The UK

Old Oct 2nd 2010, 8:27 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The UK

Originally Posted by scampicat
lynnxa

I'm obviously on the WRONG side of the mountain!

nope - that would be montgomail
Old Oct 2nd 2010, 8:42 am
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynnxa

nope - that would be montgomail

I am in the Sierra Nevada mountains in Granada Province.

Granada is on the north side. I am on the south.

Therefore, the 'wrong' side of the mountain!

(Although it is very beautiful, see the link below if you are interested.

http://www.andalucia.com/villages/alpujarras.htm

I live in the village of Yegen, mentioned in the link )
Old Oct 2nd 2010, 8:55 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

I am in the Sierra Nevada mountains in Granada Province.

Granada is on the north side. I am on the south.

Therefore, the 'wrong' side of the mountain!

(Although it is very beautiful, see the link below if you are interested.

http://www.andalucia.com/villages/alpujarras.htm

I live in the village of Yegen, mentioned in the link )
the south side can never be the wrong side

I just googled some pics of Yegen - it does look lovely, but a bit remote for me with a teen & a nearly teen

oh - & I can't drive
Old Oct 2nd 2010, 9:07 am
BE Enthusiast

lyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this point

We have lived here two years now. Just a few thoughts. I find the general shop cheaper than in the UK (was in Cheshire) provided I shop around.
Being in the campo close to Torrox I have quick access to 5 supermarkets and a slightly longer journey to Nerja. The two Mercradonnas are far and away the busiest and in general their fresh produce is good, fresh and lasts. Turnover methinks.
Some of the others are usually quiet - Supersol is one, it has a vast range of 'fresh' produce, no customers to speak of, is expensive by comparison, and is the place for rotting veg.
So I think, as someone has said earlier it's to do with location.
I like the way produce is not available out of season, strawberries for instance, yes I know I can still find them, imported, but at a high premium compared to the glut earlier in the year.
I Like going to the local small shop and being followed in by a farmer delivering his local Potatoes, figs, grapes, tomatoes etc. all fresh. Don't get that in Wilmslow !
Definitely not going back.
Old Oct 2nd 2010, 9:58 am
BE Forum Addict

johnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=lynnxa;8890816]or the bisto (or other similar 'helpers')

and a while for our tastebuds to adapt

Thats alright if you don't split your time in UK/Spain.

We (well the wife actually) also bring over the add-ins that she uses in the UK and by her own admission her meals are not as good.
Last winter when she was over on her own she made a rabbit stew and threw the lot away as it was tasteless.
It must be down to the quality of the produce. Perhaps we go to the wrong shop, but the threads been well covered.
Old Oct 2nd 2010, 10:57 am
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elspeth sinclair
There's always the rumage stall at the market . Designer labels usually 2 for 5 euros and often brand new and a million stalls for underwear. really trendy good quality, or plain boring usually 3 pairs for five euros so no need to go naked.
Never seen a rummage stall round here.
Old Oct 2nd 2010, 12:26 pm
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute

the south side can never be the wrong side

I just googled some pics of Yegen - it does look lovely, but a bit remote for me with a teen & a nearly teen

oh - & I can't drive
http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgur...w=1280&bih=639

This photo is of the top of our little lane, our house is halfway down. Our scooter is outside!
Old Oct 2nd 2010, 12:29 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil
Never seen a rummage stall round here.
2 Thongs for a euro on a Benidorm market rummage stall last time I was there.
Just a pity they didn't have my size.
Got our lass kitted out ok though.
Old Oct 2nd 2010, 12:39 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgur...w=1280&bih=639

This photo is of the top of our little lane, our house is halfway down. Our scooter is outside!
You gotta be pretty darn fit to live up in them thar hills.
The street looks a bit familiar, but there again there are many others fairly similar in the various villages up there.
Shall have to check through my photos, as I'm sure I have a one just like it.
Apart from the unusual chimney pots,another thing I remember well is the red geraniums just about everywhere.
Old Oct 2nd 2010, 12:42 pm
Ex Expat

Sorry all for going off-topic, but our area of Spain is not terribly well-kmown considering it is just inland from the Costa Tropical and not far from the Costa del Sol - just wanted people to see how beautiful it is, albeit remote - and why we don't have a choice of supermarkets!
Old Oct 2nd 2010, 1:12 pm
On the road again.

Sorry all for going off-topic, but our area of Spain is not terribly well-kmown considering it is just inland from the Costa Tropical and not far from the Costa del Sol - just wanted people to see how beautiful it is, albeit remote - and why we don't have a choice of supermarkets!
Some interesting ones in litle villages up remote backtracks.
One I recall just looked like a large garage from outside with no signs up at all.
Went inside and there was everything from bags of cement to fruit and veg randomly scattered around the floor and trestle tables.
Other remote villages seemed completely deserted until a travelling shop drove in and the whole population suddenly came flooding out together onto the streets.
Seemed like it was the main social occasion of the whole week.
Old Oct 2nd 2010, 1:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

I've been around there a couple of times for weekend breaks. The food in the villages is amazing! I remember the cabrito being spectacular and the carne guisada.

We went canyoning one weekend, it was incredible and another time we went around all the villages in the Alpujarras, bought a nice jamon and a hand-made rug

It is the middle of nowhere, so you cant expect supermarkets. Obviously, you'd have known that before you moved there.
Old Oct 2nd 2010, 1:42 pm
Ex Expat

Originally Posted by cricketman
I've been around there a couple of times for weekend breaks. The food in the villages is amazing! I remember the cabrito being spectacular and the carne guisada.

We went canyoning one weekend, it was incredible and another time we went around all the villages in the Alpujarras, bought a nice jamon and a hand-made rug

It is the middle of nowhere, so you cant expect supermarkets. Obviously, you'd have known that before you moved there.
Yes we did know that of course, we wanted to live in one of the villages, so that was the price we paid for beautiful quirkiness.

Some of the food is lovely. I particularly like papas a lo pobre (poor man's potatoes) and the black pudding sausage (can't remember what it's called!) and carne en salsa. Not terribly struck on jamon I must admit, which considering it is one of the traditional delicacies of this area is rather unfortunate. I don't like olives either.

We have the fish man, bread man, fruit and veg man and gas man, all mobile shops serving the villages. Sometimes the knicker man calls as well and spreads his wares all over my friend's rejas.

We have a couple of Alpujarreno rugs and curtains

We get many tourists here, mainly walkers, backpackers, climbers or mountain bikers, occasionally horseriders.

And because our house is in Calle Gerald Brenan on the Ruta de Gerald Brenan we often get tourists coming down our lane looking for his house (which is actually in Calle Real). Many times we've had Spanish, German or Scandinavian tourists ask us where it is. No Brits though, they don't seem to have heard of him despite him being one of the first British expats in these parts!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerald_Brenan

But supermarkets? We have Leo's Mercado which sells everything from food and groceries to building materials and firewood. Otherwise we drive for three quarters of an hour to Berja where we can choose from a Mercadona or an Aldi!

Last edited by scampicat; Oct 2nd 2010 at 1:51 pm.
Old Oct 2nd 2010, 2:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

elspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud of

or the bisto (or other similar 'helpers')

some ingredients that your wife - or I - might use regularly in the UK aren't as readily available here

I even had someone bring several HUGE tubs of bisto granules over

we can now get most - including bisto - where I live

but for several years we couldn't get that sort of thing & it took me a while to adapt my cooking to what I could get

and a while for our tastebuds to adapt

cottage pie without an oxo cube took a bit of doing - but I got there in the end

then they opened an Iceland in my town & all was available at a reasonable price & I and every English mum I know went mad buying all those things we missed

& yes, I do have Bisto in the cupboard - I looked at it yesterday & it's a solid lump in the tub through lack of use

I must admit that Bisto powder is something I couldn't live without and like the tubs it now comes in but I don't like the granules and I hate oxo cubes. I can now buy my Bisto in the village bar on a Saturday morning or indeed any British food you could possibly want.
Old Oct 2nd 2010, 2:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

I particularly like papas a lo pobre (poor man's potatoes) and the black pudding sausage (can't remember what it's called!)
¿morcilla?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.