Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

winter fuel payment

winter fuel payment

Old Oct 24th 2011, 6:00 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: winter fuel payment

Originally Posted by anna58
As far as I know that's what they do in Germany, and they're very good pensions which also include private health care.
oh no, the UK cannot learn from someone else, it might be better. Actually the Germans pay a higher % of salary for it, but it works for them and could work for us.
but then pensions are a new thing in the history of working man.
Old Oct 24th 2011, 7:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond repute

Too true, I wonder why all these people who resent the public sector pensions didn't becme puplic sector workers? Something to do with the salaries they would have received during their working lives? No private healthcare packages, no company car, no bonuses in the public sector.
All of those extras you quote are taxable. You also get for reasons I do not understand bonus' paid in the public sector.
I don't resent employees in the public sector, I just believe that when comparing costs of employment the full costs are included not just headline salaries that do not give the full picture.
I think that's a perfectly sensible and fair position to take. I also happen to believe that there is an imbalance in favour of the Public sector that needs addressing. The fact is we need to reduce public expenditure.
Old Oct 24th 2011, 10:51 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnnyone
All of those extras you quote are taxable. You also get for reasons I do not understand bonus' paid in the public sector.
I don't resent employees in the public sector, I just believe that when comparing costs of employment the full costs are included not just headline salaries that do not give the full picture.
I think that's a perfectly sensible and fair position to take. I also happen to believe that there is an imbalance in favour of the Public sector that needs addressing. The fact is we need to reduce public expenditure.
as in HMRC getting bonuses for cocking up the taxation of so many individuals each year.
or is it just a ploy to get overtime putting it right.
Old Oct 25th 2011, 4:49 am
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute

Such as? I've never had a 'bonus'.
Old Oct 25th 2011, 5:59 am
BE Enthusiast

anna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud of

Well, we're all going to be paying for everyone elses, because as far as I understand it, when the new state pension comes in, you won't have had to have done any,or maybe a few years, to qualify for the £140 a week, and all the people who've never done a days work will get it.
Old Oct 25th 2011, 7:08 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Domino
as in HMRC getting bonuses for cocking up the taxation of so many individuals each year.
or is it just a ploy to get overtime putting it right.
I'm not sure where that comes from ..... my wife worked in HMRC all her life and never sniffed any kind of bonus! In fact I never heard of anyone in HMRC getting a bonus. Maybe at the very highest level, I dont know
Old Oct 25th 2011, 8:11 am
BE Forum Addict

whitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
I'm not sure where that comes from ..... my wife worked in HMRC all her life and never sniffed any kind of bonus! In fact I never heard of anyone in HMRC getting a bonus. Maybe at the very highest level, I dont know
A Bonus culture is now rife in the public sector at all levels.
Crazy unrecognisable job titles, non-jobs at 50K a year.
Jobs for life, good pensions, umpteen days off, huge burden to the state.

Madness.
Old Oct 25th 2011, 8:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

You get bonuses paid in some public sector jobs now (not all) because our political masters decided that performance related pay must be introduced in order to make the public sector more like the private! I did pretty well out of it myself, the bonuses weren't anything like some areas of the private sector pay, but they helped pay for my Spanish house to be renovated before we moved over. Thanks very much for your contributions, Domino and Johnnyone!

And before anyone says that people in the public sector get pay rises and bonuses no matter how well or badly they have performed, no they do not. In the last job I had before leaving the UK, I had to give an unfavourable appraisal to a member of my staff and tell him that he would not be getting any pay rise that year as a consequence (after having warned him previously that his work wasn't coming up to the required standards and arranged extra training for him). He left work and tried to commit suicide that night, and I got a phone call from his father the next morning to tell me about it. That was one of the most horrible days I ever spent at work, and I've had a few, despite what some of you say about public sector workers being feather-bedded.
Old Oct 25th 2011, 8:58 am
Just Joined

Nichola Battye is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by stuboy
I don't deny your entitlement to it. What you may or may not have paid is irrelevant, it is not means tested.

What is questionable is whether the fund is being used to assist the people it was designed to. In your case and others in your position I don't think it is.

This is my opinon. No doubt as a new member I will be subject to the usual volley of criticism that eventually will drive me away.
Well said.
Old Oct 25th 2011, 9:24 am

perhaps you dragged her out to the sun too early, and it all came about after she left

http://www.employeebenefits.co.uk/it...art/pg_ftr_art

http://www.accountingweb.co.uk/topic...bonuses/481072

http://services.parliament.uk/hansar...s/part046.html

and not a single mention of the Mail or Express......

I am making a big assumption that those complaining about WFP are those who have retired and moved out of the country before 60 and therefore are not eligible for the payment.
Old Oct 25th 2011, 10:05 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by whitelinen
A Bonus culture is now rife in the public sector at all levels.
Crazy unrecognisable job titles, non-jobs at 50K a year.
Jobs for life, good pensions, umpteen days off, huge burden to the state.

Madness.
I think you may be talking about the upper echelons ... I still know people in the Civil Service, and that doesnt happen.
Maybe it explains why my wife was made redundant from the civil service then after 40 years service
Old Oct 25th 2011, 10:08 am
Senior Moment

Originally Posted by Domino
perhaps you dragged her out to the sun too early, and it all came about after she left

http://www.employeebenefits.co.uk/it...art/pg_ftr_art

http://www.accountingweb.co.uk/topic...bonuses/481072

http://services.parliament.uk/hansar...s/part046.html

and not a single mention of the Mail or Express......

I am making a big assumption that those complaining about WFP are those who have retired and moved out of the country before 60 and therefore are not eligible for the payment.
Interested to see what level this is at!! Afaik the grass routes dont see anything

As for qualifiying for the payment after they moved ... well ... it can be done I'm afraid, I've seen it done by people who just claimed that they were resident in the UK on a particular date in September of the previous year and said no more!
Old Oct 25th 2011, 10:31 am

Interested to see what level this is at!! Afaik the grass routes dont see anything

As for qualifiying for the payment after they moved ... well ... it can be done I'm afraid, I've seen it done by people who just claimed that they were resident in the UK on a particular date in September of the previous year and said no more!
You know full well that the grass roots don't get the bonuses in any sector. I remember working at a place where they had profit share, paid as % of salary. Sales insisted on it being based on their total income including commission for the pay year.

Yes I know a few who have arranged a 2 week "holiday" to get themselves on the gravy train. As you say, its a payment that is made if the individual meets certain critieria.
Old Oct 25th 2011, 10:54 am
BE Forum Addict

johnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond repute

Well, we're all going to be paying for everyone elses, because as far as I understand it, when the new state pension comes in, you won't have had to have done any,or maybe a few years, to qualify for the £140 a week, and all the people who've never done a days work will get it.
I am not sure that's right. As I understand it and I may be wrong you need 30 years NI contributions to get the full pension.
The £140 equates to what is the current guaranteed minimum a pensioner receives and this is meant to avoid means testing. I do not think this is necessarily fair, firstly on existing pensioners who will not benefit and secondly it benefits new pensioners who in normal circumstances would not receive anything above the old basic amount as they have there own pensions or other assets.( I shall be in that category) This must reduce the amount of money available to those who need it most.
The only plus I can see is that it should reduce the cost of administering state pensions and benefits to pensioners.
Also what happens to SP2 contributions. Are these payable on top of the £140 as I cannot see that the state can take this away.

Last edited by johnnyone; Oct 25th 2011 at 12:45 pm. Reason: 28 years changed to 30 years
Old Oct 25th 2011, 11:00 am
BE Enthusiast

anna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud of

I think I've read that you lose SP2

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.