Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Are you affected by the heat?

Are you affected by the heat?

Old Jul 23rd 2011, 11:02 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are you affected by the heat?

Spending the afternoons lazing around the pool get hum-drum after a while. Although I would love to spend a couple of afternoons each week doing that but normal life after that. I like to be doing stuff even if only pottering in the garden. Not much fun in the heat with flies biting your legs and sweat running in your eyes. I like sunshine that I can sit in or walk around comfortable.

I remember lots of days when the sun didn't shine all day in Spain. One year I started to note in my diary cloudy/rainy days. I got bored with it by Feb but there were a lot of bad days not to mention the cold.

I really didn't like Tenerife, not even for a holiday.
Old Jul 23rd 2011, 11:04 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo
Spending the afternoons lazing around the pool get hum-drum after a while. Although I would love to spend a couple of afternoons each week doing that but normal life after that. I like to be doing stuff even if only pottering in the garden. Not much fun in the heat with flies biting your legs and sweat running in your eyes. I like sunshine that I can sit in or walk around comfortable.

I remember lots of days when the sun didn't shine all day in Spain. One year I started to note in my diary cloudy/rainy days. I got bored with it by Feb but there were a lot of bad days not to mention the cold.

I really didn't like Tenerife, not even for a holiday.
There's just no pleasin' some folk.
Old Jul 24th 2011, 6:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lynn R
I don't think we are having an infernally hot summer this year, not where I live (the Axarquia) anyway. Unless my memory has been more affected by the heat than I realised, I don't remember us having more than 4 excessively hot days up to now - although there's another one due on Sunday if the forecasts are right. By excessively hot I mean 36C or over - I don't feel too hot these days if it stays below 35.
The very hot days we have had have been isolated ones rather than all together, so I find it easier when the temperature goes down again the following day.

I wouldn't swap this climate for the UK's - in 2006, the year we left to move to Spain, I had to have my central heating on in August. It hasn't got any better since according to family.

What she said!
Old Jul 24th 2011, 8:36 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James

The climate in coastal Spain is pretty good. As many have mentioned the really big difference from the UK is that on most days IT IS SUNNY!.

It rains a lot but the sun comes out the same day and it all warms up again - even in January.
Just remembered I was on the CDS in March...it rained 4 days out of 5 and we never saw the sun, not even for an hour, except on day 5 (as we left for the airport). Some friends who live inland couldn't get to the coast as the roads were impassible.

A couple of weeks ago we were staying in conil, was pleasantly hot but not oppressive like the eastern CDS.
Old Jul 24th 2011, 8:52 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

the OH says the continuous sun, and when cloudy the brightness, is what keeps her happy (there and I thought it was me )

the expats she works with all say the same, and they get a big "downer" when it rains 2 days on the trot.
but what do you expect being inland and 750m up a mountain

So how do the Spaniards seem to like their cave houses so much - or is it that they are continually trying to sell them to the expats, who only want to sit on the verandah and enjoy
Old Jul 24th 2011, 9:30 am
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Just remembered I was on the CDS in March...it rained 4 days out of 5 and we never saw the sun, not even for an hour, except on day 5 (as we left for the airport). Some friends who live inland couldn't get to the coast as the roads were impassible.

A couple of weeks ago we were staying in conil, was pleasantly hot but not oppressive like the eastern CDS.
Conil is a couple of miles up from where we are. It's a lovely town with amazing beaches, but in the last couple of years the buildings have started to sprawl over the hill a bit.

If you are here again, from Conil go south just a couple of miles to the Trafalgar beach where there is possibly the nicest beach in the area. Never crowded, even in the height of summer. Or if you can't be bothered, but want to stay in Conil, go northward just a little on the beach and you'll find it gets quieter and more secluded.
Old Jul 24th 2011, 2:19 pm
ยฟDรณnde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

I'm clearly affected by the heat - it's 27ยบ & I'm just about to go in search of some socks
Old Jul 24th 2011, 2:27 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by bil
Conil is a couple of miles up from where we are. It's a lovely town with amazing beaches, but in the last couple of years the buildings have started to sprawl over the hill a bit.

If you are here again, from Conil go south just a couple of miles to the Trafalgar beach where there is possibly the nicest beach in the area. Never crowded, even in the height of summer. Or if you can't be bothered, but want to stay in Conil, go northward just a little on the beach and you'll find it gets quieter and more secluded.
I think we probably did although I forget the names. Had a nice lunch in bolonia and a coffee in Vejer. Shame about Conil, visited a few years ago and there has been a lot of building. Hope it stops now before it is like CDS.
Old Jul 24th 2011, 3:13 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

I think we probably did although I forget the names. Had a nice lunch in bolonia and a coffee in Vejer. Shame about Conil, visited a few years ago and there has been a lot of building. Hope it stops now before it is like CDS.
Bolonia. Did you go to the Roman diggings over there? You get in free if you are european.

Since they haven't been able to sell the buildings they constructed in the last spell, I'm hoping it will be a long, long time before they build any more. You are right, it would be a shame to have another Chiclana there.

Where did you have the coffee in Vejer? There's a very nice hotel in the old centre, and the restaurant la Califa is one of the best around.
Old Jul 24th 2011, 3:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

paintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynnxa
I'm clearly affected by the heat - it's 27ยบ & I'm just about to go in search of some socks
Oh yes. Socks and slippers indoors whatever the weather. Our neighbour knocked on our door the other evening, and he could not take his eyes off my red and white stripy socks and moccasins.Lol.
Old Jul 24th 2011, 3:22 pm
Banned

Love the Califa, had a great morroccan meal there a few years ago in a really pretty courtyard.

We once spent a few days near chiclana, novo sancti petra. Nice beach but the place seemed all purpose built...no soul, just lots of hotels.

We are getting off topic aren't we. Anyway the weather is less fierce...I think
Old Jul 24th 2011, 3:23 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paintermujer
Oh yes. Socks and slippers indoors whatever the weather. Our neighbour knocked on our door the other evening, and he could not take his eyes off my red and white stripy socks and moccasins.Lol.
I know its hot but are you sure you shouldnt have been wearing a little more than that

Old Jul 24th 2011, 3:48 pm
bil
Banned

Love the Califa, had a great morroccan meal there a few years ago in a really pretty courtyard.

We once spent a few days near chiclana, novo sancti petra. Nice beach but the place seemed all purpose built...no soul, just lots of hotels.

We are getting off topic aren't we. Anyway the weather is less fierce...I think
NSP seems to be damn near part of Chiclana these days. The Califa courtyard is pretty special. We've eaten there several times, and it's always very good.
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 5:45 pm
Just Joined

jaks123 is just really nicejaks123 is just really nicejaks123 is just really nicejaks123 is just really nicejaks123 is just really nicejaks123 is just really nicejaks123 is just really nicejaks123 is just really nicejaks123 is just really nicejaks123 is just really nice

Originally Posted by bil
I know that, I just enjoy taking the piss out of those people who used to say I was talking rubbish when I said the UK has a foul, grey climate fit only for mushrooms.

Temperate. Is that a posh word for shit?

Where is Aggie anyway? I keep expecting him to say that there are no grey clouds and that the UK weather is just wonderful.
i love the uk summer its my favorite day of the year .still rather be in spain
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 5:54 pm
bil
Banned

Originally Posted by jaks123
i love the uk summer its my favorite day of the year .still rather be in spain
Good one.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.