Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

winter fuel payment

winter fuel payment

Old Oct 18th 2011, 1:12 pm
  #91  
MODERATOR
 
Rosemary's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: Costa Valencia
Posts: 14,546
Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: winter fuel payment

Originally Posted by licinius View Post
So what you're saying is you haven't saved enough for your own retirement so you would like the next generation of tax payers (moi) to bail you out? And you can't even ask nicely!
The pension scheme was designed for the next generation to pay for the previous one ergo I paid in for my parents generation my children pay in for my generation it could only work that way, no country could afford to pay the amounts required otherwise. Of course like many others you can pay in to a private pension also as I did, luckily mine worked out ok but there have been many losers and just as many foolish people who will say that they are far too knowledgable for anything disasterous to happen to them luckily the state pension is there for them to fall back on. I presume from your comments that you will not expect the next generation on from you to pay and therefore will forego you state pension when the time arrives.

graham
Rosemary is offline  
Old Oct 18th 2011, 1:21 pm
  #92  
MODERATOR
 
Rosemary's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: Costa Valencia
Posts: 14,546
Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: winter fuel payment

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy View Post
Can we return to the winter fuel payment comments from here on please, otherwise I might as well close the thread
Just a little off topic but I see the the inflation figures for the UK have reached 5.2%, this should help people on state pension adding something like 5.50gbp to the weekly pension.

Graham
Rosemary is offline  
Old Oct 18th 2011, 2:28 pm
  #93  
Forum Regular
 
Arco-Iris's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Cadiz Province, Spain
Posts: 231
Arco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: winter fuel payment

Originally Posted by The Oddities View Post
Just a little off topic but I see the the inflation figures for the UK have reached 5.2%, this should help people on state pension adding something like 5.50gbp to the weekly pension.

Graham
The WFA was introduced back in the 90s after years of pensioners being found dead of hypothermia. And a good thing too for people living on a basic pension.

I guess the Allowance may be targeted in the future in the same way that Family Allowance has been - by withdrawing it as a universal, non-means tested allowance. In the not-too-distant-future I can see the Coalition cutting off the allowance for folk whose income is above a certain level.

I, for one, am extremely glad that we were able to import our WFA on moving to Spain. These concrete houses are freezing in the winter and we noticed, as our bodies acclimatised to the area (and as we got into our 70s) we had to add more and more heating each winter. We have a wood burning stove in the sitting room, heated panels in each bedroom, a gas heater in the hall and an electric wall-mounted fan in the bathroom. In bed we have an electric blanket. I don't think this is so very different from a fully-centrally heated house/apartment in the UK.

I'm a child of the 40s, when it was not unusual to wake up with icicles inside the windows. I'm very glad that no UK citizen who is eligible for this benefit is denied the opportunity to receive it.
Arco-Iris is offline  
Old Oct 18th 2011, 3:38 pm
  #94  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Location: Chiclana
Posts: 3,327
Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: winter fuel payment

Originally Posted by Arco-Iris View Post
The WFA was introduced back in the 90s after years of pensioners being found dead of hypothermia. And a good thing too for people living on a basic pension.

I guess the Allowance may be targeted in the future in the same way that Family Allowance has been - by withdrawing it as a universal, non-means tested allowance. In the not-too-distant-future I can see the Coalition cutting off the allowance for folk whose income is above a certain level.

I, for one, am extremely glad that we were able to import our WFA on moving to Spain. These concrete houses are freezing in the winter and we noticed, as our bodies acclimatised to the area (and as we got into our 70s) we had to add more and more heating each winter. We have a wood burning stove in the sitting room, heated panels in each bedroom, a gas heater in the hall and an electric wall-mounted fan in the bathroom. In bed we have an electric blanket. I don't think this is so very different from a fully-centrally heated house/apartment in the UK.

I'm a child of the 40s, when it was not unusual to wake up with icicles inside the windows. I'm very glad that no UK citizen who is eligible for this benefit is denied the opportunity to receive it.
Well said.
Chiclanagir is offline  
Old Oct 18th 2011, 10:36 pm
  #95  
BE Forum Addict
 
megmet's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: Near Alora....but not too near. :)
Posts: 1,646
megmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: winter fuel payment

Originally Posted by licinius View Post
Yawn would you care to quote these names that I'm accused of calling British Expats???? Please try to keep your quotes true & factual in future please meg

Let me clarify AGAIN for those that have trouble understanding the English language. I've been an expat for 4 years now, during that time, firstly in Tenerife & now in Andalucia the majority of expats I have come across have been undesirables. As I said earlier, not ALL expats, just the majority.

Now it could well be that I'm in the wrong area, and all the nice folks go to a different part of Spain, but unlike most on here I won't speculate & will only quote my own personal experience. As far as i'm concerned, the only people who would take offence to such tagging are the undesirables themselves..........

If that's too complicated for you to understand megmet then I'm sorry but tough cos I won't bother trying to explain again, my head hurts enough from banging the wall as it is
I most definitely have got my facts straight, I have already quoted you as calling them in other threads "blaggers" and "trailer trash" and said "the worst thing about Spain is British expats".
It's very easy to see very single comment you have made, they are there for all to see in black and white linked in your profile.....if it's not too difficult for your tiny brain to cope with do take a look.

I'm just thankful you don't inhabit my world, you sound like a very lonely and embittered individual and one best avoided, Alhaurin el Grande is welcome to you!
megmet is offline  
Old Oct 18th 2011, 10:46 pm
  #96  
BE Forum Addict
 
megmet's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: Near Alora....but not too near. :)
Posts: 1,646
megmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: winter fuel payment

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy View Post
Can we return to the winter fuel payment comments from here on please, otherwise I might as well close the thread
Apologies Mitzy for answering him back, he's such a brainless prat though!

As for WFP, I hope all that are entitled to it continue receiving it for as long as they live, even in this 'hot country' old people here do still die of both cold and extreme heat!
Anything that us British tax payers can do to stop that happening must surely be a good thing.
megmet is offline  
Old Oct 18th 2011, 11:07 pm
  #97  
Banned
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Living in a good place
Posts: 8,824
jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: winter fuel payment

Originally Posted by megmet View Post
I most definitely have got my facts straight, I have already quoted you as calling them in other threads "blaggers" and "trailer trash" and said "the worst thing about Spain is British expats".
It's very easy to see very single comment you have made, they are there for all to see in black and white linked in your profile.....if it's not too difficult for your tiny brain to cope with do take a look.

I'm just thankful you don't inhabit my world, you sound like a very lonely and embittered individual and one best avoided, Alhaurin el Grande is welcome to you!
I am a bit confused. I thought quite a few posters on here have been saying the same about the Brits in Spain. Bit of volte-face
jackytoo is offline  
Old Oct 19th 2011, 8:06 am
  #98  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Alhaurin el Grande
Posts: 582
licinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: winter fuel payment

Originally Posted by megmet View Post
I'm just thankful you don't inhabit my world, you sound like a very lonely and embittered individual and one best avoided, Alhaurin el Grande is welcome to you!
I love the irony of this statement
licinius is offline  
Old Oct 19th 2011, 8:11 am
  #99  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Alhaurin el Grande
Posts: 582
licinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: winter fuel payment

Originally Posted by The Oddities View Post
I presume from your comments that you will not expect the next generation on from you to pay and therefore will forego you state pension when the time arrives
I've already accepted the fact (along with most others my age) that even if there is still a state pension when I retire it won't be worth having so yeah they may as well go ahead & scrap it sooner rather than later.

From October next year it becomes compulsary for all workers & employers to pay into a pension. With tax relief this equates to 8% of an individuals salary. the state pension can then be phased out without fuss, we'll still pay the same amount of NI but that can be watsed on something else instead.
licinius is offline  
Old Oct 19th 2011, 8:35 am
  #100  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: conil de la frontera
Posts: 363
jo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: winter fuel payment

Originally Posted by licinius View Post
So what you're saying is you haven't saved enough for your own retirement so you would like the next generation of tax payers (moi) to bail you out? And you can't even ask nicely!
(SNIP)

And we did save for our retirement but the goal posts have moved faster than anyone could have expected, we both worked all of our lives and paid into the system and paid the maximum into private pensions that we could and now savings are disappearing rapidly, so please stop being such a snotty individual.

Last edited by Mitzyboy; Oct 19th 2011 at 12:29 pm. Reason: Best not to go there :-)
jo-ann is offline  
Old Oct 19th 2011, 8:49 am
  #101  
bil
Banned
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Vejer de la Fra., Cadiz
Posts: 7,653
bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: winter fuel payment

If older people had the wit to create a political party for the over 60s or whatever, they could cause real problems for the government. After all, their attitude seems to be that once you cease to pay taxes, you are just a drain on the country, and the sooner you freeze to death or die on a hospital trolley in some cold corridor, the better.
bil is offline  
Old Oct 19th 2011, 9:01 am
  #102  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: conil de la frontera
Posts: 363
jo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: winter fuel payment

Originally Posted by bil View Post
If older people had the wit to create a political party for the over 60s or whatever, they could cause real problems for the government. After all, their attitude seems to be that once you cease to pay taxes, you are just a drain on the country, and the sooner you freeze to death or die on a hospital trolley in some cold corridor, the better.
Saw evidence of that with both parents, when they were in hospital, they couldn't kill them off quick enough, I expect the day will come when you will be given a pill to get rid of you and hence no more payments to be made.
jo-ann is offline  
Old Oct 19th 2011, 9:08 am
  #103  
bil
Banned
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Vejer de la Fra., Cadiz
Posts: 7,653
bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: winter fuel payment

Originally Posted by jo-ann View Post
Saw evidence of that with both parents, when they were in hospital, they couldn't kill them off quick enough, I expect the day will come when you will be given a pill to get rid of you and hence no more payments to be made.
Like I say. Good job people are too stupid to do anything about it eh? Plus of course, we have created a system that basically sees you as worthless.
bil is offline  
Old Oct 19th 2011, 9:17 am
  #104  
Popping in for a chat
 
Lionda's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Back home
Posts: 4,573
Lionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: winter fuel payment

Originally Posted by bil View Post
If older people had the wit to create a political party for the over 60s or whatever, they could cause real problems for the government. After all, their attitude seems to be that once you cease to pay taxes, you are just a drain on the country, and the sooner you freeze to death or die on a hospital trolley in some cold corridor, the better.
They could call it the Common Sense Party
Lionda is offline  
Old Oct 19th 2011, 10:33 am
  #105  
Ex Expat
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: West Midlands, ex Granada province
Posts: 2,140
scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: winter fuel payment

Originally Posted by bil View Post
If older people had the wit to create a political party for the over 60s or whatever, they could cause real problems for the government. After all, their attitude seems to be that once you cease to pay taxes, you are just a drain on the country, and the sooner you freeze to death or die on a hospital trolley in some cold corridor, the better.

There is the National Pensioners' Convention.

http://npcuk.org/

And many Pensioners continue to pay tax throughout their lives.

However, I agree that many people do take the attitude you mention.
scampicat is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.