Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Are you affected by the heat?

Are you affected by the heat?

Old Aug 18th 2011, 10:11 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are you affected by the heat?

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
Right enough, the coastal areas are a tad warmer than the UK in winter, but with houses that are ice boxes in winter and red hot radiators in mid summer, making it an endurance test according to bil, then any real advantage is lost.

Taking all factors into account, the UK with its cosy houses and much better range of attractions wins for me both mid-winter and mid summer.
On top of that the UK also had a far better Spring than Spain this year, leaving only the Autumn where Spain may have the edge, but even that awaits to be seen.

Oh by the way, strange that bil rarely mentions that his own area had even greater rainfall than Englands rainiest city a couple of years back.

To be serious for anyone for whom the weather is the main priority both countries are very poor climate-wise, compared to such as the W.Canaries where it is t-shirt and shorts virtually all year round, with rarely any of the unpleasant extremes common to mainland Spain either in mid winter or mid-summer.

To put it in a nutshell it's much akin to comparing a thoroughbred racehorse to two donkeys. lol.
Now now dickie, play nice. I have said many times that the joke is there is more rain here and it comes down in lumps. Sure, July and August are a bit of an endurance test, but the winter while wetter is a lot nicer. It doesn't start till December, and ends before March. 3months with the heating on as compared to the fact that in the UK it came on in September and off in April.

The UK NEEDS those cosy homes or winters would be unliveable.

You do seem like those expats who move abroad and then go back to the UK, you know the ones that desperately try and convince themselves that the UK is perfect in every way.

It won't wash. The weather here isn't perfect. i'm not so stupid as to claim it is. However, I look back at the UK with its short bursts of insipid watery sunshine, it's endless grey days, and the drizzle, and the often pitiful levels of rain spread over long periods so that everything was permanently damp. Naaah, if you are happy there, fine, I really hope you are, but me, I'm fine here. Part of it is that I like Spain, I like the language, and I like the people. The weather for all that it has some faults, is a bonus. Twice a year in spring and autumn I have better weather than in UK summers, so I get better than two summers a year. That's pretty damn good, don't you think?

Last edited by bil; Aug 18th 2011 at 10:19 pm.
Old Aug 19th 2011, 9:50 am
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Yo Dick!

Just seen newspaper headlines on a programme from the UK saying "Flash flood devastation as monsoon like rains hit"

What was that you were saying again?
Old Aug 19th 2011, 10:04 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil
Yo Dick!

Just seen newspaper headlines on a programme from the UK saying "Flash flood devastation as monsoon like rains hit"

What was that you were saying again?

Sounds just like that wonderful spring-time down your way.
Every time I switched the Spanish news on there seemed to be another town under water with rivers flowing right through ppls houses.

Absolutely beautiful day here.
I've been out walking since early on and just come in for a coffee.

Never mind bill, I hope you come through your endurance test ok.

Stiff upper lip and all that , eh what ?
Old Aug 19th 2011, 10:26 am
bil
Banned

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
Sounds just like that wonderful spring-time down your way.
Every time I switched the Spanish news on there seemed to be another town under water with rivers flowing right through ppls houses.

Absolutely beautiful day here.
I've been out walking since early on and just come in for a coffee.

Never mind bill, I hope you come through your endurance test ok.

Stiff upper lip and all that , eh what ?
As you say, there's good and bad.

So which towns were those? Sounds like there's a lot of them from what you say...
Old Aug 19th 2011, 1:23 pm
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Strange weather last night.

At about midnight sitting on our north east facing terrace Mrs. J saw two very spectacular Perseids (at least she said she did). I went to bed and was woken up some time later by the most almighty crash of thunder. Finding the space alongside me empty I went out to the terrace to find her sitting in the rain watching the most amazing lightning storm over Estepona.

Today, hot sunny and humid.

WRT the previous posts comparing UK/Spain weather - there's no contest. It isn't perfect but Spain wins hands down. I like hot.
Old Aug 19th 2011, 3:58 pm
bil
Banned

Originally Posted by jimenato
Strange weather last night.

At about midnight sitting on our north east facing terrace Mrs. J saw two very spectacular Perseids (at least she said she did). I went to bed and was woken up some time later by the most almighty crash of thunder. Finding the space alongside me empty I went out to the terrace to find her sitting in the rain watching the most amazing lightning storm over Estepona.

Today, hot sunny and humid.

WRT the previous posts comparing UK/Spain weather - there's no contest. It isn't perfect but Spain wins hands down. I like hot.
Exactly. Only a fool says that a particular country has the perfect climate, especially a country like the UK which is so reknowned for its bad weather. I'd rather have the heat too, as on balance, the climate here wins hands down for me.
Old Aug 19th 2011, 4:04 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil
Exactly. Only a fool says that a particular country has the perfect climate, especially a country like the UK which is so reknowned for its bad weather. I'd rather have the heat too, as on balance, the climate here wins hands down for me.
Singapore, 30m north of equator, beaches, good food, good weather, plenty of sun, when it rains it steams as it hits the ground

hang on why am I here ? ?
Old Aug 19th 2011, 4:05 pm
bil
Banned

Originally Posted by Domino
Singapore, 30m north of equator, beaches, good food, good weather, plenty of sun, when it rains it steams as it hits the ground

hang on why am I here ? ?
Humidity levels? A friend of mine spent many childhood years following his RAF father around that region. He said that before the monsoon rains hit, the humidity would hit 99%, and you could almost wring the water out of the air.
Old Aug 19th 2011, 4:17 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil
Humidity levels? A friend of mine spent many childhood years following his RAF father around that region. He said that before the monsoon rains hit, the humidity would hit 99%, and you could almost wring the water out of the air.
humidity high, yes,
dhoby rash, yes (if clothing not washed properly)
mould on stored clothes, shoes etc, yes
you learn personal hygiene very quickly.

I spent 5 years out in that area and it was best in Singapore.
looking at it now on Google it has changed beyond recognition, but they have kept all the old cemetaries as a reminder of the Japanese invasion horrors.
Old Aug 19th 2011, 5:06 pm
bil
Banned

Originally Posted by Domino
humidity high, yes,
dhoby rash, yes (if clothing not washed properly)
mould on stored clothes, shoes etc, yes
you learn personal hygiene very quickly.

I spent 5 years out in that area and it was best in Singapore.
looking at it now on Google it has changed beyond recognition, but they have kept all the old cemetaries as a reminder of the Japanese invasion horrors.
Definitely not one of my fave destinations...
Old Aug 19th 2011, 7:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't like Singapore either, I hated the humidity which seemed much worse than in Thailand or Malaysia, and they have knocked down everything interesting about the place. You could be in any city anywhere in the world, totally lacking in character IMO.
Old Aug 19th 2011, 10:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Relampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond repute

For me, the best climate is one that is since September to mid-June next year. I don't know other countries, but the stations here are very marked, of the beautiful days of autumn (my favorite, although I was born in spring, concretly in early April) with its tones ocher and yellow, fresh and clean air; the winter, that is cold but also has very beautiful days, blue, as autumn; or spring, an explosion of colors ... I have no great sympathy for the summer, but I recognize that it is very questionable, because when was a children I liked, and it's an excuse for tourists and vacations. But it is something extreme and I don't like

Concluding, I say that at least for me, the best weather, and at least in my country, is that is since September to June of next year

Last edited by Relampago; Aug 19th 2011 at 10:44 pm.
Old Aug 19th 2011, 10:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

stevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond repute

You must find a better translator Relempago.

usted debe encontrar a un mejor traductor Relempago
Old Aug 19th 2011, 10:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Relampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stevesainty

You must find a better translator Relempago.

usted debe encontrar a un mejor traductor Relempago
I think that's understandable what I put
Old Aug 19th 2011, 10:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

stevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond repute

maybe, I understood the sentiments. Forgive me if you are offended, it is not meant.

tal vez, entendí los sentimientos. Perdóneme si usted es ofendido, no lo quieren decir.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.