The UK

Old Sep 30th 2010, 2:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud of
Default Re: The UK

Originally Posted by Bigger Jim
The average cost of 45 cans of 440 ml is at the moment £20.00 in the main supermarkets and these are well known brands which included Carlsberg.
I walked around all our supermarkets in my town this morning and Tesco was selling Qty 3 x 15 can slabs (440 ml size cans) at £20.00. The others were similar.

This works out at 45 cans at £20 which works out at approx 60 Spanish 330ml cans. So at 50 cents each you get more beer for your buck in the UK.

Jim

Last edited by Bigger Jim; Sep 30th 2010 at 2:38 pm.
Old Sep 30th 2010, 3:50 pm
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by licinius
Why would you buy your veg from a supermarket? Try a local greengrocers & taste the difference

They are usually worse (albeit cheaper) than those we get from the supermarket as regards going mouldy and don't taste any different.
Old Sep 30th 2010, 4:28 pm
Forum Regular

reggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud of

Its interesting to note that "Bread Makers" are one of the most common items on Car Boot sales and they are almost given away rather than sold. In the end, like a lot of kitchen appliances they are just too much trouble unless you are a real fanatic with long suffering friends.

It would seem that this bread everyone seems to be raving about, is not made with traditional Spanish flour but rather one that is closer, if not the same, to that which UK bread is made from.

Jim
True but the reason they may be there is like anything else it may be the operator who is not really that good. Believe it or not it is possible to screw up bread machine bread; alternatively it can also be incredibly delicious.
Old Sep 30th 2010, 4:35 pm
Jur

Jur is an unknown quantity at this point

Its interesting to note that "Bread Makers" are one of the most common items on Car Boot sales and they are almost given away rather than sold. In the end, like a lot of kitchen appliances they are just too much trouble unless you are a real fanatic with long suffering friends.

It would seem that this bread everyone seems to be raving about, is not made with traditional Spanish flour but rather one that is closer, if not the same, to that which UK bread is made from.

Jim
It´s not really a hassle, chuck in the flour and some water and an hour late you´ve got yourself a bread which lasts 2-3 days if you keep it under a teatowel. Flour from Lidl!
Old Sep 30th 2010, 5:30 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

I've been using a Panasonic bread-maker in Spain for 10 years and it is great for basic bread. We like toast in the morning and Spanish bread is usually the wrong shape except for the awful Pan de Molde which is too sweet.

We buy our flour from the local baker but normal Spanish flour works OK as it is a much harder flour than UK flour. In the UK you need to buy bread flour as it is strong flour - the ordinary flour is not so good.

Apart from that bread we love the other Spanish breads - just as big a selection as you can get in the UK.
Old Sep 30th 2010, 6:05 pm
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by whitelinen
You may be in the minority given that IMO people who smoke and drink a lot probably lost their ability to taste years ago and use their eyes to taste things. I don't smoke and although I do drink it's only a couple of glasses of wine like Spaniards do!

The ability to taste and smell diminishes with age I am 60 and female ,apparently more with women, however, I have noticed over the years that some men are not very choosey about what they eat, eating anything and everything. If their taste buds were working that would not be the case.

Also when walking around a supermarket (not something I do that often) around a third of the shoppers stink like a sewer. Another ten percent smell like they do fry ups with their coats on. I doubt if any of them have any sense of taste as would have lost it when their sense of smell went.
See my comments in blue above.

I use fresh ingredients and very rarely use convenience food. I still think UK supermarkets are far superior to Spanish ones and the markets in our parts at least do not have loads of these wonderful fruit and veg that people keep sighing over, it is no different to the stuff in the supermarkets.
Old Sep 30th 2010, 7:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

licinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scampicat
They are usually worse (albeit cheaper) than those we get from the supermarket as regards going mouldy and don't taste any different.
Well I can assure you the quality of fruit & veg in Alhaurin is the best I have ever seen in my life! Nobody in their right mind would buy fresh produce from a supermarket here.
Old Sep 30th 2010, 7:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

whitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by scampicat
See my comments in blue above.

I use fresh ingredients and very rarely use convenience food. I still think UK supermarkets are far superior to Spanish ones and the markets in our parts at least do not have loads of these wonderful fruit and veg that people keep sighing over, it is no different to the stuff in the supermarkets.
No sorry, I didnt mean you, I agree with you

I went out after writing the above and didnt check it and have just look at it and no longer edit it.

I too think that UK supermarkets are far superior to Spanish ones, I was trying to say that many Brits in Spain have no sense of taste and are probably the ones who say its all so luverly! Your friend for instance?

I also meant that a third of customers in Brit supermarkets stink like skunks unlike those who shop where I live near Valencia (mainly women). where its only a small amount (usually men)
Old Oct 1st 2010, 6:12 am
BE Enthusiast

licinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by whitelinen
I too think that UK supermarkets are far superior to Spanish ones
I just can't believe the fuss about supermarkets, I'd much rather pay a bit more for something nice
Old Oct 1st 2010, 6:38 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

I just can't believe the fuss about supermarkets, I'd much rather pay a bit more for something nice
As with all things you can find better quality supermarkets (in the UK for instance Sainsburys or Waitrose). You do have to be careful with the cheaper variety - the boss of Asda let the cat out of the bag recently when he admited they sold poor quality produce.

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/news/ar...4&in_page_id=2

The new boss of Asda admitted the quality of the supermarket food has not been as good as it could be.

Andy Clarke, who was elevated to the top job at Britain's second biggest grocer in May, attacked strategies implemented by his predecessor Andy Bond as Asda recorded a second straight quarter of falling sales.
Old Oct 1st 2010, 6:54 am
Ex Expat

But that's what I'm trying to say, the produce ISN'T particularly nice, wherever you get it from, imho.
Old Oct 1st 2010, 7:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Bigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
As with all things you can find better quality supermarkets (in the UK for instance Sainsburys or Waitrose). You do have to be careful with the cheaper variety
My wife used to be a QA inspector at a chicken processing plant in the UK that supplied fresh chicken to all the Supermarket chains.

Contrary to what many of you seem to believe they all received the same product just labelled and priced differently.

Jim
Old Oct 1st 2010, 7:33 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

My wife used to be a QA inspector at a chicken processing plant in the UK that supplied fresh chicken to all the Supermarket chains.

Contrary to what many of you seem to believe they all received the same product just labelled and priced differently.

Jim
While I agree, I will also say that the likes of Waitrose also have their own farms and go a long way to source very high quality meat.
Old Oct 1st 2010, 8:06 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Jim
I've worked for a company that supplied food products (mainly sandwiches wraps etc) to different supermarkets. I can assure you that the standards imposed by the "higher value" supermarkets were of a different scale to that of the mass market like Tesco or Somerfield. In fact the company refused to supply Marks and Spencer, as they knew they couldn't meet the strict requirement. So no, I know from personal experience that it's not just the same product, at least for certain product ranges.
Old Oct 1st 2010, 9:19 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rotor
Most of the UK fruit and veg is from Spain!
And are loaded onto a vehicle, put in a warehouse, loaded onto an international truck, trucked for 2 days, loaded into another warehouse and / or delivered to the supermarket who finally get it onto the shelves. Nice fresh food.

Originally Posted by jackytoo
Stevie seems to live in a different UK than most people
I bought 6 x 330ml bottles last night in Tesco's, £7.70.

It is amazing how different the points of views are. I was in Spain .. shopping ... a week ago. Now I'm in the UK shopping. I can see the difference. I'm just suprised at some of the comments on here and assume some are wind up's.

If I could, I'd go down to tesco's later and take a picture of the fish / cheese and meat counters ... and then go to Murky when I get back and do the same. Just to prove that a local Supermarket near me in a working class town has a better selection of fish etc than the mighty Tesco's in a very upmarket area of Solihull. But I know I'd probably get arrested so I can't.

Not doing much other than visiting friends I have probably spent the best part of £500 this last week in cash alone. The other night in a pub restaurant 7 of us spent £200 on a meal. The round of drinks on top of that, 3 Peroni and a class of wine was iirc £18. Petrol has gone up again today, I filled up the other day and it was the best part of £60. The road tax on the car will be £112 ... for 6 months (as opposed to €100 per annum in Spain). The Council tax on my abode here in the UK ... £850 pa as opposed to €400 for a larger place in Spain.

I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news ... and I'm not knocking the UK because I still love the country, but the CB North is a far far cheaper place to live then the good old UK. Maybe the CDS is more expensive, and that would explain some comments, I dont know.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.