UK TV IN SPAIN - STATEMENT PLEASE

UK TV IN SPAIN - STATEMENT PLEASE

Old Mar 22nd 2013, 9:28 am
Banned

BAT7311 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: UK TV IN SPAIN - STATEMENT PLEASE

Originally Posted by Dxf
hola bat7311,

No matter what you say, I for one am going to wait to see what happens. I will also bide my time as I don´t believe that there is sufficient bandwidth for everyone to watch Coronation Street for example using the internet.

I am quite happy to be proved wrong - but in July / August or September when everything has shaken down.

Davexf
96,000,000 people watch NCIS live on CBS.COM every week at the same time
Old Mar 22nd 2013, 9:30 am
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BAT7311
sky is a commercial company not a state so it has CONTRACTS .thats what we have been talking about the ECJ judgement that SKY CAN BE WATCHED LEGALLY ANYWHERE IN THE 27 .(SNIP)
anymore
It just so happens that SKY (same company) is the premier payTV broadcaster in Germany, too. But they don't broadcast UK content. If you think there wouldn't be any demand, consider that there are thousands and thousands of "under the table" Sky >UK< subscribers in Germany, and a large percentage of them are Germans!

Sky would benefit greatly by "legitimately" offering their UK content in places like Germany or Spain, but the contracts with the studios and sports clubs for broadcast rights prevent them from doing so. They are obliged to make every reasonable effort to prevent say, a movie or a football game broadcast in the UK, from being readily received in Spain or Germany or anywhere else, even though they benefit from their signal being available outside their contracted broadcast area.

IF CBS doesn't mind broadcasting NCIS to anybody anywhere, then that's their decision. They own the content.

Satellite providers like Astra could easily broaden their beam to include all of Europe, but that's not what their customers (the broadcasters) require. So as the new satellites are put up, they use increasingly better technologies to "focus" the beam into specific regions that the broadcasters ask for, so that it requires more expensive kit and fewer viewers outside the beam are likely to receive it, and therefore, the broadcasters can demonstrate their efforts to meet their contractual obligations.

But it will never be perfect, and there will always be a way to receive it, if you're willing to pay for the monster kit to do it.

EDIT: And yes, it is a breach of contract to receive it outside the UK. The legality of it, however, is a bit fuzzier. The signal from these broadcasts are indeed landing on your property in Spain, and I'm not a lawyer, but I believe that if it lands on your property, you may legally receive the free to air broadcasts, as long as you are not illegally subverting any proprietary encryption to protect pay broadcasts.

The internet is a different story, since in most cases, some third-party entity knowingly broadcasts the content in violation of the content owner's rights, which I'd expect would be legally considered a type of copyright violation.

Last edited by amideislas; Mar 22nd 2013 at 11:29 am.
Old Mar 22nd 2013, 9:42 am
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

For SkyGO you need a UK address for your Sky contract so once again we are in that dodgy area of infringing your contract with Sky if you live abroad.
They do switch users off and will refuse connections if they believe that the receiver is not in the UK.
Old Mar 22nd 2013, 9:43 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Not my words.....

May I say, from the outset, that obtaining Sky TV programmes outside the UK is actually illegal - but, judging from the number of bars with big screens showing Sky Sports, this problem can obviously be surmounted

I'll say again: this is illegal. True, BSkyB tend to turn a blind eye to it, but it's still up to you if you want to do it - and I stress that The Tenerife Information Centre is not endorsing this practice in any way. (In fact, in March, 2009, the Spanish authorities announced that they consider British Sky TV programmes illegal in Spain and will confiscate receivers and Sky cards. See the Important Notice, below.)
but taken from
http://www.tenerife-information-cent...-tenerife.html

This also refers to some legal action takin in 2009. Yes time has moved on as has the technology. But the legal precendent is there. At some point someone somewhere is going to jump on the use of the internet, vpn's and IP blockers to obtain something to which they are not entitled....
Old Mar 22nd 2013, 9:57 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amideislas
It just so happens that SKY (same company) is the premier payTV broadcaster in Germany, too. But they don't broadcast UK content. If you think there wouldn't be any demand, consider that there are thousands and thousands of "under the table" Sky >UK< subscribers in Germany, and a large percentage of them are Germans!

Sky would benefit greatly by "legitimately" offering their UK content in places like Germany or Spain, but the contracts with the studios and sports clubs for broadcast rights prevent them from doing so. They are obliged to make every reasonable effort to prevent say, a movie or a football game broadcast in the UK, from being readily received in Spain or Germany or anywhere else, even though they benefit from their signal being available outside their contracted broadcast area.

IF CBS doesn't mind broadcasting NCIS to anybody anywhere, then that's their decision. They own the content.

Satellite providers like Astra could easily broaden their beam to include all of Europe, but that's not what their customers (the broadcasters) require. So as the new satellites are put up, they use increasingly better technologies to "focus" the beam into specific regions that the broadcasters ask for, so that it requires more expensive kit and fewer viewers outside the beam are likely to receive it, and therefore, the broadcasters can demonstrate their efforts to meet their contractual obligations.

But it will never be perfect, and there will always be a way to receive it, if you're willing to pay for the monster kit to do it.
I would point out that CBS have very clearly defined views on their rights and have taken legal action against FILMON (an internet provider) as have NBC, ABC and FOX
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FilmOn
As I am sure you would have if you had spent the past 8years or so (and many many $millions) putting progs like NCIS at the top of the world wide league tables.

addnl - Fox is owned by News Corporation, who own Sky.

Last edited by Domino; Mar 22nd 2013 at 10:41 am. Reason: Addnl note
Old Mar 22nd 2013, 10:39 am

I have this morning spoken to Sky who have emphatically stated that Sky, Sky Go and other services within the group are UK only and they do not have any arrangements with anyone to provide their services in Spain. It was also emphasised that if I was offered their products in Spain I should think very carefully before accepting.

Tech Note - I did not say where in Spain I lived, the call was made on Skype so not traceable and when asked by their automated system for my telephone number I gave a dummy number on the 0203 exchange.
No animals were injured or used in this exercise
Old Mar 22nd 2013, 11:08 am
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

96,000,000 people watch NCIS live on CBS.COM every week at the same time
Yes but they don´t all live in the same place - i.e. Spain - will the Spanish system be able to cope??? And will my local Movistar have sufficient bandwidth for MY town?

It is the local bandwidths that I fear may not be able to cope; if you live halfway up a mountain, and get internet through a landline, will the cables take what is required for fulltime TV viewing? That is my doubt

But I am very happy to be proved wrong

Davexf
Old Mar 22nd 2013, 11:43 am
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dxf
Yes but they don´t all live in the same place - i.e. Spain - will the Spanish system be able to cope??? And will my local Movistar have sufficient bandwidth for MY town?

It is the local bandwidths that I fear may not be able to cope; if you live halfway up a mountain, and get internet through a landline, will the cables take what is required for fulltime TV viewing? That is my doubt

Davexf
Telefonica offers full time TV via internet. We had it for a while, but it didn't work most of the time, so after the contract expired, we cancelled it. Just another expensive but useless Telefonica experiment.
Old Mar 22nd 2013, 12:00 pm
Forum Regular

Agnes is an unknown quantity at this point

Just come across this website http://www.uktvchiclana.com/
Old Mar 22nd 2013, 12:08 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Another one after your money, where will the back up be if your internet service will not support the equipment will you get a refund.
As the previous poster said potentially another set of useless equipment.
Old Mar 22nd 2013, 12:18 pm

I think it is exceedingly adventurous of someone trained to the dizzy heights in the use of Microsoft software to venture out and try to emulate Alki David, who is (currently) supposed to be worth $1.7billion.

Agnes, I hope that Colin Wood isn't a relative.

`
Old Mar 22nd 2013, 12:20 pm
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

I have read through the site and it does make the point that your contract with your ISP, and the ISP´s ability so supply the bandwidth, is outside of their control and therefore not their responsibility.

I reiterate - The wise money will wait to see what happens.

Davexf
Old Mar 22nd 2013, 12:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

bxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dxf

Davexf
hehehehe
Old Mar 22nd 2013, 2:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Saxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to behold

there is no doubt TVCATCHUP is toast !!! ...taking bets on the others ...
TVCatchup is still going
Old Mar 22nd 2013, 10:52 pm
Banned

BAT7311 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by amideislas

EDIT: And yes, it is a breach of contract to receive it outside the UK. The legality of it, however, is a bit fuzzier. The signal from these broadcasts are indeed landing on your property in Spain, and I'm not a lawyer, but I believe that if it lands on your property, you may legally receive the free to air broadcasts, as long as you are not illegally subverting any proprietary encryption to protect pay broadcasts.

The internet is a different story, since in most cases, some third-party entity knowingly broadcasts the content in violation of the content owner's rights, which I'd expect would be legally considered a type of copyright violation.
IT IS NOT ILLEGALLY TO WATCH SKY OUTSIDE THE UK - that is the past
NEW ruling has made it legal ...
BSKYB and SKY DE are entirely different companies .
CBS are one of the major networks in the USA - NCIS, MENTALIST,BIG BANG
they post all there programs free on the internet 8 days after its shown on tv ...so much for protection .....
it seems to me that the internet has moved the world on and for some reason a lot of people are not aware of it ...maybe its the 4G gap

Last edited by BAT7311; Mar 22nd 2013 at 10:56 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.