The UK

Old Oct 1st 2010, 12:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

licinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The UK

Originally Posted by scampicat
But that's what I'm trying to say, the produce ISN'T particularly nice, wherever you get it from, imho.
It must be just where you live then Scampi cos the fruit & veg at the greengrocers where I live is far far far superior to anything the supermarkets slop up.
Old Oct 1st 2010, 1:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond repute

My wifes cooking taste much better in the UK than Spain and that must be down to the quality of the ingredients.
Old Oct 1st 2010, 3:38 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
And are loaded onto a vehicle, put in a warehouse, loaded onto an international truck, trucked for 2 days, loaded into another warehouse and / or delivered to the supermarket who finally get it onto the shelves. Nice fresh food.

I bought 6 x 330ml bottles last night in Tesco's, £7.70.

It is amazing how different the points of views are. I was in Spain .. shopping ... a week ago. Now I'm in the UK shopping. I can see the difference. I'm just suprised at some of the comments on here and assume some are wind up's.

If I could, I'd go down to tesco's later and take a picture of the fish / cheese and meat counters ... and then go to Murky when I get back and do the same. Just to prove that a local Supermarket near me in a working class town has a better selection of fish etc than the mighty Tesco's in a very upmarket area of Solihull. But I know I'd probably get arrested so I can't.

Not doing much other than visiting friends I have probably spent the best part of £500 this last week in cash alone. The other night in a pub restaurant 7 of us spent £200 on a meal. The round of drinks on top of that, 3 Peroni and a class of wine was iirc £18. Petrol has gone up again today, I filled up the other day and it was the best part of £60. The road tax on the car will be £112 ... for 6 months (as opposed to €100 per annum in Spain). The Council tax on my abode here in the UK ... £850 pa as opposed to €400 for a larger place in Spain.

I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news ... and I'm not knocking the UK because I still love the country, but the CB North is a far far cheaper place to live then the good old UK. Maybe the CDS is more expensive, and that would explain some comments, I dont know.
For those thinking of heading back to the UK, and who hope their children will go to University, here's a sobering report:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/ed...d-2094520.html

Students in England will be paying more for a public university degree course than those anywhere else in the world if fees rise to £5,000 a year, according to research published today.

The inquiry into student finance headed by the former BP boss Lord Browne, which reports in less than two weeks, is expected to recommend moving towards a market in university fees – which would mean doubling the present levy to £7,000 a year.
I've always been a little puzzled as to why UK students don't do their degree in the Netherlands (where I'm given to understand many courses are in English). Maybe doing that puts them at a disadvantage of finding a graduate job??
Old Oct 1st 2010, 6:57 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Or study in Germany or France for that matter...just seems strange that despite all the stories of "media studies" type degrees, and the high cost, and stories of graduates unable to spell or add up, applications to UK universities keeps rising

http://about-france.com/study.htm
Old Oct 1st 2010, 7:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

elspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud of

The last time I was in London I was horrified to find that you needed to be machine literate just to get on a train or a bus in central London I was so terrified of losing my money or my mind that I ended up walking everywhere and then when fainting with exhaustion it cost me a fiver for a tiny pot of tea and a bun. I prayed every day, Please God get me safely home to Spain.
Old Oct 1st 2010, 7:06 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Ooooo. I feel a thread coming on......
Old Oct 1st 2010, 7:07 pm
Not Banned (yet)

Originally Posted by elspeth sinclair
The last time I was in London I was horrified to find that you needed to be machine literate just to get on a train or a bus in central London I was so terrified of losing my money or my mind that I ended up walking everywhere and then when fainting with exhaustion it cost me a fiver for a tiny pot of tea and a bun. I prayed every day, Please God get me safely home to Spain.
Just like Madrid or Barcelona, things are a lot easier if you get hold of a travelcard (Oystercard in London). I don't think things are that much harder (if at all) in the Uk capital - get hold of a pay-as-you-go Oyster card at any station and you're away! Not really much difference to a multi-trip ticket in Madrid for example. Ok, a lot more expensive, but that's British public transport for you.
Old Oct 1st 2010, 7:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

whitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by cricketman
Go to Hipercor then.

Spain is great for artesan, local produce and pretty rubbish for mass produced processed food!

How many Hipercors are there?

There is 1 in Valencia, where is the next one............ Madrid?

As for locally grown produce all I see here are oranges, more oranges oh and oranges.

Only the unemployed or retired have time to schlepp around looking for market stalls so UK does beat Spain for choice and variety of foods with the amount of UK supermarkets available to either go to or have deliver food. The ones I use all sell organic fruit and vegetable which smell and taste good and are pennies dearer than other stuff. Also many small producers sell their stuff online so fresh food ordered before 6 one day is delivered in cold boxes the next morning.
Old Oct 1st 2010, 7:21 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by whitelinen
How many Hipercors are there?

There is 1 in Valencia, where is the next one............ Madrid?

As for locally grown produce all I see here are oranges, more oranges oh and oranges.

Only the unemployed or retired have time to schlepp around looking for market stalls so UK does beat Spain for choice and variety of foods with the amount of UK supermarkets available to either go to or have deliver food. The ones I use all sell organic fruit and vegetable which smell and taste good and are pennies dearer than other stuff. Also many small producers sell their stuff online so fresh food ordered before 6 one day is delivered in cold boxes the next morning.
I don't care if UK supermarkets are giving free blow jobs on purchases over 1 pound sterling, and a typical food bill for a week is 20 pounds. I'd rather schlepp around the Spanish ones. The only personal smells I notice are the over strong soap smell on a lot of people, indicating to me that people overlook the concept that personal fragrances should be subtle. I can find good fruit and veg, and there is enough variety to keep me happy, even if they don't stock 1,000 varieties of each product as tescos might. The seafood is infinitely better, and while the clothing might not be as easy as shopping in tesco, well, I'll send the OH back a couple of times a year to rectify that.
Old Oct 1st 2010, 7:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

licinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond repute

Only the unemployed or retired have time to schlepp around looking for market stalls
Is that a fact??????? What about those of us who value our quality of life & refuse to work ourselves into an early grave???
Old Oct 1st 2010, 7:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

whitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by bil
I don't care if UK supermarkets are giving free blow jobs on purchases over 1 pound sterling.

Now I know you are telling porkies.
Old Oct 1st 2010, 7:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bil
I don't care if UK supermarkets are giving free blow jobs on purchases over 1 pound sterling, and a typical food bill for a week is 20 pounds. I'd rather schlepp around the Spanish ones. The only personal smells I notice are the over strong soap smell on a lot of people, indicating to me that people overlook the concept that personal fragrances should be subtle. I can find good fruit and veg, and there is enough variety to keep me happy, even if they don't stock 1,000 varieties of each product as tescos might. The seafood is infinitely better, and while the clothing might not be as easy as shopping in tesco, well, I'll send the OH back a couple of times a year to rectify that.
Very well said that man, as for the clothes shopping, have you not heard of the internet?
Old Oct 1st 2010, 7:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by licinius
Is that a fact??????? What about those of us who value our quality of life & refuse to work ourselves into an early grave???

Unfortunately working till pension age and beyond is the lot of the majority of folk.

Let them eat cake.
Old Oct 1st 2010, 7:32 pm
Not Banned (yet)

Unfortunately working till pension age and beyond is the lot of the majority of folk.
I think high unemployment has got rid of that particular "curse". And until our currency crashes against the Indian/Chinese, and their workers cost the same as ours, it isn't going to change. Regardless of how many initiatives the Government launches against the poor as punishment for being poor and not bankers.
Old Oct 1st 2010, 7:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Unfortunately working till pension age and beyond is the lot of the majority of folk
Life is for living not working! I could easily double my salary working longer hours, but that would mean having a lesser quality of life. I might not be the richest man in the street but I'd rather relax & schlepp around the market than graft my life away.

Sorry for being pedantic, but I had to point out that just because we can spend our afternoons loitering doesn't mean we're on the dole!

Here endeth today's rant

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.