Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

winter fuel payment

winter fuel payment

Old Oct 30th 2011, 8:59 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: winter fuel payment

Originally Posted by scampicat

He has not been in a classroom in any capacity since and would rather work in B and Q.
Surely he would need to enforce a level of discipline in B&Q in order to deal with annoying twits and befuddled pensioners trying to use the self check out system
Old Oct 30th 2011, 9:10 am
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Surely he would need to enforce a level of discipline in B&Q in order to deal with annoying twits and befuddled pensioners trying to use the self check out system
But there would not be thirty of them at a time and he would not be expected to get them good results in exams!
Old Oct 30th 2011, 9:22 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

But there would not be thirty of them at a time and he would not be expected to get them good results in exams!
Have you ever been in B&Q on pensioner discount day?? They are like hordes, milling around the store in a confused state giving no quarter to any ordinary innocent shopper that gets in their way. No one is safe ... be afraid, be very afraid
Old Oct 30th 2011, 9:26 am
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute

Have you ever been in B&Q on pensioner discount day?? They are like hordes, milling around the store in a confused state giving no quarter to any ordinary innocent shopper that gets in their way. No one is safe ... be afraid, be very afraid
Been there myself many times on Old Gits' Wednesdays
Old Oct 30th 2011, 9:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

He has not been in a classroom in any capacity since and would rather work in B and Q.
That's it, it's all about choices, and as for stress, some handle it better or differently than others. A member of our family is deputy head at a large secondary modern, and there are some pretty undesirable, rough kids attending that school, and she seems to take it all in her stride, nothing seems to faze her. Plus if you can stand three days a week as supply teacher, you'll earn more in a week than you would in several weeks in B&Q.
Old Oct 30th 2011, 9:57 am
Ex Expat

Originally Posted by agoreira
That's it, it's all about choices, and as for stress, some handle it better or differently than others. A member of our family is deputy head at a large secondary modern, and there are some pretty undesirable, rough kids attending that school, and she seems to take it all in her stride, nothing seems to faze her. Plus if you can stand three days a week as supply teacher, you'll earn more in a week than you would in several weeks in B&Q.

It's not about money, it's about health and well-being.

Anyway, my husband always hated supply teaching (he did it for one term) because , there was very little opportunity to actually teach. In the best schools the students just got on with the work their regular teacher had set, so the supply teacher only had to twiddle their thumbs; in the worst schools it was just riot control.

My husband went into teaching because he wanted to teach, not be a baby-sitter, policeman, social worker, administrator or counsellor.

Sorry, very off-topic, must do better.

Last edited by scampicat; Oct 30th 2011 at 10:07 am.
Old Oct 30th 2011, 10:01 am
BE Enthusiast

anna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud of

I am so used to Facebook I miss the facility to tick "like" at all your witty comments!!
Old Oct 30th 2011, 10:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Of course it is, that's what I said, it's all about choices. If the job is getting you down, making you stressed/ill, then get out, that's the logical thing to do. As I said my neighbour is not so affected, he still loves teaching, there was a big void in his life when he finished, so carries on doing supply. So he's doing a job he still loves and gets well paid for it as a bonus. Your hubby gets enjoyment from working in B&Q, so everyone is happy.
Old Oct 30th 2011, 10:04 am
Senior Moment

Originally Posted by anna58
I am so used to Facebook I miss the facility to tick "like" at all your witty comments!!
You can use the karma button here to do the same thing
Old Oct 30th 2011, 10:09 am
Ex Expat

Of course it is, that's what I said, it's all about choices. If the job is getting you down, making you stressed/ill, then get out, that's the logical thing to do. As I said my neighbour is not so affected, he still loves teaching, there was a big void in his life when he finished, so carries on doing supply. So he's doing a job he still loves and gets well paid for it as a bonus. Your hubby gets enjoyment from working in B&Q, so everyone is happy.
He doesn't actually work in B and Q. He would just prefer it now to teaching.
Old Oct 30th 2011, 10:34 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

You missed the irony, the smiley! Someone claimed that most are burnt out, I was just making the point that many aren't, even after retiring they still want to carry on working, earning more money. Still, they are on half term now, so another chance to recharge their batteries.
nope, didnt miss the irony
when you meet them walking on the front on the CDS, big grins and even bigger wallets, you know who attended the Stress Awareness courses.

no employee should have to live with lifelong stress, but receiving training in how to recognise it and react to it is being used against the employer to emphasise little stress indicators. To be able to go back as a supply means there is no stress.
no one who has suffered stress to that extent can just throw it off without a care like an unneeded wooly pully at 43c.

such a bad day today, I keep hitting the wrong keys - I am Sooo S T R E S S E D.
Old Oct 30th 2011, 10:46 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Anyway, my husband always hated supply teaching (he did it for one term) because , there was very little opportunity to actually teach. In the best schools the students just got on with the work their regular teacher had set, so the supply teacher only had to twiddle their thumbs; in the worst schools it was just riot control.

My husband went into teaching because he wanted to teach, not be a baby-sitter, policeman, social worker, administrator or counsellor.

Sorry, very off-topic, must do better.
I have never believed the "Those that can do, those that cant teach" mantra, its too simple.
some people have a natural affinity to training other people in subject(s) they have a love for. trying to learn a subject from someone who has no interest in just one part of the training process is very hard.
some people just switch off when doing the job, such as a factory worker on piece work.

interesting that of the examples you give all are public service.
there are training and coaching positions in the private sector that pay quite well where most of the pupils actually pay for the tuition.
Old Oct 30th 2011, 11:48 am
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

He doesn't actually work in B and Q. He would just prefer it now to teaching.
We knew an ex teacher, when people asked him what he did, he used to stay "I'm a lion tamer. I used to be a techer, but I lost my nerve."
Old Oct 30th 2011, 12:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: winter fuel payment

You saw me there then Mitzy I didn't see you must have been having a senior moment.