Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Supermarkets...better in Spain? or in UK?

Supermarkets...better in Spain? or in UK?

Old Dec 6th 2008, 5:33 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Supermarkets...better in Spain? or in UK?

Originally Posted by arko
Beat me to it.
yep, first recorded in 1680 in Belgium I think
Old Dec 6th 2008, 6:06 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Oh dear. Think your reply says it all. If I said that in some restaurants they were spending thousands of euros on research into new methods of cooking you'd still say, 'but still haven't been given any dishes'. Do you want me to bother to investigate every restaurant in every region and every city to tell you what chefs are doing. Have the time of your life, and experience it yourself.

But, someone made a sweeping statement that Spanish food has incorparated food from different countries, surely someone could come up with an example...I would say those cloying polverones came from Morrocco (just a guess) any other examples. Didn't think we were just discussing solely restaurants, started with Spanish cooking.
Old Dec 6th 2008, 6:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

featherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo
But, someone made a sweeping statement that Spanish food has incorparated food from different countries, surely someone could come up with an example...I would say those cloying polverones came from Morrocco (just a guess) any other examples. Didn't think we were just discussing solely restaurants, started with Spanish cooking.
what's cloying?
Old Dec 6th 2008, 6:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

featherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond repute

I live in Huelva. Will only eat pata negra, the best there is. Now I've tasted the tastiest ham, why settle for anything less. If it's given to me, of course I won't be rude and turn it away; I think a lot of the complaints (not just in this thread, but in general) come about because people have tried to find the cheapest deal. If you buy a cheap meal, you can't complain if it's not good quality. I don't know of anywhere in my hometown in the UK where you can get an equivalent of the 'menu del dia' for 10 euros, and I would never dream of buying one.
ooh you got tired of jamon! i could use it as wallapaper i love it so much!

maybe thats why you are not all that keen on the food... get out there to some nice restaurants, and i am not talking about 250euro per head jobby, and enjoy the spanish food... i just love it, and missed it during my 12 yrs living in england!
and no more arguing now
good luck enjoying the spanish food!
Old Dec 6th 2008, 6:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
not been back, a massive change of plan, which in hindsight was a bloody good idea....

Lived in Spain for years, the last couple with my Basque fiance.

one of the finest chefs, if not THE finest chef in the world is Ferran Adrià who owns El Bulli, google it if you don't know about it, pure genius if food is your passion!!!

It is said that monks in the north of Spain wrote a book of regional recipes hundreds of years ago and this book was taken to France and made up the basis of French Haute Cuisine.

did you live in the basque country??

thanks for the recommendation but i read further on and i cant afford it on my teacher's wages
we do have some excellent restaurants in san sebastian, i could never get tired of the gorgeous shellfish and meat we have here!
Old Dec 6th 2008, 6:30 pm
Forum Regular

arko is a name known to allarko is a name known to allarko is a name known to allarko is a name known to allarko is a name known to allarko is a name known to allarko is a name known to allarko is a name known to allarko is a name known to allarko is a name known to allarko is a name known to all

Originally Posted by jackytoo
Maybe I wasn't making myself clear. Spanish food is based on food from outside of Spain, as well as it's own 'native' dishes. The Moors brought rice, spices as well as the Jews who came from all parts of Northern Africa and further afield.

If we just look at the basics, Spanish eat spaghetti bolognese, pasta, rice dishes, etc. adapting it to their tastes, just as any other country does. Getting back to the original theme, all these things can be found in abundance in the supermarket.

It's shame you have such a downer on Spanish food. I think all cuisines have their little treasures.
Old Dec 6th 2008, 6:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

rachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond repute

As a vegetarian I know that choice can be limited in some bars and restaurants but you get to know which places offer more options.

As far as shopping for food to prepare at home goes I don't see where the problem is. Of course there were some things I missed at first but you soon find replacements. I've even found somewhere to buy dried soya.

I have taken note of the cheese recommendation a few pages back and will look out for it.
Old Dec 6th 2008, 6:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

ForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to all

Originally Posted by rachelk
I've even found somewhere to buy dried soya.

I have taken note of the cheese recommendation a few pages back and will look out for it.
That's good that you can get dried soya which is another good source of protein.

I've been eating cheese sandwiches for a long time way back when I was working in UK. I always make them overnight & leave them in the fridge as I don't have the time in the morning before work.

In a lot of supermarkets in UK they do sell a low fat cheeses like dutch edam in Uk but in Canada I buy Kraft & supermaket brand low fat cheeses. I'm concerned about cholestrol & saturated fats & so the lower fat ones are better. I'm not sure if they do sell low fat cheeses in Spanish supermarkets.
Old Dec 6th 2008, 6:54 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Well it's not low-fat by any means, but Cabrales cheese is awesome! Still, no need to miss it if you're stuck in the UK like I currently am - Stilton is also top league stuff.
Old Dec 6th 2008, 7:00 pm
Forum Regular

Sarleon has a brilliant futureSarleon has a brilliant futureSarleon has a brilliant futureSarleon has a brilliant futureSarleon has a brilliant futureSarleon has a brilliant futureSarleon has a brilliant futureSarleon has a brilliant future

I don't think I've ever met a Spanish person who's had a sandwich for lunch. Maybe for tea, but never for lunch.
Many in Barcelona wave a foil covered bocadillo at the bus driver in the morning on the way to work.

It's not my cup of tea though - munching through 1/2 a dry and crunchy french stick filled with jamon y queso...
Old Dec 6th 2008, 7:05 pm
Forum Regular

Sarleon has a brilliant futureSarleon has a brilliant futureSarleon has a brilliant futureSarleon has a brilliant futureSarleon has a brilliant futureSarleon has a brilliant futureSarleon has a brilliant futureSarleon has a brilliant future

Has anyone on here got any REALLY good recipies for traditional Spanish/Mediteranian dishes that work for the English palate????

With easy to find ingredients and that aren't too complicated to cook of course!

???
Old Dec 6th 2008, 7:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sarleon
Has anyone on here got any REALLY good recipies for traditional Spanish/Mediteranian dishes that work for the English palate????

With easy to find ingredients and that aren't too complicated to cook of course!

???
My god I had a brief look earlier, thought of a few things to add (bearing in mind Lynnxa's observation about TIO) & then the system hung & I had to go to son & heir's tennis lessons blah de blah blah blah.......
wtf (to quote) is an English palate? What's wrong with Spanish cheese for cooking? Yes you can get seeded bread. Haven't read enough of the thread to answer more of the points. OK we may occasionally want a UK 'fix' but surely we didn't come here expecting everything in the supermarkets to be the same did we?
Old Dec 6th 2008, 7:18 pm
Forum Regular

I will eat anything to be honest - I eat Colombian food mainly as my husband does a lot of the cooking in our flat!

...i was just thinking about the 'majority' on this thread that were complaining at the beginning about the repetition of jamon, marisco and queso day in day out...

Some more adventurous recipies would suit me! POST AWAY!
Old Dec 7th 2008, 5:12 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerezgirl
jeeeezzzz, some people's ignorance never fails to amaze me either.

My nickname is Jerez girl. I'm a girl, from Jerez.

Population. two hundred thousand.

If I were ignorant I would probably be content eating little more than ham, cheese, puchero, guisos and rock hard bread.
rugbymatt isn't from rugby

the oddities aren't really odd

& I don't think featherbum really has a featherybum
Old Dec 7th 2008, 5:18 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by crispy
I didn't know that I had said I hadn't noticed, I was just making a point that it didn't matter if it was lunch or tea as long as it was a decent slice of bread and for me that would be an uncut brown loaf with lots of seeds and oats on it. I'm not a complete moron I know most Spainish people would not have a sandwich for lunch, have you ever tried to get a decent sandwich anywhere in Spain at lunch time. Not known in my area at all.
have you tried 5 semillas from mercadona?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.