week.

When I returned from shopping I found the Doberman sitting in the shallow end of the swimming pool, looking happy. I had forgotten to put the ladder across after the vet informed us not to let him in the pool.

A couple of other things happened which I'm going to keep quiet about.

I blame the ridiculous heat.
At the risk of being rude and personal......maybe it is not the heat but just that you are being a man..........or maybe just being you.

When things happen to women it is called the time of life etc.

As you get older you can call it senior moments.

All joking asside I think that the heat does make us more forgetful and less attentive to details.

Rosemary
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 10:03 am
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
As I said thats the way its been for many months, so the recent rainfall is a belated blessing from above.

If I chose my location on the basis of climate alone, mainland Spain would not even come into the reckoning.

Anyway I'm just lovin it back here, where I can live life to the full, rather than just try to exist through the infernal Spanish mid-summer.
Of course you can. Depends on your definition of 'life' and 'full' Of course you get some good weather in the UK. That's just to remind you what it can be like. Personally I think that like Aggie you are whistling in the dark. I find it's people who have moved back to the UK that say that. Those who live there aren't so enthusiastic about it. I've been getting emails from family and friends who are bitching about the lousy weather they are getting after the nice spell earlier. One was shrieking about the indignity of wearing warm clothes in July.

I can appreciate the mushroom growers are lovin' it, and I trust that your work in opening 'Fungus world' to the public is going well.

Spain isn't perfect, and the summers are hot, far too hot to do anything sensibly other than relax and take it easy. Oh bugger, what a tragedy. Oh how I wish I were back in the UK with the grey clouds and the creeping, damp greyness.

Nope, still can't say that with a straight face.
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 10:34 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

British pastime isn't it whinging about the weather. I whinge about it in both countries. For me the weather in andalucia in July/aug is crap. The weather is Surrey this week has been crap both in different ways. Today is a beautiful day I kid you not.

Heat can make people irritable too and cause car accidents and road rage. Have seen it on the costa.
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 10:42 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG
Today has been a catalogue of silliness and I've got to blame something other than my own stupidity.

When I parked in the Mercadona car park, I crushed one of their shopping trolleys when I parked my car.

My wife is returning from England tomorrow and having lost her return flight confirmation asked me to email it to her. I printed it out and posted it to her in the correos, it will arrive some time next week.

When I returned from shopping I found the Doberman sitting in the shallow end of the swimming pool, looking happy. I had forgotten to put the ladder across after the vet informed us not to let him in the pool.

A couple of other things happened which I'm going to keep quiet about.

I blame the ridiculous heat.
so does that mean the Spaniards have taken their jackets off ??
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 10:48 am
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo
British pastime isn't it whinging about the weather. I whinge about it in both countries. For me the weather in andalucia in July/aug is crap. The weather is Surrey this week has been crap both in different ways. Today is a beautiful day I kid you not.

Heat can make people irritable too and cause car accidents and road rage. Have seen it on the costa.
Yep, it can be hard in July and August. The UK does have a milder climate. However, for me, that persistant greyness and dampness just used to get me down. I can stand the Spanish winters, even with their torrential rains because the spring will be lovely, warm and sunny, and the autumn will be too. August and July, yep, hot as hell, but I'd rather have two flamethrower months per year than all that grey.
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 11:08 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG
You don't know just how envious I am. When I first came over, I never stayed in July and August, I couldn't cope with the heat. But circumstances changed and the option to escape back to the UK when things become too hot is no longer open.

My wife has just phoned me from England to say that it's pissing down where she is, in London. My sister from Scotland phoned earlier to complain of the rain.

I've had to bite my tongue so much that it hurts.

I'm melting on the Costa Blanca.
ah but that was yesterday............today it has been pissing down & it looks like more to come, although the sun does break through now & then

it could be a very soggy moors & christians firework display
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 11:10 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

I used to love the smell of London, especially at night. And that was back in the days of such heavy fog you couldn't see your hand in front of your face.

Around that time I parked my caravan (a holiday one) on the north Norfolk coast for an entire summer and visited as often as I could. It was parked in a famer's field and I marvelled at the smell of the countryside. It was a peculiar smell and I didn't realise what it was until the end of the summer when I saw the farmer out with his dung spreader.

I now enjoy the smell of the Spanish beaches in the summer and I know what causes it. Coconut oil.
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 12:09 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil
Yep, it can be hard in July and August. The UK does have a milder climate. However, for me, that persistant greyness and dampness just used to get me down. I can stand the Spanish winters, even with their torrential rains because the spring will be lovely, warm and sunny, and the autumn will be too. August and July, yep, hot as hell, but I'd rather have two flamethrower months per year than all that grey.
I have to agree with you about the greyness, when I lived in Sheffield there seemed to be so many days of drizzle and greyness. Later living in Eastbourne the weather was better but so many days I cycled to work and arrived soaked to the skin. Like most people I do not appreciate the heat of July and August here but what is two months compared to six months winter.

Graham
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 12:11 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG
I used to love the smell of London, especially at night. And that was back in the days of such heavy fog you couldn't see your hand in front of your face.

Around that time I parked my caravan (a holiday one) on the north Norfolk coast for an entire summer and visited as often as I could. It was parked in a famer's field and I marvelled at the smell of the countryside. It was a peculiar smell and I didn't realise what it was until the end of the summer when I saw the farmer out with his dung spreader.

I now enjoy the smell of the Spanish beaches in the summer and I know what causes it. Coconut oil.

So I trust you don't have any Spanish pig farms within a ten km radius or so.

They do tend to get a bit ripe when the heat really builds up, so much so I'm wary of even striking a match in some places.
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 1:47 pm
bil
Banned

Originally Posted by The Oddities
I have to agree with you about the greyness, when I lived in Sheffield there seemed to be so many days of drizzle and greyness. Later living in Eastbourne the weather was better but so many days I cycled to work and arrived soaked to the skin. Like most people I do not appreciate the heat of July and August here but what is two months compared to six months winter.

Graham
I know exactly what you mean. It's the creeping, pervasive greyness that sucks the joy out of life. When the sun does shine in the UK, you realise what a beautiful place it can be. The flowers seem to shine, the colours come alive, and then the sun goes in and the greyness creeps back.

Yeah, I'll take my ease in the high summer, - so much better than a six month winter.
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 4:15 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

I once read that the best climate in the world was San Diego, California. I googled to put on a link. Guess what....nearly every place in every continent came up Says it all, it is what works for you. Why do some people live in Iceland, dark half the year as is Norway.

I would say the canaries should be one of the best, warmer winters than Spain, less rain and cooler than the costa in summer. However, I dislike the Canaries. I know Nairobi well and that seems and ideal climate.
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 4:22 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo
I once read that the best climate in the world was San Diego, California. I googled to put on a link. Guess what....nearly every place in every continent came up Says it all, it is what works for you. Why do some people live in Iceland, dark half the year as is Norway.

I would say the canaries should be one of the best, warmer winters than Spain, less rain and cooler than the costa in summer. However, I dislike the Canaries. I know Nairobi well and that seems and ideal climate.
I still have fond memories of Singapore, number of years since last there, when the monsoon hit you could see the rain drying as it hit the pavement
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 6:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

montgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Domino
I still have fond memories of Singapore, number of years since last there, when the monsoon hit you could see the rain drying as it hit the pavement
I did a 3 day stopover there two years ago and loved the place but hated the humidity. Couldn't stand to live there for that reason - one season, continuous high humidity.
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 7:29 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil
I know that, I just enjoy taking the piss out of those people who used to say I was talking rubbish when I said the UK has a foul, grey climate fit only for mushrooms.

Temperate. Is that a posh word for shit?

Where is Aggie anyway? I keep expecting him to say that there are no grey clouds and that the UK weather is just wonderful.
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 10:00 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil
I know exactly what you mean. It's the creeping, pervasive greyness that sucks the joy out of life. When the sun does shine in the UK, you realise what a beautiful place it can be. The flowers seem to shine, the colours come alive, and then the sun goes in and the greyness creeps back.

Yeah, I'll take my ease in the high summer, - so much better than a six month winter.
Unfortunately not everyone lives in your parallel universe bil.

The number of threads and posts over the last two or three years complaining about the Spanish weather has begun to get really tedious.

When is the weather going to warm up ?
When is it going to stop raining ?
When is it going to cool down ?
etc.etc.etc..... week after week after week at times.

Mainland Spain simply doesn't have a great climate anywhere, and taken over the whole year has just as many negatives as positives in comparison to the UK.
I don't have an axe to grind either way normally splitting my time between the two with a little time in Scandinavia also.
Maybe I was spoilt during my years in Tenerife where almost every day year-round was t-shirt and shorts with very rarely any of the excesses of heat and cold and unreliable weather that are so common in Mainland Spain.

The UK probably has more positives in other respects regarding the range of pastimes,activities, readily available products and much cosier winter housing.
Added to that Spain is no longer cheap with the cost of living looking set to overtake the UK.

Oh and by the way was it last year or the previous one that your area had even greater rainfall than Englands rainiest city ?

Could be worse though, as in Madrid for instance where the complaints are normally about hell in summertime or an icebox in winter or up in the N.W where the total rainfall makes much of the UK seem akin to the Sahara desert.

Great climate, Not !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.