The UK

Old Oct 1st 2010, 9:31 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The UK

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
a very upmarket area of Solihull.
Isn't that an oxymoron?
Old Oct 1st 2010, 9:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
Isn't that an oxymoron?
Didn`t a chap from Solihull once say "I'm considerably richer than yow"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8Kum8OUTuk
Old Oct 1st 2010, 10:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Bigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud of

And are loaded onto a vehicle, put in a warehouse, loaded onto an international truck, trucked for 2 days, loaded into another warehouse and / or delivered to the supermarket who finally get it onto the shelves. Nice fresh food.

A lot of the fruit is still not ready for eating and has to be ripened at home how fresh do you want it, totally unripe and inedible.

I bought 6 x 330ml bottles last night in Tesco's, £7.70.

You have my sympathy however if you want it cheap then you need to buy in bulk. Both Tescos and Morrisons have the same offer of - Qty 3 slabs of a variety of beers, including Carlsberg, which works out at 45 x (440 ml) cans

Jim
Old Oct 1st 2010, 10:12 am
BE Forum Addict

whitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to behold

If I could, I'd go down to tesco's later and take a picture of the fish / cheese and meat counters ... and then go to Murky when I get back and do the same. Just to prove that a local Supermarket near me in a working class town has a better selection of fish etc than the mighty Tesco's in a very upmarket area of Solihull. But I know I'd probably get arrested so I can't.

Talk about talking about the price of fish today

The eating habits of the 2 nations are different, Spanish eat a lot of fish,
English dont.

As for the cheese counter, IMHO our local Mercadonas have a lot of bland tasteless cheese and no French or other countries cheeses, however the choice in say tesco and Waitrose is far superior.......size isnt everything
Old Oct 1st 2010, 10:19 am
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by whitelinen
Talk about talking about the price of fish today

English dont.

As for the cheese counter, IMHO our local Mercadonas have a lot of bland tasteless cheese and no French or other countries cheeses, however the choice in say tesco and Waitrose is far superior.......size isnt everything
Once again I agree with whitelinen, a sensible answer.

As for eating out, the local carvery within five minute's walk of my UK house charges £3.59 for a carvery meal (roast with as many vegetables as you like, including second helpings) in the daytime and £4.99 in the evening. I don't think you will get cheaper than that in Spain (and then it's a plate of prawns and nothing else). Even the menus del dia round here are now 7 euros.
Old Oct 1st 2010, 10:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

And are loaded onto a vehicle, put in a warehouse, loaded onto an international truck, trucked for 2 days, loaded into another warehouse and / or delivered to the supermarket who finally get it onto the shelves. Nice fresh food.
Bit like the tons of of "fresh Spanish" seafood that starts it's life in Scotland. Also if you went to Milford Haven fishmarket, you'd see container lorries from Spain, nearly all the fish goes there. Here you can't give away spider crabs, they all go to Spain. The Spanish have pretty much fished out their waters, the majority now comes frozen from seas a long way from Spain. There's nothing wrong with any of these products, but the majority of Spanish fish is not freshly caught along the Spanish coast.
From Seafood Scotland.
Markets for shellfish are principally European export,
The 3 main markets for Scottish langoustine are France, Spain and Italy.
The main European market for crab is France, followed by Spain and Portugal.
Spain, France and Italy are important markets for whole shell scallops
Squid is marketed directly to Spain.

Last edited by agoreira; Oct 1st 2010 at 10:34 am.
Old Oct 1st 2010, 10:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

English dont.
As was said in a previous thread, it's a bit like the wine, you'd better like Spanish wine, because there isn't too much of a choice of anything else! I like Spanish wine, but I also enjoy Chilean, New Zealand, the odd Australian from time to time.
Old Oct 1st 2010, 10:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Go to Hipercor then. Or the local market. Mercadona is a budget low-end supermarket, what do you expect!

Or better still, go to your local market

There are many wonderful Spanish cheeses. For example, Asturias makes more varieties of cheese than any other region in the world and the goats cheeses around the Montes de Malaga and Ronda areas are delicious.

Spain is great for artesan, local produce and pretty rubbish for mass produced processed food!
Old Oct 1st 2010, 10:57 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by agoreira
Bit like the tons of of "fresh Spanish" seafood that starts it's life in Scotland. Also if you went to Milford Haven fishmarket, you'd see container lorries from Spain, nearly all the fish goes there. Here you can't give away spider crabs, they all go to Spain. The Spanish have pretty much fished out their waters, the majority now comes frozen from seas a long way from Spain. There's nothing wrong with any of these products, but the majority of Spanish fish is not freshly caught along the Spanish coast.
In short, Spain has a far greater range of fish/seafood in its shops/supermarkets than the UK
I'm told that the UK supermarkets are better because their range in most things is greater eg asparagus or beans from Africa, fruit from New Zealand or South Africa etc. Which is all very well, but I wish the likes of Tesco would promote home-grown produce a bit more - as I mentioned earlier UK apples are great, but they seem to get ignored by the likes of Tesco. I've been told Waitrose stock the British variety, so maybe I'll trek to that store (not having a garden and apple tree ) in order to eat some home-grown fruit!
Old Oct 1st 2010, 11:09 am
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
In short, Spain has a far greater range of fish/seafood in its shops/supermarkets than the UK
I'm told that the UK supermarkets are better because their range in most things is greater eg asparagus or beans from Africa, fruit from New Zealand or South Africa etc. Which is all very well, but I wish the likes of Tesco would promote home-grown produce a bit more - as I mentioned earlier UK apples are great, but they seem to get ignored by the likes of Tesco. I've been told Waitrose stock the British variety, so maybe I'll trek to that store (not having a garden and apple tree ) in order to eat some home-grown fruit!

Morrisons and the Co-op also have locally sourced food - all Morrison's meat is British and most of their veg.
Old Oct 1st 2010, 11:17 am
BE Forum Addict

whitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe

I've been told Waitrose stock the British variety, so maybe I'll trek to that store (not having a garden and apple tree ) in order to eat some home-grown fruit!
No need to treck...they deliver
Old Oct 1st 2010, 11:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

So do Hipercor! Seriously people, I am a big advocate as you see
Old Oct 1st 2010, 11:22 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, but I am neither rich nor lazy. I will engage Shanks' pony...
Old Oct 1st 2010, 11:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Relampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG
My wife is in the UK at the moment and we both go back regularly for family and other reasons. Each time, apart from the things we went back for, we reconnoitre (thank God for the spell check) the possibility of returning if we really have to.

She was complaining bitterly about the amount of foreigners where she is (in east London), and I reminded her that we are foreigners in the country we live in. ‘It’s different.’ she said, implying that we are the same colour, although a bit lighter, than our Spanish neighbours.

The flat we have left in London is in an area full of Mosques, white people are a rarity. And I’m trying hard not to sound racist, which I’m not, but I prefer the company of people I can relate to easily and places of worship that will welcome me. I’ve been to Pembrokeshire a few times and it’s a lovely place, but it always rained there when I was there.

I suppose if the wheel comes off, I’ll be standing at the cockle sheds at Leigh on the Essex coast, in the pissing rain, wondering what the hell went wrong. Or right.
The blame of all this has it our rubbish of political class, the managers to hire cheap manpower and the all the mob of left. They want to convert us in foreigners in our own land
Old Oct 1st 2010, 12:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Relampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by raddickle
Well as someone said it 'swings and roundabouts'. I always manage to live very frugally in Spain but that is down to the fact I buy what is available and of course the cost of booze is much much cheaper.
In England I could live just as cheaply but I don't because there is much more choice. ie I will buy Maris Piper or Desiree potatoes rather than the cheaper 'whites'. I don't have that choice in Spain
Good, to buy cheap I have many options, as Mercadona or Lidl...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.