Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

winter fuel payment

winter fuel payment

Old Oct 16th 2011, 6:07 am
BE Enthusiast

licinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: winter fuel payment

Originally Posted by megmet
I wait with interest to see what you're going to call expats next, you have already in other threads called them "blaggers" and "trailer trash" and said "the worst thing about Spain is British expats".
You don't appear to like your fellow countrymen very much do you.
Accept it, Brits are not the nicest people in the world & expats are notoriously the worst. Of course I don't mean ALL expats, just the majority.

Back on subject. The UK can't afford the welfare state anymore. It's creation was a good thing but it's been watered down since then from helping people who need help to throwing cash around willy nilly. This thread has convinced me that the winter fuel payment has to go!
Old Oct 16th 2011, 7:04 am
BE Enthusiast

jay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by licinius
Accept it, Brits are not the nicest people in the world & expats are notoriously the worst. Of course I don't mean ALL expats, just the majority.

Back on subject. The UK can't afford the welfare state anymore. It's creation was a good thing but it's been watered down since then from helping people who need help to throwing cash around willy nilly. This thread has convinced me that the winter fuel payment has to go!
It is very sad that you have such a low opinion of your fellow Brits or is it the British in general. I do not know what sort of peer circle you go round in but I would differ with the majority being unsavoury in fact 90% of those I know are really nice people, the ones that tend to be less honourable tend to have been here many years and feel they have the right to rip others off, many of which have businesses and have prices so extortionate that coming from the UK within the last few years I struggle to understand the reality of it all, have qualifications to do construction jobs that they learned through playing with Lego but think they are builders and tinkering with your car on a Saturday makes you a time served mechanic but in defence of these people many expats leave their brains at the airport and their common sense within the UK.

I treat others as I would wish to be treated, I trust till it is broken and I select my friends by the same accord, maybe choosing a little more careful may change your opinion

As this is the country of choice for many retired people they are more than entitled to receive what is due to them irrelevant of where they choose to live. I choose to live here and as I am a long way off retirement, I am very unlikely to get anything from the UK when I am at retirement at 66/67 or even older as they are likely to increase the retirement age again, but I do not begrudge anyone getting what they worked so hard for and have seen diminished by constant whittling away of pension pots, if they got decent pensions in the first place as they were led to believe they would get then they would not need anything else.
Old Oct 16th 2011, 7:10 am
BE Enthusiast

jo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to behold

I can't believe people complain about the cold in Spain. Yes the temp does drop but the difference is in Spain you can put a jumper on or climb under the duvet to be snug as a bug, but in the UK you can still freeze to death even with a jumper on under the quilt!

I really didn't realise we had so many freeloaders in Spain
You so obviously are not a pensioner so you do not know what you are talking about, when you do get to that age you will realize that it is bloody cold here in the winter and it is impossible to get more than 1 room in a Spanish house to a reasonable temperature to sit in with your thick blanket and several jumpers and woolly socks on, and when you suffer from old age ailments believe me you need warmth. So please don't shout you mouth off about things you know nothing about
Old Oct 16th 2011, 7:16 am
BE Enthusiast

licinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jay01
have qualifications to do construction jobs that they learned through playing with Lego but think they are builders and tinkering with your car on a Saturday makes you a time served mechanic
I think you summed Brit expats up pretty well there Jay
Old Oct 16th 2011, 7:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jo-ann
You so obviously are not a pensioner so you do not know what you are talking about, when you do get to that age you will realize that it is bloody cold here in the winter and it is impossible to get more than 1 room in a Spanish house to a reasonable temperature to sit in with your thick blanket and several jumpers and woolly socks on, and when you suffer from old age ailments believe me you need warmth. So please don't shout you mouth off about things you know nothing about
Of course I know what the winter in like Jo & yes I know you only get one room warm but my point is that you can warm up in Spain under the duvet, whereas in Scotland you can't!
Old Oct 16th 2011, 7:26 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Of course I know what the winter in like Jo & yes I know you only get one room warm but my point is that you can warm up in Spain under the duvet, whereas in Scotland you can't!
I've worked in Scotland, and I have to say I don't recognise this description. The buildings in Scotland are built to cope with 7 or 8 months of winter; I certainly found my flat in Glasgow to be perfectly snug, as were the hotels when I wasn't based in a flat.
Again you choose to ignore people's point, that the further inland in Spain you go (especially at altittude) the colder it gets in winter. In northern Spain you're more likely to see snow some years than in England. If you don't believe me, please visit one of the following cities in December through to March - Burgos, Leon, Segovia, Soria, Cuenca or Teruel.
The cold weather payment does not differentiate between people living in colder homes and those in warmer places. If it did, perhaps those in London (a bigger population than all of Scotland!) would no longer qualify?
Of course all of this is academic. It looks increasingly likely that the government will chop this benefit, when they introduce the new pensions system.
Old Oct 16th 2011, 7:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
I certainly found my flat in Glasgow to be perfectly snug
Perhaps that's because you weren't old & frail so didn't feel the cold

If this benefit is getting scrapped then good, trust me m8 I know about cold weather. I was in Alberta for the coldest winter in decades (-51'c) & had a trip to Moscow in Novemeber where I couldn't even pee because my genitalia shrank so much.

I don't dispute that Spain get's chilly during the winter months, what I do dispute is that the Spanish winter will kill OAP's like it does in Britain!
Old Oct 16th 2011, 7:59 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

You're just making me laugh now
You clearly dont have a very nice circle of friends then if you have made such a huge generalised assumption.

The fact remains that the majority of pensioners on here have contributed all their lives to a system that allows them benefits when they reach that retirement age. The fact that we take them doesnt make us "not the nicest people in the world".

So theres nothing wrong with what they are doing. I agree that pensioners arent going to die here regularly because of the cold, but the fact remains that it gets cold here in Spain in the winter. We have to have the wood fire burning and often the heaters on. We choose to claim what is our right and are not embarrassed to do so.

I feel very sad that you are running expats down again just because of this thread, and really wonder why you are here if you feel so badly about us
Old Oct 16th 2011, 8:14 am
Popping in for a chat

Lionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps that's because you weren't old & frail so didn't feel the cold

If this benefit is getting scrapped then good, trust me m8 I know about cold weather. I was in Alberta for the coldest winter in decades (-51'c) & had a trip to Moscow in Novemeber where I couldn't even pee because my genitalia shrank so much.

I don't dispute that Spain get's chilly during the winter months, what I do dispute is that the Spanish winter will kill OAP's like it does in Britain!
You could have a point there .... maybe OAP's in Spain should get an allowance during the hottest months to help with the electric bills for fan useage to enable them to cool down They've certainly paid enough into the system and are entitled to get something back.
Old Oct 16th 2011, 9:08 am
BE Enthusiast

jo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to behold

What am I supposed to do, sit under a duvet all day long!!!!! Get real. Most people in Scotland and UK have their nice central heating working and their fitted carpets. Not an option here - fuel allowance is needed.
Old Oct 16th 2011, 9:21 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jo-ann
What am I supposed to do, sit under a duvet all day long!!!!! Get real. Most people in Scotland and UK have their nice central heating working and their fitted carpets. Not an option here - fuel allowance is needed.
my dad's house in the UK was like an oven - he had the heating set at 27º

he only had his pension to live on, & also ate very well, so if he could do it then anyone can

we could never get our place here that hot - maybe one room if there was an open fire - but not the whole place - I'm not sure if it would be possible - but even if it was, I can't imagine what the bills would be like - they were bad enough trying to keep the temp at 21º
Old Oct 16th 2011, 9:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

Why? Don´t they have duvets in Scotland!
Old Oct 16th 2011, 9:45 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chiclanagir
Why? Don´t they have duvets in Scotland!
Hard people, the Scots. Rumour has it, they don't even wear anything under their kilts!
Old Oct 16th 2011, 10:00 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy

The fact remains that the majority of pensioners on here have contributed all their lives to a system that allows them benefits when they reach that retirement age. The fact that we take them doesnt make us "not the nicest people in the world".

So theres nothing wrong with what they are doing. I agree that pensioners arent going to die here regularly because of the cold, but the fact remains that it gets cold here in Spain in the winter. We have to have the wood fire burning and often the heaters on. We choose to claim what is our right and are not embarrassed to do so.
Absolutely agree. Whilst I am against the benefit culture I don't consider this as a benefit, more of an entitlement when people have contributed all their lives.
Old Oct 16th 2011, 11:52 am
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute

Under current rules murderers & serial pedophiles are allowed back into society after just a few years in prison!

I think everyone will agree the current rules are why Britain is becoming a 3rd world country.
You're living in Spain and you call the UK a third world country?? At least the rules in the UK are consistent and not made up as they go along!

Last edited by scampicat; Oct 16th 2011 at 11:57 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.