Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

UK may catch up with Europe time

UK may catch up with Europe time

Old Oct 28th 2011, 9:34 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default UK may catch up with Europe time

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...nd-agrees.html

The clocks will go back this weekend to herald the end of British Summer Time.

But it might be for the last time, as moves are afoot to keep clocks wound forward by an hour for good from next year.

The final decision rests with Scotland - and those north of the border are against a move that would give them an extra hour of darkness in the morning.

The Government is poised to back plans for Britain's clocks to go forward by one hour all year round, with ministers set to support proposals that mean moving in line with Central European Time, for a trial period of three years.
Interesting idea. But who's going to force the Canary Isles into line?
Old Oct 28th 2011, 10:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

stuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK may catch up with Europe time

Isn't Portugal the same time as UK?
Old Oct 28th 2011, 10:16 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...nd-agrees.html

Interesting idea. But who's going to force the Canary Isles into line?
Why should they, they're too far West to match into C.Eu. time ?
Next thing you'll be wanting the USA to step into line as well.
I'm sure they wouldn't mind working nightime and sleeping through the day.

I recall the year we tried summertime through the winter.
I think maybe the Jocks had a point, as I didn't find the dark mornings too pleasant for starting work in the far North of England.
Old Oct 28th 2011, 11:39 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

too many years ago than I will admit, I was in Singapore which was 71/2 hours in front of GMT, but they have regularised this to be the same as the rest of the region and are now at GMT +8

Scotland say they wont change as it is dark all day now
Old Oct 28th 2011, 11:40 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
Next thing you'll be wanting the USA to step into line as well.I'm sure they wouldn't mind working nightime and sleeping through the day.

I think maybe the Jocks had a point, as I didn't find the dark mornings too pleasant for starting work in the far North of England.
Dick, if the Eu says they will do it then they will do it
Old Oct 29th 2011, 8:24 am
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
Next thing you'll be wanting the USA to step into line as well.
I'm sure they wouldn't mind working nightime and sleeping through the day.

Screw the Jocks. Let them have their own time zone. Evidence shows that darker in the morning would be safer for children leaving school in the afternoon were it lighter.

Personally, were I in the uK, I'd prefer summertime in the winter.
Old Oct 29th 2011, 8:36 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

I hate dark evenings so I hope it happens. Never going to please everyone though, Daughter says she prefers it as it is
Old Oct 29th 2011, 8:43 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

I think the Germans have the best idea - they tend to start work earlier, so they can finish earlier in the afternoon, and have the rest of the day free.
Old Oct 29th 2011, 9:22 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil
Screw the Jocks. Let them have their own time zone. Evidence shows that darker in the morning would be safer for children leaving school in the afternoon were it lighter.

Personally, were I in the uK, I'd prefer summertime in the winter.

But you're not in the UK so it aint your problem.

Just get back to chasing your Peado Priests and dodgy MPs, the Spanish ones I mean just for a change, I don't suppose they're in short supply either.

I'm not a kick of the backside of Jockland when in the UK and it wasn't so clever at my place last time they tried it, so it definitely can't be so good up John O Groats way.
As for the kids, they can't have it all ways.
In any event it's already reasonable light when they leave school now in Wintertime.
Changing the clocks would have them going to school in the dark on a morning, much worse IMO.
Starting work in the dark is no great fun either, it's depressing enough starting in daylight for most folk.
Old Oct 29th 2011, 9:59 am
BE Forum Addict

bxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond repute

I get so fedup of the attitude "screw the jocks " The consequences for Scotland as a whole, if it HAD to change, should be fully researched by the people with the opinion that it would make little difference.
Old Oct 29th 2011, 10:02 am
Not Banned (yet)

Can't Scotland have their own time zone, if they so wish? Other countries seem to manage this ok.
Old Oct 29th 2011, 10:08 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Seeing as Scotland looks likely to go independent they should be able to do what they want with the time.
Old Oct 29th 2011, 10:17 am
On the road again.

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
Can't Scotland have their own time zone, if they so wish? Other countries seem to manage this ok.
Why doesn't everywhere South of Watford Gap have it's own time zone and just leave the rest of us in peace ?
Old Oct 29th 2011, 10:57 am

looking at the time zone map
http://www.worldmapphotos.com/world-time-zones-map/ or alternatively http://www.jgiesen.de/astro/astroJS/timezone/index.htm
I cannot understand why there is so much shouting from north of the border.
Norway and Sweden are further north than Scotland and they seem to be able to live with being GMT +1 the same as the more southern Spain and Italy.
Finland on a similar latitude to them is GMT +2 because of its longitude.

quite honestly if Scotland want to be the same as Portugal then they need to leave the UK totally, stand on their own two feet and live without the subsidies they get from the rest of the UK that allows them to have free medical and education at the expense of the rest of us.
In the mean time they need to lose their right to vote on English matters whilst denying the English the right to vote on Scotish matters.

Remember that the disasterous Blair years were founded on Scottish MP's.
Old Oct 29th 2011, 11:25 am
On the road again.

Originally Posted by Domino
looking at the time zone map
http://www.worldmapphotos.com/world-time-zones-map/ or alternatively http://www.jgiesen.de/astro/astroJS/timezone/index.htm
I cannot understand why there is so much shouting from north of the border.
Norway and Sweden are further north than Scotland and they seem to be able to live with being GMT +1 the same as the more southern Spain and Italy.
Finland on a similar latitude to them is GMT +2 because of its longitude.

quite honestly if Scotland want to be the same as Portugal then they need to leave the UK totally, stand on their own two feet and live without the subsidies they get from the rest of the UK that allows them to have free medical and education at the expense of the rest of us.
In the mean time they need to lose their right to vote on English matters whilst denying the English the right to vote on Scotish matters.

Remember that the disasterous Blair years were founded on Scottish MP's.
Once you get so far up into Scandinavia it's irrelevant how you set the clocks.
No option but to go to work and school in the dark and come back home in the dark during mid Winter.

I agree with much of what you say about Scotland, it's all been about winning votes for the Labour party and pretty well irrelevant for the Tories.
Has there ever been such a waste of money and total fiasco as the Scottish parliament ?
I mean the building itself, though I suppose you could include the clowns inside it as well.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.