Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

winter fuel payment

winter fuel payment

Old Oct 21st 2011, 11:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: winter fuel payment

Originally Posted by scampicat View Post
Well it isn't minimal for me, I could take my Pension now, but I would lose about £500 a year for the rest of my life and some off the lump sum too, my pension is only about £2.5k a year before deductions, so i would like to wait until I can have it with NO deductions.

Each to their own choice!

(However, just checked and I will lose far less than this next August if I take it two years early (about 250 a year), so might review my financial situation then as we might needthe lump sum to get a new car!!)
You also need to consider inflation in five years that lump sum may be more but it may be worth less. Plus who knows what will happen in five years. Supposed to be the end of the world today which means none of us will receive any pension.
Old Oct 21st 2011, 11:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

I took my company pension early and glad I did as my company went bust a couple of years later.
Old Oct 21st 2011, 12:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

The retirement age for Local Government has always been 65, afaik. Maybe your husband qualified because he fulfilled the Rule of 85? My colleague was in this position, by the time he was 60 he had paid into the Pension Scheme for over 30 years, so 60 + 30 = 90 (more than 85). If you are in this position you can take your Pension at 60 with no actuarial reduction.

Unfortunatley, I do not fulfil the rule of 85 until a few months before my 65th birthday.
I've just checked the LGPS website, and if you joined the scheme before 1 April 1998, you could retire and receive your pension at age 60 provided you would have been able to accrue 25 years' service had you stayed in employment until age 60.

Knew it was something like that as I used to work for a trade union representing public sector staff and remember the controversy about the change being introduced. It was around the same time as the old separate 'Blue Book' and 'Purple Book' conditions of service for LG manual workers and APT&C staff were scrapped and everyone went on to the same conditions.
Old Oct 21st 2011, 3:42 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chiclanagir View Post
Supposed to be the end of the world today which means none of us will receive any pension.
Oh .... not again
Old Oct 21st 2011, 4:04 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

I have met a few early retirees in Spain such as ex-Firemen, Policemen etc who finished at 55 with decent pensions, how do they do that?
Old Oct 21st 2011, 4:09 pm
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo View Post
I have met a few early retirees in Spain such as ex-Firemen, Policemen etc who finished at 55 with decent pensions, how do they do that?

Because police and firemen are allowed by the terms of their pension schemes to retire with full pensions after (I think) 25 year's service.
Old Oct 21st 2011, 4:10 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Because that's the deal they are on!

I have a friend who joined the police as a cadet at 16. He retired at 46 having done the required 30 years service on a full pension. He was immediately re-employed in his old job as a civilian - he was the local crime prevention officer.

He did another 12 years in the job and got another pension on top!

No wonder so many people are complaining about public sector pensions!
Old Oct 21st 2011, 4:55 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

The same applies to the armed forces.

I think if you were waiting to be rescued from the roof of a burning house you would not want to see a 64-year old firemen making his unsteady way up the ladder. And if you've just been mugged, would you expect a 64-year old police officer to be running after the mugger?

And can you imagine a 64-year old Air force pilot racing across the skies with a Mig up his arse?
Old Oct 21st 2011, 5:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by HBG View Post
The same applies to the armed forces.

I think if you were waiting to be rescued from the roof of a burning house you would not want to see a 64-year old firemen making his unsteady way up the ladder. And if you've just been mugged, would you expect a 64-year old police officer to be running af
And can you imagine a 64-year old Air force pilot racing across the skies with a Mig up his arse?
A Police Officer can retire after 30 years of service at age 55 on a full pension. Many of them then go to work as a civilian for the same Police authority earning a second pension. Why cannot they just work on the "streets" until 55 and then move to a desk job until 65 plus like everyone else.
Old Oct 21st 2011, 6:41 pm
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chiclanagir View Post
A Police Officer can retire after 30 years of service at age 55 on a full pension. Many of them then go to work as a civilian for the same Police authority earning a second pension. Why cannot they just work on the "streets" until 55 and then move to a desk job until 65 plus like everyone else.
What difference does it make what they do??

Last edited by scampicat; Oct 21st 2011 at 6:43 pm.
Old Oct 21st 2011, 8:49 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

Those public service jobs that require a high degree of fitness to perform them, like fire officers, police officers, and soldiers, have a limited life span. We are all at our fittest between the ages of 25 and 35, and after 45 it's all downhill.

It's the same with footballers and boxers, they're on the scrapheap long before reaching 50 and make pension provisions accordingly.

Beckham won't be playing for England when he's 45, though he might be managing them.
Old Oct 21st 2011, 11:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

megmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond repute

Well it isn't minimal for me, I could take my Pension now, but I would lose about £500 a year for the rest of my life and some off the lump sum too, my pension is only about £2.5k a year before deductions, so i would like to wait until I can have it with NO deductions.

Each to their own choice!

(However, just checked and I will lose far less than this next August if I take it two years early (about 250 a year), so might review my financial situation then as we might needthe lump sum to get a new car!!)
I actually stopped work at 56 after an operation went wrong!
I should have been retired on ill health grounds and I should have received my full pension without deductions.
What actually happened was the LG medical examiner refused to accept the written evidence from my surgeon that I could no longer work.
Therefore I would have lost a great deal of MY money had I taken the pension at that point in time.

My financial advisor worked the break even point based on the persentages I would lose, he said that my best time to take it was at my official government retirement age of 60, that's what I did and had a 23% reduction of my lump sum payment and have lost 23% of my LG pension for the rest of my life....now all I have to do is live a very long time to get some of my money back!

What really p***es me off is the fact that I had transferred a large amount from a previous private pension into the fund, for which I paid the usual high charges, if I hadn't done that I could have had a full pension at age 50 without any loss.
Old Oct 22nd 2011, 7:43 am
Forum Regular

Arco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James View Post
Because that's the deal they are on!

I have a friend who joined the police as a cadet at 16. He retired at 46 having done the required 30 years service on a full pension. He was immediately re-employed in his old job as a civilian - he was the local crime prevention officer.

He did another 12 years in the job and got another pension on top!

No wonder so many people are complaining about public sector pensions!
I don't understand why people get into such a froth about public service pensions. After all, employees are required to pay into a superannuation scheme, i.e. a percentage of their salaries, and if they work for the required number of years, that money is tied up earning interest until they retire.

Most public employees do not enjoy the same level of remuneration and benefits as their privately-employed counterparts doing similar jobs.
So why the groundswell of negative feelings.....if I'm being naive here, perhaps someone can explain.
Old Oct 22nd 2011, 8:18 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Arco-Iris View Post
I don't understand why people get into such a froth about public service pensions. After all, employees are required to pay into a superannuation scheme, i.e. a percentage of their salaries, and if they work for the required number of years, that money is tied up earning interest until they retire.

Most public employees do not enjoy the same level of remuneration and benefits as their privately-employed counterparts doing similar jobs.
So why the groundswell of negative feelings.....if I'm being naive here, perhaps someone can explain.
Possibly because there are very many people who have not had the benefit of a company pension scheme or made their own arrangements to provide for their retirement.

When they see what some people receive as pensions they feel aggrieved that they don't get anything apart from the State pension. Of course the fact that they could have done something about it if they could be bothered is usually lost on them.

I used the policeman example just to show just how much some people can get. I don't have a problem with that personally. I had a contributory scheme for many years and when I left the company I took my pot with me and continued to invest in it. I retired at 50 and have been drawing a pension ever since.
Old Oct 22nd 2011, 9:33 am
BE Forum Addict

whitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Fred James View Post

When they see what some people receive as pensions they feel aggrieved that they don't get anything apart from the State pension. Of course the fact that they could have done something about it if they could be bothered is usually lost on them.
Hmmmmm, what about the many hundreds of thousands of people (including myself) in the private sector who were bothered and did do something only to have it stolen by the institutions and banks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.